On Breaking the Rules

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in a very weird town.

Los Alamos, NM was never meant to be a “town,” of course-it was a temporary place to secretly develop and construct the atomic bombs used in WWII-after that, the land it was on was supposed to be returned to the homesteaders, Indians, and boy’s school that it had been seized from. Of course, that never happened, and now it’s a full fledged “city,” with a population of just over 12000-a population that swells to close to twice that during the work day. According the census, Los Alamos has the highest number of PhDs per capita in the U.S. It’s not unusual to see some of our “nutty professor” types showing up for lunch in their pajamas…of course, now they can claim to have started a fashion trend, but should they have? :lol: It’s the sort of place where you can see an atomic bomb at the carwash:

$bomb-wash3.jpg

No wonder such a small town has 40 churchesÂ…..:lol: (Of course thatÂ’s a modelÂ…:lfao: )

And we have wonderful free weekly summer concerts. Last Friday was the Red Elvises:

View attachment $red elvises.jpg

And, oddly, for such a small town, a Ferrari Owner’s Club, and an “Exotic Car Owner’s Club.” I went to a meeting or two, about a hundred years ago, but I’m not much of a joiner (Really Some day I’ll post about the Los Alamos Mountaineer’s Club….:lfao: ). Some Ferraris can be had pretty inexpensively, but you wouldn’t want one-I’ve often wondered how Tom Selleck managed to fit in a 308GTS for Magnum, P.I. never mind drive one-it’s a squeeze for me at 6’2”, and he’s 6’4”, only to find out they were specially modified just so that he could fit, with padding removed from the seats, the seats bolted in further back,and a smaller steering wheel installed…even then, his head was well above the windshield frame:

View attachment $tom selleck.jpg

You can probably pick up a decent 308 GTS for $15k, but wouldya wanta? This Ferrari talk may seem like a digression, but, trust me, itÂ’s not. Los Alamos, thoughÂ…..

Â…..like I said, an odd kind of town. IÂ’m glad I didnÂ’t grow up here, like Rita-thatÂ’s the wife-did.

One of Rita’s best “growing up in LA” stories is how, two weeks short of the end of her junior year in H.S., her calculus teacher told the class that they’d basically been taught all she had to offer them, and how Joey Martz, a kid in her class, stood up and proceeded to fill the next week with mathematical lectures that amazed the class and the teacher……Joey Martz, who has all the social grace of a cup of mud, but a genius IQ, went on to become head of the lab’s weapons division-a job that carries a salary somewhat above the president’s-as in the POTUS’s- and, not really being the sort to be adept at obtaining the company of women(see “social grace of a cup of mud”), spent his money on a big house with a really big garage for his………exotic cars. Joey-er, Joe Martz, who went on to be President of the Los Alamos Ferrari Owner’s Club, and the Los Alamos Exotic Car Owner’s Club-having not just two Ferraris, but a couple of NSX’s, a Detomaso Pantera (yeah, those aren’t that expensive, either…) and 2 Lamborghinis.
No, IÂ’m not jealous at all. :lol: Really, I canÂ’t even sit-that is to say fit- in all those cars but one of them, and, besides, I got Rita-thatÂ’s the wifeÂ…:lfao: And Joe does almost all his mechanical work himself, meticulously, and drives pretty well to boot-like me, he sought out higher levels of driverÂ’s ed to go with his equipment, so I donÂ’t begrudge him anything-give me my Porsche any day, though. :lol:

This all has another point, anyway, that puts this post in the Study, instead of the Locker RoomÂ….
There’s a document that ‘s been floating around the internet for about 15 years or so, now-you can find it on the NSX forum, and the Ferrari forums, and a few other places. It’s an Exotic Car Owner’s Code of Conduct, and it was originally penned by one Joe Martz:

