Old style rope binding

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
been reading about thiswas the old styles bare knuckle then rope binded or just rope binded?also theres some other things like glass in there and wraps of the dead but some say its made up that those were used.was the purpose protection or to use against the other fighter?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
been reading about thiswas the old styles bare knuckle then rope binded or just rope binded?also theres some other things like glass in there and wraps of the dead but some say its made up that those were used.was the purpose protection or to use against the other fighter?

Did you intend to post on www.fetlife.com? I can see where you might confuse the two.

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The glass thing is a myth. Not sure where it came from but its not real. Or at least no one can verify its real. I think the stories came from foreigners who saw the old bouts from the outside. They would see a lot of cuts and bleeding from fighters when they got hit. This was due to knots that were tied in the hemp wraps. The knots in the ropes would be soaked in water and dried on the hands causing the knots to harden. This would make them tear the skin to shreds. That's what I hear anyway.

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh and it would have been bareknuckle then rope then glove. Bareknuckle would be straight from the weapons from the bareknuckle they started using ropes. That's my take on it anyway. Its really hard to use a sword with bulky ropes wraping your hands.
On a side note during the kaad chuek days some still fought bareknuckle.