Older Martial Artists - aging and abilities

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think I got my first AARP letter at 29. My girlfriend at the time thought it was hilarious (she was 40).

My Girlfriend at the time (who later became a fiancée...who later became an ex-fiancée) was 33, but I never told her about it...because I will never admit it happened...I categorically deny any knowledge of mail from AARP :D

tubby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I started getting hit with google ads. started with a lovely scene of mountain biking and thought it was advertising holidays in Tasmania. then it went on to tell me how I could continue to enjoy my leisure activities with their incontinence nappies, cheeky young sods.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is why technique matters. Young person can ignore technique and overcome with speed and muscle. But solid technique beats speed and muscle. Develop technique when young, practice good technique. When old, destroy young punks, go home have coffee.

Spot on. My younger students hate doing huge amounts of reps of basic movements and don't quite get it when I explain that all of those reps are why I perform as I do. When they are my age they will understand.

Combining good technique with speed and muscle is ideal but great technique will stay with you when age robs the muscle and speed.

Mark

OP
crazydiamond

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the stories and advice.

I do find I am constantly changing or adapting these days - to heal minor injuries or prevent them again from happening.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to play around, play the other persons game because I could. It was kind of fun.
I can't play any more, so I don't. Also kind of fun, certainly saves time. And bruises.

When you get older, you already have the answers to the test. Makes it kind of fun.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My younger students hate doing huge amounts of reps of basic movements ...
The maximum number of rep that I have ever done was a "groin kick, face punch" combo for 1 mile distance on the beach. Of course I did it on both side.

One thing I have found out is, when you get old, to drill individual move from the form over and over is easier than to drill the from from the 1st move to the last move.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i started martial arts at age 35 im 39 know and i feel better woop woop my bp went down karate makes you strong and you cant do the things you can do before

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you cant do the things you can do before
It's important to know how to "train". It's even more important to know how to "maintain".

For example, if you love running, you want to make sure the way you run won't hurt your knee joint. If you hurt your knee joint, you will never be able to run for the rest of your life.

So do you know how to run without hurting your knee?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To get an idea of what it's like to be the older Martial Artist. (And to you forty something year olds...kids, I have excuses older than your young asses.)

First - put a thirty pound pack on your back. Leave it there, forever.
Then find big, clunky shoes, a half size too small, that you would never dream of working out in, and put them on.
Put on gi pants that either don't fit, you don't like, or give you a mild rash.
Take the inside of your gi top and sprinkle it with course, short dog hairs. Or burrs from an overgrown field.
Squirt lemon juice in your eyes (you'll live, no worries)
Make sure you have little to absolutely no sleep the night before.
Have your friend hit one or two of your muscles with a ball peen hammer a couple hours before going to the dojo.
Then surround yourself with small, yappy dogs....that you would never hit, because you're a gentleman and you like dogs. But you sure do want to.

That's kind of like being an older Martial Artist.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
During old age, if I reduce my weight for just 5 lb less, I can still enjoy my weight training. That 5 lb less weigh do make a big difference. In stead of to drag my body to my weight, I'll be happy to work out on my weigh. IMO, to still be able to enjoy MA training during old age is very important.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To get an idea of what it's like to be the older Martial Artist. (And to you forty something year olds...kids, I have excuses older than your young asses.)

First - put a thirty pound pack on your back. Leave it there, forever.
Then find big, clunky shoes, a half size too small, that you would never dream of working out in, and put them on.
Put on gi pants that either don't fit, you don't like, or give you a mild rash.
Take the inside of your gi top and sprinkle it with course, short dog hairs. Or burrs from an overgrown field.
Squirt lemon juice in your eyes (you'll live, no worries)
Make sure you have little to absolutely no sleep the night before.
Have your friend hit one or two of your muscles with a ball peen hammer a couple hours before going to the dojo.
Then surround yourself with small, yappy dogs....that you would never hit, because you're a gentleman and you like dogs. But you sure do want to.

That's kind of like being an older Martial Artist.
Buka, you simultaneously make getting old sound horrific and more fun than a trip to Disney World.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In Japan we have specific expectations according to age. Thing is as we get older we don't dance around like mosquitos waiting to get hit. Energy is expounded into having to do less work and above all we have learned the essence of 'time'. It's not uncommon to see a 70 year old in armour beat the hell out of a few dozen young students. Our aims are divided up into say 20/30 40/50 etc. We are told at 50 we can afford to slow down a bit. I clearly remember standing in the university dojo in Japan in my late 20s getting beaten up by the kids and thinking, "Damn, how will I get the hang of this?". But I didn't need to worry as it was age, matureness and using my brain got me there.

If you are thinking of self-defence when you are older? Best buy a taser of something. That applies to a lot of younger people as well who "think" they can fight.

I also clearly remember GM Cacoy (Doce Pares) playing with his adult students like kids in Cebu. So it's not just Japan.

Seventy next birthday and although I sometimes worry about not being to handle seminars anymore I can handle it. It's not the MA that gets me It's those horrible international flights on planes full of recirculated infected air.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I feel myself starting to not like dogs though, Buka. My wife has me turning into a cat person.

Class might be interesting over the next couple of years, eh?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel myself starting to not like dogs though, Buka. My wife has me turning into a cat person.

I have both, you don't have to choose. If you must choose, may I suggest a cat big enough to beat up the yappy dogs?
734736_509356609086109_46793357_n.jpg

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you ask me, getting old should not be in the martial artist's vocabulary. I plan to stay in my prime and I plan to take it to the grave, whenever that might be.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even if your physical body is old, you still need to have a young heart.

- 10 years ago when I met a pretty girl, I would ask her if her mother is single.
- Today when I meet a pretty girl, I will ask her if she has a young sister.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even if your physical body is old, you still need to have a young heart.

- 10 years ago when I met a pretty girl, I would ask her if her mother is single.
- Today when I meet a pretty girl, I will ask her if she has a young sister.

Laughed my yass off!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You don't do metaphorical heroin and you're starting to not like dogs/ Nooooooooooooooo!

I'm here for you, my brother.