One good reason for an angled stance.

OP
lansao

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Or, you might walk right into that first punch by moving in too early. Because, of course, he's thinking exactly the same thing. There aren't any good absolutes.

I’ll also add that your ability to move first is dependent on your opponent not already having done so. You are reacting to their lack of action.

OP
lansao

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
not quite following you there

It’s just an obnoxiously obvious statement. If you’re going to make the first move, you do it knowing your opponent hasn’t made his/hers. You’re reacting to their stasis.

It’s like saying 0 is a number too.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It’s just an obnoxiously obvious statement. If you’re going to make the first move, you do it knowing your opponent hasn’t made his/hers. You’re reacting to their stasis.

ok my apologies

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No worries, all good. This reminds me of the 5 stages of combat I studied. Entry, contact, exchange, retreat, and pursuit. Any others have similar breakdowns?

That a hard one for my Art as there are conflicting views on that

OP
lansao

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That a hard one for my Art as there are conflicting views on that

You’re saying there are conflicting views? In martial arts? That’s wrong, I completely disagree with that, lol.

Funny the stuff we debate. What are the conflicting views? Always saw it as a simple breakdown to train each stage individually.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get where you are coming from but hey that the Aiki in you me thinks, If I am following you right then like I would you don't dive in you maintain your maai until you see what is going to go down ... you may as I would try and "steer " an unknown opponent into giving you something that you could use or just wait move keep aware and wait some more ....

As you say there are no absolutes in any fight and really until you face it you really can't say oh this or that will work, It hypothetical until it "goes down" and hopefully if we are all as MA aware enough maybe we can avoid or reduce the "going down" bit as the best fight is .........the one you never had.
Some confusion in your first sentence, but I think I got the gist of your post. Yes, this is part of my point. By waiting, I'm not necessarily letting them dictate the fight. I can control distance and angles while I wait, allow openings (and false openings) to draw them into the attack I want. Letting them attack first (which most aiki arts focus on) isn't the same as just passively waiting to see what happens.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll also add that your ability to move first is dependent on your opponent not already having done so. You are reacting to their lack of action.
An interesting philosophical point. If, in a match/contest/fight/sparring session, they initiate attack the first instant the thing starts, you have to deal with that. If they don't, then you can react to their (apparent) inaction by initiating an attack. Both are responses to the situation partly created by your opponent.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

Zero is a number...

But anyway.

Attacking first is fine in some situations, like a match or other organised fight.

But a sustained attack in 'response' to posturing makes you the aggressor.

OP
lansao

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Zero is a number...

But anyway.

Attacking first is fine in some situations, like a match or other organised fight.

Yes, it is lol.

OP
lansao

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Zero is a number...

But anyway.

Yeah, first strike only makes sense when you’re either entirely sure you’re in danger (break-ins etc) or in a ring. Otherwise you’re picking a fight.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You’re saying there are conflicting views? In martial arts? That’s wrong, I completely disagree with that, lol.

Funny the stuff we debate. What are the conflicting views? Always saw it as a simple breakdown to train each stage individually.

I meant there is conflicting views within Aikido far less any more lol

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some confusion in your first sentence, but I think I got the gist of your post. Yes, this is part of my point. By waiting, I'm not necessarily letting them dictate the fight. I can control distance and angles while I wait, allow openings (and false openings) to draw them into the attack I want. Letting them attack first (which most aiki arts focus on) isn't the same as just passively waiting to see what happens.

sorry for confusion ...that is what I was getting at waiting is not necessarily passive ...

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To me from an Aikido standpoint it may look like I made the first "attack" but as @gpseymour said contolling the angles and distance etc that in itself can create an opening thereby you go for it and it may look like you attacked first,however from my standpoint I would not have if that makes sense lol

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, first strike only makes sense when you’re either entirely sure you’re in danger (break-ins etc) or in a ring. Otherwise you’re picking a fight.
Not necessary. Your opponent attacks you, you jump back. You then jump back in.

Of course the best situation is when you opponent attacks you, you attack him at the same time. This way, you only need to move in half way.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That directly contradicts "attack first" though...
When there is a conflict, before you have decided whether you want to fight or not, suddenly your opponent attacks you.

After you have decided that you want to fight, but you are still waiting for your opponent to make his first move, that will be contradiction.

D

Deleted member 39746

I will keep my eye out on a thesis of the mathematical applications of martial arts and which one has the best formula. :p

(TBF, that could actually be your university dissertation anyway.)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No worries, all good. This reminds me of the 5 stages of combat I studied. Entry, contact, exchange, retreat, and pursuit. Any others have similar breakdowns?

Or retreat, pursuit, entry, contact, exchange if you are counter fighting.

Or pursuit exchange, then more exchange untill one of you falls over if you pressure fight.