Old, fat, out of shape guys needs advice.

Full Circle

White Belt
Reaction score
"In my case, I think I stretched too much before exercising."

I have read that overstretching can be worse then not stretching at all. Seen a article where they were referencing some medical tests that showed, those that overstretched actually had more injuries than those that didn't stretch. My coach showed me this article, as he thinks I was overstretching before practice. I did cut my stretching time before practice in 1/2 about 7 weeks ago, but really can't say if it has made a difference or not.

Sensei Tom O'Brien

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm pushing 60 now & I need 20 minutes to just warm up before the class. When I was younger you would never see me do kata. Now that I am older I do a lot of kata, poomse - to get my blood moving and I stretch before class. Just keep going. Consistancy is the key.

Thanks,
Sensei Tom

OP
L

Lorak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Grr.
Was so upset. Class was cancelled last night due to weather. So instead had to content myself with high intensity workout on the treadmill at home, and then just going through kicks, punches, and such on my own.

I still got in a great sweat, but I know I don't push myself as hard alone as I do in class in front of others.

Hopefully, Saturday class will still be open (expecting more snow then to).

(Also, I may seem to ramble, but I am kind of using this thread to just post random thoughts in. Have a kind of history of how I was when I started and can look back on. Sort of a blog for self motivation I guess. )

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Last night snow fell again, on top of Mauna Kea mountain. Our home faces the mountain...a 50 mile drive to the top of the mountain.

We were there a three weeks ago to play in the snow. Elevation is at 13,000 feet, 40% less air, can only stay for about 1 hour...then have to go to lower altitude.

The snow nevers stops the training...just the high surf? ....surf or train?

Aloha (what a problem to have?)

Sanchin-J

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As a 6'0, 310lb Irishman, I myself find it to be a bit difficult at times, however I've been really successful in the past with getting back on the horse so to speak and training. Granted, I hardly consider myself old at 34 years of age, but fat and out of shape sum me up perfectly at this point lol. I've got bad knees from Army life and old football injuries, back pain from work related injuries and being overweight, and I'm still recovering and learning how to breath again after giving up smoking.

However, I can say that I've changed my diet up quite a bit, I eat a lot of fruit, drink my 2 glasses of milk daily, stock up on carb and attempt to continue eating healthy. I keep a few ointments and creams available for muscle pain and what not, and continue to stretch daily to try to limber up. The biggest thing here is to maintain a positive attitude to this, sure we're big people but that doesn't mean we are incapable of being in our chosen art. In another thread I pointed out, that I know a TKD instructor in Louisiana that's 6'2 and weighs about 330lbs. Sure he can't vault into the air and perform a jump kick as gracefully as the slender folk, but for what he lacks in his aerial technique he makes up for in his ground fighting hehe.

Good luck

OP
L

Lorak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
heh,

Nice to meet ya Irish. Us Mics have to stick together. :)

Also good to see I am not the only one going through this. My will power right now is good, Hopefully I really stick with the program this time.

My First class (which I put in the other topic). Shamefully I had to bow out before the class was over. I honsestly just couldn't breath anymore.

And as bad and sore as I was Saturday morning, I still made myself get up and go to class. I made it not only through the whole first class, but I stayed over and made the whole second class too. Even started learning my kata for yellow belt. (guess those 3 years of TKD 15 years ago weren't a total waste.. hehe)

LOL, My old bones were paying for it all night and the next day though. But it felt really good. Just need to find someway to get these old hips working again. Right now my hips have all the flexability of concrete.

I guess the good thing is that I am trying to hit class at least every other day, so There isn't as much time to sit back and think about the soreness before I am up and off to class again.

OP
L

Lorak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
and I'm still recovering and learning how to breath again after giving up smoking.
Good luck

Oh, As a former smoker myself. I really want to say congrats on your quiting. For those that have never smoked. I don't think they realize just how hard it is to quit. I have been smoke free for a few months now. And every day is still a huge challenge. So I send you many well wishes as you continue on your journey!

PeteNerd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
heh,

Nice to meet ya Irish. Us Mics have to stick together. :)

Also good to see I am not the only one going through this. My will power right now is good, Hopefully I really stick with the program this time.

My First class (which I put in the other topic). Shamefully I had to bow out before the class was over. I honsestly just couldn't breath anymore.

And as bad and sore as I was Saturday morning, I still made myself get up and go to class. I made it not only through the whole first class, but I stayed over and made the whole second class too. Even started learning my kata for yellow belt. (guess those 3 years of TKD 15 years ago weren't a total waste.. hehe)

LOL, My old bones were paying for it all night and the next day though. But it felt really good. Just need to find someway to get these old hips working again. Right now my hips have all the flexability of concrete.

I guess the good thing is that I am trying to hit class at least every other day, so There isn't as much time to sit back and think about the soreness before I am up and off to class again.

http://www.gettingfitagain.com/5bx.php

Check out the 5BX plan. It starts out easy and scales very well. It'll help you get flexible and in shape if you follow it.

Pete

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
As I am at the end of my 30's, I have learned a few things.

That it is imperative to warm up correctly (full body) and then stretch before working out. Pre-hab is so much easer than rehab the older one gets.

Know when to tap and know your training partners. If you are afraid of gettin hurt by some jackass who has a ego/self esteem problem, tell him thanks, but no thanks.

Ice,Motrin, Aleve and water are 4 of my best friends.

