On dealing with KenpoPhobes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am the one who used to train kenpo, but no longer do.
I know but this guys saying that if you don't love every technique then you must have failed at kenpo and not do it anymore...quite honestly I really hope this guy doesn't teach because if he goes round telling his students that all the techniques work perfectly he'll end up getting some killed.

OP
Sami Ibrahim

Sami Ibrahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wow...you need genuine help I think...

Kenpo is a great art but some stuff simply doesn't work and if ed Parker was still around today some of the stuff that's there now wouldn't be in kenpo he'd have gotten rid of it as times change. I didn't quit kenpo and I'm perfectly fine saying some of it doesn't work every style has it's weaknesses kenpo very much included.

And ill bring wedlake into it because he's said things don't work, graham lelliott one of his top black belts say thee are things that doesn't work. Saying that isn't disrespecting it its being honest. I love kenpo but there are things that don't work

Wow... you need genuine help I think... understanding that Kenpo is not the choreography.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow... you need genuine help I think... understanding that Kenpo is not the choreography.
I understand perfectly what kenpo and that some techniques as they're written do not work they just don't there's some awful techniques in the system that simply wouldn't work on a fully committed attacker. There's many that do work but there's also some that don't plain and simple. I've trained with 7th 8th and 9th dans and all of them have said that some techniques don't work are you saying your kenpo is better than there's?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my years of kenpo, I have come to realize there are several types: Sport influenced; which I call Kickboxing kenpo (Jeff Speakman stuff); Center Line Based, which is what I do, and it is a lot like Wing Chun, or a stick fighting art; TKD based, which is a lot of kicking, and not a lot of kenpo; And You name it on a practitioner blending what he knows with kenpo, which is a new filter, and therefore a new kenpo. o_O

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No I am not saying that if a Kenpo practitioner doesn't like all the techniques in the system they are a KenpoPhobe. I do personally like all the techniques in the Kenpo I do but liking and not liking a technique is different from painting with a wide brush and blaming the art for my own failures and even that is different from pretending to be an expert in the art after having been a failure at it and quitting. The art is not for everyone, their are plenty of excellent martial arts out there, if you look hard enough you will find one that works for you I only take issue with the ones that haunt the Kenpo world with their long dead kenpo to play the I am an expert card all the while criticizing and putting down the art, their expertise being based on their failed attempts at the art.
Liking them are fine but saying they all work is another thing you can like a technique and still acknowledge it's not practical

OP
Sami Ibrahim

Sami Ibrahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
So back to the topic, When dealing with KenpoPhobia the best treatment is to get into specifics, to get in-depth about how that person trained or executed a particular aspect of the art and caused them to fail repeatedly but the problem is that even if you than tell them how easily they could fix the problem, you will discover that they have yet another excuse or issue ready to go because they have no interest in success with Kenpo, they are simply trying to tout the superiority of whatever it is they have moved on to after they failed at Kenpo.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So back to the topic, When dealing with KenpoPhobia the best treatment is to get into specifics, to get in-depth about how that person trained or executed a particular aspect of the art and caused them to fail repeatedly but the problem is that even if you than tell them how easily they could fix the problem, you will discover that they have yet another excuse or issue ready to go because they have no interest in success with Kenpo, they are simply trying to tout the superiority of whatever it is they have moved on to after they failed at Kenpo.
Or even easier you could simply move on with your life

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know you only made a few comments in that thread as well and not even saying anything bad.
There is some history there and a sister website, kenpotalk.com which is mostly a ghost town now and gets very little traffic.

About eight years or so ago, as I was having doubts about my kenpo training, I made some comments that were negative, and I ruffled some feathers and perhaps made an enemy or two. I actually dont think Sami was on that site during that time, but he joined later. Maybe he read some of my earlier stuff. Anyway, I was sorting out some issues and frustrations and doubts, and yes, I said some negative things along the way.

After that, I stepped back from it all and generally refrained from joining discussions about kenpo specifics, like techs and forms and such. I mostly kept my comments limited to where it seemed that input from an outsider might be appropriate or useful. And sometimes I think that could be a good reality-check, which is sometimes necessary on a single-topic website like Kenpotalk. People can get blinded when they are always preaching to the choir. I think Martialtalk has greater potential for honest discussion because people from all backgrounds can chime in, it's not just kenpophiles all waving the kenpo banner at each other.

So anyway, there is some history. But I stand my my assassin comments.

OP
Sami Ibrahim

Sami Ibrahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Seriously, it seems like almost 98% of every time someone is dogging Kenpo, you dig into their past and find they have some past axe to grind, some fall out with the founder or they didn't get included in the in-crowd of his inner circle or they studied with someone who just took their money and didn't bother actually teaching them anything but the surface movement or they invented their own system or they went to do something else and are now trying to sell their latest "thang" as the hot shiznit.

OP
Sami Ibrahim

Sami Ibrahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Liking them are fine but saying they all work is another thing you can like a technique and still acknowledge it's not practical

Lets say your teacher taught you a technique in Kenpo that was not practical, why didn't you convince your teacher to fix it so it was practical, I mean your smart enough to see that something you were taught had no practical training value so why didn't you fix it, you know that is allowed right?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seriously, it seems like almost 98% of every time someone is dogging Kenpo, you dig into their past and find they have some past axe to grind, some fall out with the founder or they didn't get included in the in-crowd of his inner circle or they studied with someone who just took their money and didn't bother actually teaching them anything but the surface movement or they invented their own system or they went to do something else and are now trying to sell their latest "thang" as the hot shiznit.
Or they simply just don't like it and think it is rubbish. I have no issues with anyone in the kenpo world but I will happily point out things that I consider negatives and things the art could do a lot better doesn't mean I hate the art. Jeff speakman added grappling to his kenpo is he a "kenpophobe" because he obviously thought the lack of grappling was a weakness

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lets say your teacher taught you a technique in Kenpo that was not practical, why didn't you convince your teacher to fix it so it was practical, I mean your smart enough to see that something you were taught had no practical training value so why didn't you fix it, you know that is allowed right?
Because my instructor knows more than I do and I honestly really don't care I do kenpo for fun and to get out the house a bit. I know I can fight if I need to so I don't need to start rewriting the system.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is some history there and a sister website, kenpotalk.com which is mostly a ghost town now and gets very little traffic.

About eight years or so ago, as I was having doubts about my kenpo training, I made some comments that were negative, and I ruffled some feathers and perhaps made an enemy or two. I actually dont think Sami was on that site during that time, but he joined later. Maybe he read some of my earlier stuff. Anyway, I was sorting out some issues and frustrations and doubts, and yes, I said some negative things along the way.

After that, I stepped back from it all and generally refrained from joining discussions about kenpo specifics, like techs and forms and such. I mostly kept my comments limited to where it seemed that input from an outsider might be appropriate or useful. And sometimes I think that could be a good reality-check, which is sometimes necessary on a single-topic website like Kenpotalk. People can get blinded when they are always preaching to the choir. I think Martialtalk has greater potential for honest discussion because people from all backgrounds can chime in, it's not just kenpophiles all waving the kenpo banner at each other.

So anyway, there is some history. But I stand my my assassin comments.
I don't understand why this guys getting so upset. You have your opinion which your allowed. This may sound rude but it's not meant to be rube but I don't care what you think...I say that as in if you hate kenpo then so what it doesn't affect me but this guys taking it as a personal insult.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't understand why this guys getting so upset. You have your opinion which your allowed. This may sound rude but it's not meant to be rube but I don't care what you think...I say that as in if you hate kenpo then so what it doesn't affect me but this guys taking it as a personal insult.
This is a discussion forum, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.