Old style TKD comp

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember those old tournament with a smile on my face. No pads on anyone and every one trying to knock the crap out of each other. The video truly seems to be TKD as it was in the day two people throwing kicks most of the time and no one trying to grab the others uniform as was done in open tournaments. Side kicks and roundhouse kicks with both legs with a punch thrown in occasionally. Fun times as I remember them

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah, the good old times when competition was still awesome...

Sorry, but I'll take today's Taekwondo over this anytime. IMO watching today's players is way more interesting and due to today's ruleset way more spectacular.

I think a lot of the awesomeness of old TKD fights is linked to personal memories. Nothing wrong with that, but compared to the athleticism of today's players like Servet Tazegül all of those players in that video look clumsy. ;-)

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I really love to see this video, when I was a teen that's the way we sparred, nothing of proteccion but shin pads and cup and most of the times with nothing bu the karate-gi/dobok. Yes we had the old hogus but we don't used or rarely. I like the most the way we sparr in those days that the way the kids sparr today, sorry but I am a truly romantic about MA of the yore. Yes, today the competitors are more technical but in the old days the competitors were solid rocks and the blows were for real, bruises, broken noses, broken theet, eye brows cuts, today all the guys wearing full armour. Nahhhh for me the old days simply rock.

Manny

OP
R

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sorry, but I'll take today's Taekwondo over this anytime. IMO watching today's players is way more interesting and due to today's ruleset way more spectacular.

I think a lot of the awesomeness of old TKD fights is linked to personal memories. Nothing wrong with that, but compared to the athleticism of today's players like Servet Tazegül all of those players in that video look clumsy. ;-)
Actually they look a lot more balanced, in more ways than one. In a lot of today's tournaments some people just about fall over every time they kick.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yep, sparring with hands at sides ,with full gear, hopping up and down trying for that one hit that gets a point and stops the action, oh and not blocking because head contact is not allowed Yep that is far more interesting than the old ways but each to their own. o_O
Actually I do agree that many of the people out there use more athleticism then was used in years past and I will agree that memories do make the old times seem better at times.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

As a non-TKDer I much prefer this older style/ruleset of fighting, the modern Olympic stuff is just unwatchable drek IMO.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a non-TKDer I much prefer this older style/ruleset of fighting, the modern Olympic stuff is just unwatchable drek IMO.

A lot of taekwondoin agree, and would like to see the Olympic ruleset changed.

Latest Discussions