On the question of abdominal and core training?

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
Thought I'd add this in here, not quite sure where it would be applicable! Can kicks, as in mutliple kicks of every kind make up for abdominal and core workouts?
In terms of classes, if there is a time issue, should the teacher teach specific adominal and core exercises, or would praticing techiniques replicate the exercises?
In terms of personal training, if you are lacking in time, is it more useful to pratice techiniques and the art and gain some enhancement or focus on specific core and abdominal exercises until you reach the level you want to be?
Can specific kicks and martial art movements make up for core and abdominal exericses! for example, would holding you leg in the air horizontally, and bring it slowly back and forth praticing a side kick produce a similar workout and tone the abdominal muscles as doing some sit-ups (for the sake of arguement) would?

Regards

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it really depends, because there are so many muscles that can compensate for a weak core. For example, in lordotic individuals, while they can train to kick fairly well and have a fair amount of power, the fact that the pelvis is canted belies abdominal and core weakness.

Now, if the instructor is there to ensure proper posture and chambering, that might be abated, but that really involves a class focused mainly on the fundamentals of posture and stance and is quite time-intensive. Now, while I think this is a CORE piece of training *pun intended* I think some of that time can be better spent just focusing on core strength.

Since core strength is so vital to so many, many facets of health and fitness, why not just include it anyway?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Hi,
Thought I'd add this in here, not quite sure where it would be applicable! Can kicks, as in mutliple kicks of every kind make up for abdominal and core workouts?

Just speaking from my own experiences, I'd say not really. I left off ab work with that very thought for a while, but I only saw losses vs maintenence or gains strengthwise.

Latest Discussions