Old Warriors question

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone knows what kind of kung fu did old warriors of the three kingdoms did?. I mean someone like lord LuBu, Guan Yu, Zhao Yun, Zhou Tai, and others. Did they really used certain kinds of fighting systems?, or were good to invent their own fighting styles?.

LuBu07.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK, I know this was a post from awhile ago, but I have been trying to find an answer, and to be honest I still don't have one, but I am closer.

So far Pre-3 kingdoms (for reference purposes the spelling is Wade-Giles)
The references are few but boxing was mentioned in the following

Chou dynasty (1122-221 BC) – The Book of Rites
The spring and Autumn Annals (772 – 481 BC)
Literature from the warring states period (403 – 221 BC)

All mentioned archery, fencing, wrestling and boxing.

The wrestling was a rough form featuring butting and other unsophisticated tactics.

This is characterized in a primitive form of fighting called Ch’ih yu-his, which stemmed from the fight of the legendary Yellow Emperor Huang Ti and a horned monster called Ch’ih Yu, four thousand years ago. This is not as mythical as it sounds, there was a sport preformed by farmers where participants put on cow horns and butted each other in Ancient China.

Jump forward to The Han Dynasty (25 – 220 AD) a famous surgeon Hua To developed a series of exercises based in the movements of 5 animal; tiger, deer, bear, monkey and bird, which is still used in various boxing schools.
I also believe it was around this same time that Buddhism came to China and the 4 elements composing the body were introduced, earth water fire and wind. These have been used to develop the internal systems.
[Asian Martial Arts – Donn F. Draeger and Robert W. Smith]

So far I have not been able to find any reference to Martial arts during the three kingdoms period. The next reference I find jumps to the Tang Dynasty to the Shaolin School.
I'm still looking.

Latest Discussions