One handed chi sao .....

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
I do not see this practiced that much anymore. Are their any isolated benefits from this compared to normal chi sao?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could you elaborate a little on this, jkd?

I ask because I had to give up my empty handed art many years ago due to 'structural damage' from a bike smash - I looked for an art I could do 'one handed' but did not succeed so I'm clearly interested if there is a sub-style of JKD that I might be able to study.

simplicity

Green Belt
Reaction score
Its called ....."Don Chi", Bruce Lee did it in the early days

Keep "IT" Real,
John McNabney

simplicity

Green Belt
Reaction score
I do not see this practiced that much anymore. Are their any isolated benefits from this compared to normal chi sao?

Yes, it educate one side of the body and it does the same thing with your brain, so to speak

Keep "IT" Real,
John McNabney

joeygil

Green Belt
Reaction score
Could you elaborate a little on this, jkd?

I ask because I had to give up my empty handed art many years ago due to 'structural damage' from a bike smash - I looked for an art I could do 'one handed' but did not succeed so I'm clearly interested if there is a sub-style of JKD that I might be able to study.

JKD may be a good art to look into. As the art is based a lot on adaptation, a good instructor should be able to accomodate differences in body types. At the Inosanto Academy, I've practiced with someone with one functioning arm, seen wheelchair bound students, and have been instructed by a man of small stature. All the while Sifu Dan emphasizes that different techniques work best for different body types.

Oh, back to topic. We practice Don Chi still. It does seem like an isolation technique to step up to Seong Chi (sp?) / double sticky hands, which is just a drill to learn energy sensitivity in sparring or real fighting.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wing Chun has Don Chi Sao, which is a one handed drill, meant to build up to Chi Sao (with two hands). However, there are two drills between Don Chi Sao and Chi Sao.

Latest Discussions