Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]YYVKYE-gVUE[/yt]

The Omote series of Bojutsu, performed by Howard High and Paul Frank.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While this is better than the other Bojutsu clip recently posted, it's still these guys going through the motions, rather than having a deliberate understanding of what they're meant to be doing and why. It's the same Jinmukai group again, and as they keep popping up (and this is better than the other clips seen, to a degree), I got curious about who they actually are. As I've said from the beginning, I'm not sure who they're affiliated with, as I've not come across them from any list on the Otake side, and their movements aren't like the Sugino Dojo either. We may have our answer.

A little bit of google-work gave us some answers on Howard High, who we have demonstrating here (love it when he looses the Bo, by the way, very nicely handled!). He is very much a karate guy, who then also has done some Japanese sword work. His bio says that he was taught Muso Shinden Ryu Iai and Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu by Shoichi Nagase in Tokyo (although I can only find that name associated with Howards). In other places the system is said to bear a "striking resemblance to Katori Shinto Ryu". He stated that his system is "based in Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu", rather than being a "carbon copy", and has no ranks, as Otake Sensei's dojo has no ranks either. This, to me, means he only thinks of ranks as Dan and Kyu grades, rather than Menkyo licences. Pity.

For those interested, the info was taken from a number of places, with the quoted parts here: http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=jsa&thread=12340&page=1#203529