On dealing with KenpoPhobes

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Sami Ibrahim

Sami Ibrahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Or they simply just don't like it and think it is rubbish. I have no issues with anyone in the kenpo world but I will happily point out things that I consider negatives and things the art could do a lot better doesn't mean I hate the art. Jeff speakman added grappling to his kenpo is he a "kenpophobe" because he obviously thought the lack of grappling was a weakness
You mean he identified a weakness in HIS Kenpo and fixed it without quitting Kenpo and without getting on forums and crying about how the problem is Kenpo's fault.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You mean he identified a weakness in HIS Kenpo and fixed it without quitting Kenpo and without getting on forums and crying about how the problem is Kenpo's fault.
No all kenpo has that weakness since there's no ground game In any kenpo so he doesn't teach American kenpo he has basically his own style now

OP
Sami Ibrahim

Sami Ibrahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ed Parker's approach to Kenpo is different from the approach of traditional Martial arts. The manuals are just guidelines for a starting point to exploring a violent scenario, you have to be a violence virgin to think that some scripted movements that you started with when exploring a violent situation is expected to be followed by enemies in the real world. To get functional with Kenpo you have to train realistically, if you think the lesson ends when you memorized some choreography that is your own stupidity not a problem with the art.

OP
Sami Ibrahim

Sami Ibrahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
No all kenpo has that weakness since there's no ground game In any kenpo so he doesn't teach American kenpo he has basically his own style now

Wrong, many people train and teach how to apply levers, fulcrums, locks, chokes, strangles, neck cranks, stomps, other ground components and take down defenses because American Kenpo is designed to deal with the mode of fighting prevalent on our streets today, with the popularity of UFC, BJJ etc American Kenpo instructors should be keeping to the founders definition.

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ed Parker's approach to Kenpo is different from the approach of traditional Martial arts. The manuals are just guidelines for a starting point to exploring a violent scenario, you have to be a violence virgin to think that some scripted movements that you started with when exploring a violent situation is expected to be followed by enemies in the real world. To get functional with Kenpo you have to train realistically, if you think the lesson ends when you memorized some choreography that is your own stupidity not a problem with the art.
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Okay whatever you like to think. I'll give you what you want. Kenpo is absolutely perfect and should be treated like a religion and is so perfect and ed Parker is a god who did everything perfect and we are not worthy we are kenpophobes who nothing. You have shown us the light and bought us out of the dark we are now so enlightened thank you grandmaster. Apologies for us being such failures. I will burn my gi and black belt tonight since I am such a failure compared to a master like you

Does that make you happy now? Maybe you can stop ranting everywhere now because everyone here isn't in love with kenpo

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay where does American kenpo have any grappling in it. Show me one example of ground fighting
Kenpo has introductions to the concept, but the original business model did not include grappling, and for business reasons, it does, now. At the time, the idea was that you would take a grappling class, when you wanted to study grappling. :D

OP
Sami Ibrahim

Sami Ibrahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know but this guys saying that if you don't love every technique then you must have failed at kenpo and not do it anymore...quite honestly I really hope this guy doesn't teach because if he goes round telling his students that all the techniques work perfectly he'll end up getting some killed.

You have an obvious mental handicap that keeps you from understanding what I type. I'm certain your just a coward who will hide behind anonymity while twisting what I have repeatedly clarified. You should continue to train with your teacher who teaches you impractical nonsense as Kenpo, you deserve each other, I'm fairly certain your exactly where you are at in the art because of your own short comings. Please refrain from misquoting me further.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The main problem with ground-fighting is that it isn't safe. So, kenpo works a few escapes, but advises against going to the ground, if you can help it.
Yeah but the thing is especially these sometimes that isn't practical. What with mma coming in. More and more people know how to grapple. And sure kenpo has escapes from bear hugs or grabs and standing chokes there's no real defence on what to do if you get on the floor. Of course you don't want to go down but the point is what if you do that's where grappling has its advantages

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have an obvious mental handicap that keeps you from understanding what I type. I'm certain your just a coward who will hide behind anonymity while twisting what I have repeatedly clarified. You should continue to train with your teacher who teaches you impractical nonsense as Kenpo, you deserve each other, I'm fairly certain your exactly where you are at in the art because of your own short comings. Please refrain from misquoting me further.
Yeah I'm shaking in my boots mate I'm terrified yeah so scared. I'm happy where I am thanks and my instructor got his first second and third dan off ed Parker, his 4th and 5th 6th 7th 8th off lee wedlake so I think he knows his stuff. I've been training for over 30 years and have just got my black belt so I understand the art fine thank you. Go back to crying because we don't all worship kenpo

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK start a thread on it, introduce yourself (real name) mine is Sami Ibrahim and I will discuss it with you. To answer your question Yes I have studied other arts and I enjoy cross referencing Kenpo with other arts, I am not guilty of the same phobia and as to what era I would like to discuss the current era of Kenpo as that seems more relevant than people making claims about what it was like back in the day in the secret lair where Mr. Parker kept his real students.
why start another thread on the same subject ? that makes no sense. now after you made a few more posts, i believe you are angry that other people will say that kenpo sucks. to put it bluntly.
you keep using the term "failure" how is someone a failure? that is a very strong statement and it presupposes many negative and condescending accusations.
i did kenpo for many years and after 3rd dan from a very good master, i decided it wasnt for me and found something i like better. are you saying i am a failure at kenpo? because i would say i was pretty frikin good.

OP
Sami Ibrahim

Sami Ibrahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
my instructor got his first second and third dan off ed Parker, his 4th and 5th 6th 7th 8th off lee wedlake so I think he knows his stuff. I've been training for over 30 years and have just got my black belt so I understand the art fine thank you.

Well anyone can make up a false lineage when they don't use there real name so no one can verify who they are but I believe someone like you could spend 30 years in Kenpo glued to Ed Parker's side and still fail to get it!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kenpo has introductions to the concept, but the original business model did not include grappling, and for business reasons, it does, now. At the time, the idea was that you would take a grappling class, when you wanted to study grappling. :D
Um...did you say...business model?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well anyone can make up a false lineage when they don't use there real name so no one can verify who they are but I believe someone like you could spend 30 years in Kenpo glued to Ed Parker's side and still fail to get it!
I could but why would I. You think you're better than me because you use your real name? Well would you call any of us a coward or a failure if you met us in person? No you wouldn't and quite honestly the way you've acted on this thread I've lost all respect for you and I will not be answering you again and I will be putting you on ignore so I don't have to see the vile rubbish you come out with and I have also reported you due to the fact you have been insulting people and talking down on them and there instructors and have made personal attacks which is against the rules on this forum. Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions