Once a black belt...

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you earned your blackbelt you are always a blackbelt,however, you may not always be a martial artist.

That is a very interesting and well-taken view of it...just as a Ph.D. in economics who taught university for a few years, decided tenure wasn't in the offing, went to law school and wound up practicing tax law till retirement wouldn't be an economist at that point... but they'd still be a Ph.D in economics.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
we have a new student and his son in our dojo.. my understanding is that he is a BB in a different system of Shorin Ryu.. I noticed that he is wearing a white belt and starting like any other student. ..I think that is a good sign.. I have no doubt that he has skills.. he moves like he has trained long and hard .. if with a few years brake. I was kinda shocked to be addressed as " sir" and "sempi".. but the man is provably very competent from what I saw in the system he studied before. ...... I have a hunch its his choice to wear the white belt.. Sensei has let others from other systems who have earned a BB wear their belt from that system.. they were trained and went up the ranks like any one else.. but wore the BB and lined up with the Black belts.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I earned a trophy in NASKA, would it be invalidated if I stopped competing with NASKA and then started to compete in NBL/SKI?

To put it another way, I won a couple of Golden Gloves titles when I was much younger. I can't compete with them now, does that mean that I never was a Champ?

All our belts are are trophies that we happen to wear around our waist.

Ther'e symbols of accomplishment.

Any other meaning we attatch to them is an artificial construct.As an individual we may think it means that we have a duty to uphold a samurai like devotion to duty and honor. An organization may(and usually does) use it as a social lever to reward and enforce continued obedience and conformity. It makes us look cool at parties, fuss over the "validity" of other peoples rank, complain about kids promotions to Super Grand Poobah, and eat or liver and brussle sprouts.Maybe if we didn't take the whole subject so seriously we could get on with our training.

Just a thought
Mark

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
..Always a black belt?

On another thread I was shocked into realizing that in some systems, it may be possible for one to lose a black belt, as in, have it taken away. Say it ain't so! :O How can this happen? Only under special circumstances, I hope..?

In Kenpo, my understanding was that once somebody was a black belt it was considered a forever thing. Yes, a person could cease training and go rusty, get out of shape, etc. but that in itself would not strip them of their rank. OTOH if they wanted to pick up again and train for the next level they would have some catching up to do of course. But taken away? It seems like sacriledge.

Please educate me about this! I don't ever want to "lose it" from whatever style I study.

The bottom of the standard Parker Kenpo Patch represents the executioner's ax. It represents how one could be "cut off" from the organization or art if one disgraces it or misuses what they have learned.

That being said, nobody can suck knowledge out or your head (unless their a squidipuss from Planet X or something....or a mindflayer...lol) If you've "learned" something it is yours.

In short, you may have your "rank" revoked but not your "knowledge."

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
What about the ma organizations that say your black belt lapses or "expires" if you don't pay the yearly associational dues?
I say once a black belt, then always.

AoG

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
we have a new student and his son in our dojo.. my understanding is that he is a BB in a different system of Shorin Ryu.. I noticed that he is wearing a white belt and starting like any other student. ..I think that is a good sign..

It's ironic. By humbly donning a white belt and expecting no favors, it sounds as though this man has earned more respect in your dojo than if he'd insisted on wearing his black belt from the other system. Interesting.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's ironic. By humbly donning a white belt and expecting no favors, it sounds as though this man has earned more respect in your dojo than if he'd insisted on wearing his black belt from the other system. Interesting.

If I start another system, I would start as a white belt unless the instructor chose otherwise. If I'm new to a system, then I'm a white belt - although I've been in a few situations where the instructor has had students with BBs in other styles start at BB, or some intermediate rank, so that when sparring occurred the other students knew what to expect from that student, and I can see that as well.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the 'black belt' is nothing more than an external symbol of internal strength. without a continued practice it's much like the prince who becomes a pauper. looks a little rediculous wearing that crown, but guess he's entitled to it.

pete

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
..Always a black belt?

On another thread I was shocked into realizing that in some systems, it may be possible for one to lose a black belt, as in, have it taken away. Say it ain't so! :O How can this happen? Only under special circumstances, I hope..?

In Kenpo, my understanding was that once somebody was a black belt it was considered a forever thing. Yes, a person could cease training and go rusty, get out of shape, etc. but that in itself would not strip them of their rank. OTOH if they wanted to pick up again and train for the next level they would have some catching up to do of course. But taken away? It seems like sacriledge.

Please educate me about this! I don't ever want to "lose it" from whatever style I study.

I have heard of people being kicked out of organizations and having their rank taking away.

I agree that the top man or group can remove people from the published list of people of are listed as respected teachers within their organization.

It does not mean that if this happens the person has somehow been given memory loss to loose all they learned.

The examples I have seen and heard about were those that were child molesters, people who defrauded a school or seminar participants or stole money from the seniors or what have you.

I have also seen it directly by those who presume to take charge of an organization and not recognize a rank until one tests under them. I just replied as they never tested in front of me or under me I do not recognize their rank or title in return. In the end, more people respect me for my actions and skill set then they respect the person I speak of.

So it does happen, but from my experience it is not an everyday thing. It also usually required someone to do something big that would end friendships or even cause families to think twice about interacting with the person.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If I start another system, I would start as a white belt unless the instructor chose otherwise. If I'm new to a system, then I'm a white belt - although I've been in a few situations where the instructor has had students with BBs in other styles start at BB, or some intermediate rank, so that when sparring occurred the other students knew what to expect from that student, and I can see that as well.
I do the same. If I have a new student who is a black somewhere else start with me, I give them a belt that always has a black stripe down the center. Serves several purposes:
1) Lets everyone else know they have prior training - again good for multiple reasons.
2) Shows their own respect for starting over again.
3) Honors their previous work while showing their accomplishments within the current system they're training in.

Whenever I go somewhere I wear whatever belt the instructor asks me to.