One famous image, two different photographers, two different results.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The OKC bombing resulted in this iconic photograph:

2879135686_525164b550.jpg

Interesting, and eye-opening story here:
http://www.famouspictures.org/mag/index.php?title=Oklahoma_City_Bombing

Two photographers took nearly the same photo, Chris Porter and Lester LaRue. Porter won a pulitzer, but abandoned photography for a career in PT. LaRue, who was on company time and using a company camera, was termed from his job after 32 years, and was ordered to pay statutory damages to his employer.

Wow.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That truly is a very moving image. A sadness that the bitter side of human nature intruded in some of the lives of those directly hurt by the tragedy but understandable nontheless.

I read through the attendant article and it is this paragraph, strangely, that especially made my breath catch in my throat and tears sting in my eyes:

"Chris by all accounts didn’t let the attention go to his head; he didn’t even consider himself a hero. How could he when everyone he tried to save that day was dead or died later of their injuries."

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow that is such a traumatic and yet poignant story from all angles. Thank you for posting Carol
Jenna x

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The fact that one photo was chosen over another of virtually the same subject is common. Which one really makes the IMPACT desired by the editor?
It makes the story no less poignant and definitely no less tragic.

It would stand to reason that the firefighter picture has more impact because of the (correct) stereotype that is affixed to those brave individuals who call it their job. They're there to help people and rescue them from disastrous situations, this is what people have fixed in their minds.

The police officer's job is very similar in most respects but seeing the injured baby in his arms would have a sort of mental (subconscious) conflict in the mind. Arresting someone, leading people out of harms way because they're being shot at, etc. That would be more in tune I think to how people would view an LEO.
It is a good bet that a lot of fire-rescues are conducted by police officers because typically they're the first on the scene and the building isn't in full burning mode. Of the fires I've seen I have spied police officers being given first aid for smoke inhalation. Hmm, how does one suppose he ended up that way?

Either way, the fireman photo has become iconic. What happened just before or after is moot in the eyes of history and in the minds of the people viewing the photo.

:asian: to all those who worked so hard on that terrible day.

Latest Discussions