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
First of all, 40 is not "old." As for being "fat" and out of shape, I'm guessing you didn't get that way simply through lack of exercise. The flexibility and soreness issues you mention will take care of themselves, to some degree at least, if you just keep at it. Train hard and don't give up. The key to getting back in shape though is a two pronged approach. Diet and exercise. You're doing the exercise part but what about your diet? Just wondering. If you're like most Americans getting, control of your diet is actually harder than forcing yourself to work out. You need to be eating about 6 small meals per day rather than the customary 2 or 3 pig fests that most Americans eat. Those 6 meals need to be high in protein and very low in carbs, with most of the protein coming from chicken and fish (not red meat). Green, leafy vegetables = good. Potatoes = not so much. Get the picture? And drink lots of water throughout the day, especially on training days. It'll help keep your muscles hydrated which will in turn help with your flexibility and endurance.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Might be a good idea to get hold of some joint supplements too. I try to make myself take them regularly and I'm pretty sure they do help when it comes to joint and ligament pain. They're not going to do any harm anyway.

You sound very motivated, good luck and keep on training! Soon you'll be showing your daughter a thing or two from the sound of it.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
In regards to the talk about Tiger Balm, and the like. Does this stuff really work? Can you use it pre-emptively, ie:before class to help your muscles loosen up? I too am in the over 40 group, and sorely out of shape, but am ready to( with GOD's help) move forward. The advice I have heard on this thread sounds pretty solid. Hope to hear more...

1stJohn1:9

OP
L

Lorak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First of all, 40 is not "old." As for being "fat" and out of shape, I'm guessing you didn't get that way simply through lack of exercise. The flexibility and soreness issues you mention will take care of themselves, to some degree at least, if you just keep at it. Train hard and don't give up. The key to getting back in shape though is a two pronged approach. Diet and exercise. You're doing the exercise part but what about your diet? Just wondering. If you're like most Americans getting, control of your diet is actually harder than forcing yourself to work out. You need to be eating about 6 small meals per day rather than the customary 2 or 3 pig fests that most Americans eat. Those 6 meals need to be high in protein and very low in carbs, with most of the protein coming from chicken and fish (not red meat). Green, leafy vegetables = good. Potatoes = not so much. Get the picture? And drink lots of water throughout the day, especially on training days. It'll help keep your muscles hydrated which will in turn help with your flexibility and endurance.

Your 100% correct. My biggest problem is that I ate like a horse while growing up because I was so active. I burnt all of it off, so it didn't matter.
The problem is i kept eating like that (habit), and wasn't doing anything. So the weight just kept adding up over the past 15 years.

I have been working hard at changing my diet. Eating things a lot better for me and eating them in smaller portions all day long.

I've also started hiting the Eliptical machine here at work. Right now I am hitting it hard for 30 min each day I have training, and an hour on days I am not going to the dojo.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess. Weight didn't appear over night, so I know it will be a long battle to get all of it off.

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good on you, Lorak. Sounds like you're on the right track and have the right attitude. I predict that in a few months you won't believe how much better and stronger you feel.

OP
L

Lorak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, another night, another new(forgotten) experience.
As most know I signed up to take MA with my daughter. And have been going to the family sessions, which are a mix of all ages. (mostly kids honestly).

But it works well, since I am kind of re-learning all the basics anyway.
Well last night I decided to stay after for the adult class. (My Brother has since joined and we both took TKD many, many years ago). So I stayed after to work extra.

The adult class is a whole diffrent kettle of fish. Even though I am a noob again. We are not inexperieinced. So we broke out the pads for some scripted and then free sparring for those that wanted to try it. ( I know. white belts sparring is scary, but all of us do have some prior experience, and know each other well inside and outside the dojo. So it wasn't so mindless free for all).

What a blast. I didn't do great. but didn't do as horrible as I thought either (even though Sensai took it easy on us). Sounds wierd, but felt kind of good to get beat on again. Really sore today, and my legs are killing me. But I had a blast.

I do have to come up with some kind of stretch to help my hips though. They are still giving me fits. Hurts a bit, and is sore when I try to throw and roundhouse kicks above belt level with my left leg.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In regards to the talk about Tiger Balm, and the like. Does this stuff really work? Can you use it pre-emptively, ie:before class to help your muscles loosen up? I too am in the over 40 group, and sorely out of shape, but am ready to( with GOD's help) move forward. The advice I have heard on this thread sounds pretty solid. Hope to hear more...

1stJohn1:9

Tigers Balm ( red) works..Good for muscle pain..For joints I use Woodlock Oil and it helps...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I've used TB in problem areas before class and it helped immensely - especially on areas coming off of overuse, strain or injury. I have chronic low back problems and tight hamstrings. TB beforehand and a good thorough warm-up helped A LOT.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've used TB in problem areas before class and it helped immensely - especially on areas coming off of overuse, strain or injury. I have chronic low back problems and tight hamstrings. TB beforehand and a good thorough warm-up helped A LOT.

Listen to Shesulsa..I have heard of this before and it slipped my mind...Try it...

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lorak,

See my web page and the endurance training articles. Start S L O W my friend. But work up to it with time. Links below.

Be sure to take it easy. I wouldn't try method 2 for a while, as it is less adjustable to your fitness level. Stay with Method 1 for a while, and keep a RECORD OF YOUR PROGRESS.

Good luck.

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Tiger Balm is GREAT.

Most "muscle rubs" suck and are worthless (and have dangerous ingredients - people have been seriously hurt by bodyrubs with "icy hot" and other similar products..)

However, Tiger Balm is all natural - Clove, Menthol, and a few other choice ingredients.

And it WORKS. I mean, SERIOUSLY - it WORKS.

The best way to use it is when your muscles are very very warm - so right after exercise, or right after a hot bath / shower.

If you have a full body workout that is sure to kill you in the morning, take a super hot bath, and rub it all over your body - but trust me - you're going to be hopping around for 20 minutes cursing - it's INTENSE.

Tiger Balm is good good good medicine.

Latest Discussions