OMG a balanced video on MMA vs TMA?!?!?!?!?!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry, not playing your game.
its not a trick question, my style has stand up grappling arm bars wristlocks' etal. To show good faith il tell you how I assess its effectiveness .
it has good body mechanics, its not operating in the universe of fantasy moves. So it has the potential to be effective.
how ever if you know what's coming you can avoid it with out to much difficulty, I just refuse to let people grab hold of my arm so its near impossible for them to use it on me
so its fair to say that its effectiveness against a skilled fighter is quite low.
it also requires good speed and co ordinations to pull off, so if the opponent is faster than you are you may be struggling to pull it off.
then there is strengh, using it on a much stronger oppoinent may be problematic, if they just unfold their arm out of the wrist lock and you haven't the strengh to stop them. .

so in essance I consider it most effective against slow weak unco ordinated opponents', of reasonable use against averagely strong fast co ordonated oppoinent. And highly suspect against lightning fast, strong trained fighters

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its not a trick question, my style has stand up grappling arm bars wristlocks' etal. To show good faith il tell you how I assess its effectiveness .
it has good body mechanics, its not operating in the universe of fantasy moves. So it has the potential to be effective.
how ever if you know what's coming you can avoid it with out to much difficulty, I just refuse to let people grab hold of my arm so its near impossible for them to use it on me
so its fair to say that its effectiveness against a skilled fighter is quite low.
it also requires good speed and co ordinations to pull off, so if the opponent is faster than you are you may be struggling to pull it off.
then there is strengh, using it on a much stronger oppoinent may be problematic, if they just unfold their arm out of the wrist lock and you haven't the strengh to stop them. .

so in essance I consider it most effective against slow weak unco ordinated opponents', of reasonable use against averagely strong fast co ordonated oppoinent. And highly suspect against lightning fast, strong trained fighters
The problem is in deciding what you're actually measuring. My stand-up grappling isn't an average for NGA. I can grapple against skilled grapplers. I don't know how many in NGA can. Is that a problem in the art? I don't think so, since nothing I use is anything I'd consider outside the art.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The problem is in deciding what you're actually measuring. My stand-up grappling isn't an average for NGA. I can grapple against skilled grapplers. I don't know how many in NGA can. Is that a problem in the art? I don't think so, since nothing I use is anything I'd consider outside the art.
well its up to you what you measure, I would suggest the style as you teach it, is best.
but if you have added in components to the art as instructed elsewhere in order to make it effective, then its fair to concluded that nga as instructed else where has a weakness

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well its up to you what you measure, I would suggest the style as you teach it, is best.
but if you have added in components to the art as instructed elsewhere in order to make it effective, then its fair to concluded that nga as instructed else where has a weakness
Oh, it's not "as instructed elsewhere", necessarily. I only know how a few instructors teach. At least one teaches all the same pieces I do. It's about personal competency. See, if I was asked to use NGA against an "average" Judoka, I have an advantage (because we have strikes prominently featured in our art). But if that Judoka is Tony Dismukes, well, his experience is more extensive than mine, and he has some significant striking experience, too. Then the advantage probably swings to Tony.

If the tools exist, their effectiveness is partly individual. I've seen NGA practitioners who would not be able to work their way into a basic leg sweep or hip throw against a competent grappler - but that's not a gap in the art.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, it's not "as instructed elsewhere", necessarily. I only know how a few instructors teach. At least one teaches all the same pieces I do. It's about personal competency. See, if I was asked to use NGA against an "average" Judoka, I have an advantage (because we have strikes prominently featured in our art). But if that Judoka is Tony Dismukes, well, his experience is more extensive than mine, and he has some significant striking experience, too. Then the advantage probably swings to Tony.

If the tools exist, their effectiveness is partly individual. I've seen NGA practitioners who would not be able to work their way into a basic leg sweep or hip throw against a competent grappler - but that's not a gap in the art.
of course its a weakness, if judo has better grappling than nga, then teach judo grappling instead. Why would you continue with a inferior product when there is a much better alternative instead
you position seems to be it does matter of the grappling is interior as we do punches as well. And that's like saying it doesn't matter if we have no back door, as the front door is really strong

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
of course its a weakness, if judo has better grappling than nga, then teach judo grappling instead. Why would you continue with a inferior product when there is a much better alternative instead
you position seems to be it does matter of the grappling is interior as we do punches as well. And that's like saying it doesn't matter if we have no back door, as the front door is really strong
It's not the techniques - our in-close grappling actually comes from Judo (it's one of our source arts). It's focus. That's what they do, so it would be surprising if they weren't better at it. Judo doesn't have as much in distance grappling, and many schools don't teach any strikes. They do in-close work (mostly standing, some ground).