1. My cars will always be clean and well presentable. I will ensure that my cars are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics are indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to present these cars to others at a high standard.
  2. I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I meet.
  3. Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I will actively encourage photographs. In particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.
  4. With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges to race my cars on open public roads.
  5. Operating my cars as God, Enzo, and Ferruccio (or Colin) intended will occur only on open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions, and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and will take appropriate defensive measures.
  6. I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies, etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone less fortunate than I.
  7. I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow up with purchasers of my cars to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced.
  8. I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets

And that brings us to rules 4 and 5 (I really don’t have much use for the other happy, friendly rules-I’m not “always” going to have a smile on my fact, and I have more time for volunteering than Joe ever did, so rule 6 is B.S., since, until recently, I didn’t have any time at all….:lol: )

Rule 5, though-a rule to break the rules-what a concept! Mind you, IÂ’m not averse to opening it up on some of the roads that we have out here, but even the highest powers of observation and diligence can preclude all dangers to myself and my vehicles when I do so-I once nailed a jackrabbit while doing about 135 mph, once, and-while I didnÂ’t crash, or even slow down, it did do significant damage to my front air damÂ….what was I supposed to do? Swerve for a jackrabbit and maybe crash? I donÂ’t think soÂ….:lol:
On the other hand, that Mask fellow from the TAPOUT crew could have used a little of Rule 5, I reckonÂ…Â…

I think if you’re breaking the rules ,though, and you know it, then you’re breaking the rules and that’s pretty much it: I did it;I’m glad I did it, and I’ll do it again. That’s why I have a radar detector and jamming equipment-so that I only get one very small speeding ticket every two years or so (usually for like 10 over, when I’ve often been violating the speed limit by doubling it :lfao: ) so that, most of the time, I get away with it. Which is, after all, an American tradition-we watch heist movies and root for criminals to steal something that belongs to someone else, and are most delighted when they get away with it-usually with a funny, Ocean’s 11,Italian Job, Hot Rock kind of twist. For years, the official start of summer where I grew up was a photo of a kid jumping off the railroad trestle over the Croton Reservoir-NYCs’s water supply. Illegal to jump off the trestle. Illegal to be on the tracks. Illegal to swim in the reservoir. The caption usually read, ”An unidentified teen (wink, wink, nudge, nudge…:lol: )executes a dangerous and illegal jump off the railroad trestle into the Croton Reservoir, signaling the beginning of summer” Of course, 9/11 probably changed that, and swimming in the reservoir might just be an act of terrorism, now.

There was even an article in this month’s Outside magazine on “breaking the rules,” and actually teaching your kids when it’s “okay” to break the rules, like swimming at that favorite swimming spot right underneath the sign that says “NO SWIMMING.” I gotta wonder, though, where we draw the line on this sort of behavior-not harming others? Only potentially harming ourselves? “Silly” rules? I’ve known people-too many, really-who skied in closed off areas-really good skiers, well within the limits of their ability, not harming anyone else-that were killed by avalanches for doing so-on that day, at any rate, they should clearly have obeyed the “AREA CLOSED” sign.

So, thatÂ’s pretty much my question, MTers-where do YOU draw the line?

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I speed quite a bit more than I should. Been caught for twice the limit more than once.

Thats about it though

mmartist

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am used to drive a bit over the speed limit. I know it is dangerous but I can't seem to help it. Btw you really do seem to live in an interesting place :D with interesting people.

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Well, yeah-people get speeding tickets. I deliberately drive well above the speed limit on occasion, so I risk not just speeding tickets, but citations for reckless driving and a bunch of other stuff, in spite of my training and my equipment.

I wasn't just talking about speeding, though-it's just a good personal example.

A lot of people-a few here on MT-smoke pot. I don't smoke anything-I can't-and I've been subject to random urinalysis as a condition of my employment since 1986-so even if I wanted to, I wouldn't. Likewise, though, there are those who work under the same conditions as I do, and they smoke pot-otherwise, no one would ever get caught. Some, though, are in a postition to not risk their employment, and smoke pot, and do so with no regard to where it came from, or what it took to get to them, and often with no thought of consequences-or they live in a jurisdiction where the consequences are minimalized, and worth the risk. In any case, it's a line that they cross-they're breaking the law, breaking a rule, and doing so consciously-and they get away with it, mostly.

