Okinawan Sword Arts?

S

SRyuFighter

Does anybody know of any Okinawan sword arts? Thanks.

OP
S

SRyuFighter

In my Okinawan Martial Art we study the Katana, but it was developed heavily by the royal family. I was wondering if there was just one simple sword art like Kendo or something.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

My teacher is from Okinawa and studied Gogai Ryu, which may be an Okinawan style using a Japanese sword.

Okinawans used many different types of "swords". Some were from China which look like the Wushu type swords you see today as well as "mountain knives" which look like machete. There are also various types of long daggers and so forth.
I am not sure if they ever developed a purely Okinawan style sword from scratch……..I mean how could you improve on a Katana?

The Kobudo of Motobu Ryu uses most of the weapons I mentioned.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

SryuFighter,

I have a question about a photo on your webiste.

I know who some of the people in this photo are:

A) Nakamura Shirgeru
B) Mr. Shimabuku

I have a question about the others that maybe you can answer for me.

C) Shian Toma?
D) ?
E) Arakaki ?

Attachments

• $question.jpg
    $question.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 289

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
Me?

:) yes sir. That photo looks old and you stated you know many of the people in there.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

I looked at the bottom of the photo and it looks like it was taken in 1964~65 which would make me about the same age…..I am just a little older.

The reason why I am interested is because I collect old photos on any subject.
Mainly cowboys, old Samurai photos, old Karate photos as well. I think they are cool…call me weird.
I do it as a hobby but also for historical reference.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

I looked at the photo and saw “C” and thought it was Toma Shian and the person next to him looks like my teacher Mr. Oyata (I can’t tell).
It could be since Mr. Oyata was a student of Mr. Nakamura “A” and he also used to hang out with Mr. Toma when he lived in Okinawa.
It would seem there are a good number of respected teachers in that photo, and since they are all in a group it makes it rather valuable.

OP
S

SRyuFighter

You had "C" and "E' right. I have no idea who "D" is I will ask my sensei tomorrow night at class.

Latest Discussions