Older Martial Artists - aging and abilities

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
About 3 months ago, I wrestled with a young wrestler in the park. He was 30 lb more weight and 45 years younger than me (I'm 69 and he is 24). After I had wrestled with him, his young brother also wanted to wrestle with me. After I had barely finished 1 round with his young brother, I could not continue any more. I used to be able to wrestle 15 rounds. Old age sucks big time.
Yeah, it do, it do.

I just turned 68 last December. I hurt almost everywhere, and just today my left knee decided that I didn't have enough pain in my life. But it still beats the alternative.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can still see people may spar/wrestle in their 60. I just don't see people will spar/wrestle in their 70. IMO, 70 is a bad age for all MA guys.

I'll be sure not to tell that to the 74 year old woman in our program, who spars regularly. :)

The 84 year old man doesn't spar. I'll grant that.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can still see people may spar/wrestle in their 60. I just don't see people will spar/wrestle in their 70. IMO, 70 is a bad age for all MA guys.
I know of a few well into their 70s and a couple in their 80s.
The thing about doing so is 'who' they spar/wrestle/roll with. At 62 I am selective with who I spar and grind with as well. Only with high level people who not only have excellent skill but have excellent control of themselves. It is about continued growth and skill development or maintaining as much as possible without injuries.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We've got two folks in the ATA that I know of that are in their 90s. They move a little slower but they will still air it out to the best of their ability when they put the gear on.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had a huge step down between 41 and 42. I broke my leg that year and spent more time sitting than I ever had before. Years later, I've seen an improvement in some areas, and the expected decline in others.

Your step down was due to the fact that you broke your leg and were thus less active. It was due to circumstances not age.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had a huge step down between 41 and 42.
After my 40 years birthday, I started to train Marathon. I had my 1st Marathon when I was 41. I then started to train triathlon. But my swimming speed could not meet the requirement, my triathlon training could not continue. I even tried for "iron men training" that you run down from the south edge of the Grand Cannon and run up to the north edge of the Grand Cannon. From 40 to 45 was my best years. I stopped my tournament competition. I started to challenge myself in different areas.

marathon.jpg

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your step down was due to the fact that you broke your leg and were thus less active. It was due to circumstances not age.
Agreed. The sudden change in activity cost me quite a lot. I gained some back when I upped my activity level after the leg quit being a problem (walked on it for two weeks after the break due a misdiagnosis). However, if I'd done that in my 30's, I'd have recovered a lot faster (like I did from my knee surgery at 31, which sidelined me just as long).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After my 40 years birthday, I started to train Marathon. I had my 1st Marathon when I was 41. I then started to train triathlon. But my swimming speed could not meet the requirement, my triathlon training could not continue. I even tried for "iron men training" that you run down from the south edge of the Grand Cannon and run up to the north edge of the Grand Cannon. From 40 to 45 was my best years. I stopped my tournament competition. I started to challenge myself in different areas.

marathon.jpg
I got back into running at about 43, but my knees and bad toe are uncooperative. And I developed this issue where my calves turn into stone for 3 days after a run of any length. I miss distance running.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I got back into running at about 43, but my knees and bad toe are uncooperative. And I developed this issue where my calves turn into stone for 3 days after a run of any length. I miss distance running.

I was told, not to long ago, in my 50s, by my MD, to stop running.

And speaking of "Older Martial Artists - aging and abilities"

Oh, and this gentleman, Lu Zijian, was over 100 at the time of these videos - Baguazhang

And this guy was 90

And this guy was 90 as well

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Also in the "Older Martial Artists" category, I would like to submit

Another 90 year old (Zhang Bao Yang) - Xingyiquan

And a rather impressive 70 year old (Yang Tong)- Xingyiquan

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm 46. It seems I get hurt easier than I used to but luckily I am still healing pretty fast, hope that keeps up for a while.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 46. It seems I get hurt easier than I used to but luckily I am still healing pretty fast, hope that keeps up for a while.
I find at 47, I don't get hurt any more easily in most cases. In fact, in some cases I've toughened. But I do take quite a bit longer to heal. I'm pretty sure the mess I made of my forearm muscle last year would have been minor in my 30's, because the initial tear would have healed before I had the chance to tear it the second (deeper) time.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ralph Macchio is 56 years old. He gets AARP stuff in the mail.

Which makes all of you guys old farts. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ralph Macchio is 56 years old. He gets AARP stuff in the mail.

Which makes all of you guys old farts. :)

Nope, he's older than me.... and I will NEVER admit to getting AARP stuff in the mail..... even though it is true..... I deny it :D

Actually I got my first bit of AARP mail when I was 36, which I thought was rather amusing at the time..... but I deny that one too :D

Latest Discussions