Some people cheat on their taxes, or just don't pay them-they're breaking the rule, practically stealing, and they get away with it.....

Some people hunt or fish out of season-they're breaking a rule, and they get away with it.

Some people date or have sex with "underage" girls-as in a year less than the age of consent-one year-they're breaking a rule, and they get away with it-often with the girl's parent's tacit consent.

Where's your line?

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
WHen I go to the certain destinations, it's legal to buy Cuban cigars. I usually will risk bringing them into the country-customs rarely searches me, especially since up until recently I had a fancy gov't. ID to go with my passport-of course, if customs did search me, and did find them, they'd just keep them, so it's a relatively minor risk.....

of course, I'm breaking a rule, just to have a nice giveaway....:lfao:

Some, "on the left," apparently think it's okay to make a false call to the police, bringing a SWAT team down on those they are against-clearly it's niot, but it's a line they're willing to cross.....at the possible risk of being arrested themselves....
reminds me of something similar and far more dastardly I did to an associate-I won't go into the details here, but I thought he deserved it, and I thought it was worth the risk......

to put it another way, how much are you risking regularly-how much are you willing to risk?

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's one hell of a thought provoking puzzle.

Perhaps to personally suit me, I break it down to a basic. There's good guys and bad guys, and I'm a good guy. My line is drawn in the good guy world. As a good guy, I put a lot on the line - honor wise. So, I do whatever the hell I want in the privacy of my life. Good guys understand this, the hell with everyone else.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where's your line?

I have issues with certain aspects of intellectual property/copywrite laws as they stand, as I have posted in the past.

I also take issue with certain State laws that I feel are directly in violation of the second amendment, and have been proven so by recent SCOTUS rulings but still get enforced.

NOW... I'M NOT SAYING I BREAK ANY OF THOSE RULES...

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My wife often reminds me; "rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools". :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rules are like lies, some times they can be stretched. :)
Also a big part of rule keeping is, who set the rules in question, in the first place. Ones I adhere to unequivocally are my wife's, because they will come back to haunt me. Also, ones that may hurt other people. The rest for the most part are a moving target................... But, please don't hold me to it......... :)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is no reason to listen to me as I am an idiot to have reduced two vehicles to a parts list ( gtr had to get hauled off of its roof) and still I would say it is not the rules that are imposed by others as these are necessarily generic, they are never altruistic and are only set for conformity.. Only the standard of rule which you give to yourself is a useful guide. However, there SHOULD NOT be hubris in discerning!!! And who can do this????

In CERN they say today - Everyone is to set their own rules.. and next thing: singularity! and Switzerland is disappeared across the event horizon.. and that would be a terrible loss to the chocolate world.

Drawing your own line is all fine and well if you are certain you are drawing it true and straight and it is not drawn using with an implement forged out of your own presumption.. And how do you ever come by this certainty??

If you ever manage this then you would lend me your straight edge and I would rule some lines of my own.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The bassist for the Red Elvises seems to be breaking a lot of rules with that enormous triangle-shaped 3 string bass.

I WANT ONE!!! :drool: Melts my rockabilly heart ;)

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
The bassist for the Red Elvises seems to be breaking a lot of rules with that enormous triangle-shaped 3 string bass.

I WANT ONE!!! :drool: Melts my rockabilly heart ;)

It's supposed to be evocative of a balalaika:

View attachment $BALALAIKA_RUSSE.jpg
wальные русские hillbilly утеса, da? (Crazy (nzfgorny?) Russian hilbilly rockers, yes?)

Not sure, but it might even be a balalaika....:lol:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's supposed to be evocative of a balalaika:

View attachment 16813
w hillbilly , da? (Crazy (nzfgorny?) Russian hilbilly rockers, yes?)

Not sure, but it might even be a balalaika....:lol:

It IS a balalaika!! And they tour around Russia when not playing in the Southwest. That settles it...I must see them! :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest Discussions