Ok?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
My father-in-law told me about this and I thought it would be a hoot to share it with you all. I am not sure if it should be in here or in the comedy section.

http://wimp.com/bigman/

Enjoy?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lI only see a couple of those that could work and only with a WHOOOOOOOLE lot of practice. I think I remember an instructor saying the LAPD (I think) did a study on the effectiveness of gun defense techniques and found it took a minimum of 10 years to train up to where even trying these would be viable. I'll have to see if I can verify that.

The third tech in the video is just ... no.

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score
hehe well i thought most of those looked pretty standard...

I did get a chuckle when he hit him in the eye with the gun, I wasn't sure if that was planned or not but HA!

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Man, On a couple of those disarms he passed the gun across and had the weapon lingering pointed at his own body and the third disarm I don't think he had full control of the weapon (was kinda flopping around under his arm). We were always taught to gain and keep control of the weapon and most important to NOT point the weapon at ourselves, our assailant or bystanders.

Overall, out of the 12... 8 or 9 not so bad, 2 or 3 I would not do, practice or teach. just my opinion

yours in Budo
Michael

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ummm... yeah, I'll have to go with the crowd shaking their head.

Is it me, or did a lot of those demonstrations have instances where the gun would've gone off towards the defender?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Is it me, or did a lot of those demonstrations have instances where the gun would've gone off towards the defender?

I don't think it was you... :idunno:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

No it was not you but alot of us believe the same way.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, say thanks to your father-in-law. I think.
icon7.gif

OP
searcher

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, now that you have had a chance to view this mess, I will make some comments on what I see.

The way he turns the firearm lends itself to discharge into the defender.
I have never let anyone get that close when holding my firearm on a BG, especially the rifle.
Is it me or is this guy just a bit full of himself?

OP
searcher

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, say thanks to your father-in-law. I think.
icon7.gif

What is so scary is that my F-I-L got it from my brother-in-law and I think they thought it was good stuff. I try to tell them and everyone I know that most of the crap out there like this is exactly that, crap.

Makes me sick to think people are being taught this stuff and that more think it is what we all train to do.:barf:

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, now that you have had a chance to view this mess, I will make some comments on what I see.

The way he turns the firearm lends itself to discharge into the defender.
I have never let anyone get that close when holding my firearm on a BG, especially the rifle.
Is it me or is this guy just a bit full of himself?

In all of the disarms, the gun was within 8" of the defender. Most of them were almost touching. It's easy to come up with something that "looks good" from that distance, with a dummy gun, but let's see those work when the gun is 2 feet away, or just out of arm's reach. If you've come to the point where you're waiting to be "executed" I'd say you've waited too long.

I have disarmed my friends trying to shoot me with an airsoft gun, and they were sure surprised! But there was no "pucker factor" so I stayed relaxed. In one case I didn't really think of it as a "disarm" until later. (I didn't give him the chance to bring the gun to bear.) So I know the physics of the most basic disarms do work at speed. But the odds against a real gun are still not good.

Still, a 10% chance of survival is better than a 0% chance.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
My father-in-law told me about this and I thought it would be a hoot to share it with you all. I am not sure if it should be in here or in the comedy section.

http://wimp.com/bigman/

Enjoy?

I saw this once before. A lot of it might work, but I wouldn't try it unless I knew he was going to pull the trigger. The rest of it is utter crap. I love the one where he keeps the barrel pointed at himself while he pushes the gun into the guy's face... yeah... :BSmeter:

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
I love the one where he keeps the barrel pointed at himself while he pushes the gun into the guy's face... yeah... :BSmeter:

He might as well have just let the guy shoot him, the effect would be exactly the same.

I get the impression that the defender is very full of his own importance and thinks that what he's doing is the best thing since sliced bread.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'm going to pretend it went into the comedy section...

Gun control doesn't work. (rim shot)

You can have my gun in your cold, dead hands. (rim shot)

When you can snatch the rifle from my hand, it will be time for you to go. (rim shot)

I'm here all week. Try the veal.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
lI only see a couple of those that could work and only with a WHOOOOOOOLE lot of practice.

There were one or two that looked familiar. I've been taught that gun grabs are a crap shoot, last ditch, go-for-broke exercise. Other people who train those techniques extensively may have a different view.

What I'm seeing here is that the guy who's doing them doesn't really know them himself. Either that, or he's doing them so slowly and deliberately for the purposes of video instruction -- which is another discussion altogether.

Your ten-year comment is interesting. We aren't allowed to practise gun disarms until 1st dan, which takes about ten years where I trained. When we practise them, far from being told they're the sure-fire method, we're told, "Here's what you do if you figure you're going to get shot otherwise."

Mind you, I'm a novice at the gun grab techs. I've practised empty hand defense from knife for several years, and I wouldn't bet money on my abilities.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Lots of good comments and lots of maybe it might NOT work and some may work?

In the real life? ....at least some of them may save your life...no two situtions will be the same....also the adrenline effects all of us in different ways....

Best to learn a few techniques on disarm...hope they work or do NOTHING...and die?

This video gives you some hope of survival or reactions to choose to fight back....

The key here is turn the weapon away from you and use the wrist lock techniques to your advantages...in REAL LIFE...IT NEVERS ALWAYS WORK THE SAME WAY IN CLASSES...?

On the streets and in a surprise (not prepare for ) like in class room training takes on a NEW meaning of self-defense....best to do something if your instincts...tell you too!

Real world and class room training? ....OH so different!

Aloha, like a first job interview? ...NOT knowing

OP
searcher

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is videos like this that are making things bad for legit MAists. I hate to see people think they are getting some good stuff to find out, to late, that they are not.

It is scary to think that someone thought highly enough of themself that they put this on video.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've always been taught that whenever someone has a gun pointed at you, you do what they tell you to do. If you know without a shadow of a doubt that they are going to pull the trigger and kill you, then sure, go for broke. Otherwise, keep your hands in plain sight, shut up, do what you're told, and bide your time until a gun is not pointed at you to fight back.

The video, IMO, is a load. The really huge guy holding the gun against the teeny tiny guy does nothing but act like he's getting hurt while the little bitty dude fumbles with the gun.

Call me crazy, but if a guy that size is pissed enough to hold a gun to my head, I'm pretty sure he's going to do more than stagger backward after I grab for his gun and do some "judo-chop", a la James Bond, against his chest.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All of them would take a lot of practice (but then most do!)

I would try to par it down to as few as you can and still cover the types of attack.

This all needs to be practiced weekly till it's second nature.

Still it was a good video.

Deaf

Latest Discussions