ok, Rousey is the real deal, clearly

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Tez, have any women from the UK fought in the US recently? You mentioned Higo, who I actually saw figh tlive at HooknShoot (didn't know she was a brit), but her last fight was 3 years ago.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez, have any women from the UK fought in the US recently? You mentioned Higo, who I actually saw figh tlive at HooknShoot (didn't know she was a brit), but her last fight was 3 years ago.

Lisa can't afford to come across for fights, most of the Brits are in that position. they get paid after fights ( which is also taxed by the Americans as well as the UK so not much left anyway) not before so finding the flight, hotel and other expenses in the first place is very difficult. You have to have someone in the States who can do your publicity to get you on the promotions as well, it's a Catch 22 situation for us in Europe not just in the UK, I suspect actually the rest of the world too. It all comes down to money I'm afraid.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The face is lovely but the body? Large shoulders and hipbones jutting out like an anorexic. Certainly no boobs or backside, disappointing that it's a look thats being hyped buying into the skinny thing rather than the athletic look of Kyra Gracie. Has it been airbrushed?
Oh and I'm not jealous of the Rousey look. I'm not against that type of photo there's some very nice ones of male MMA fighters but I am against hyping the anorexic look.

Tez - I look at the photo and I see a well conditioned body in GREAT shape. Have you seen pictures of anorexic people. Real anorexic people? Do a google, I think you'll see what I'm talking about. I love you Tez but but this is not representative of anorexia.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
http://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/...eated-olympic-medalist-sara-mcmann-36005.html

Here is a woman that might do some real damage to Rousey. Now we'll see just how good she is off her back. I doubt she'll be able to defend a power double from an Olympic Wrestler!

This will be good for WMMA. It does highlight that it is still in the embryo stage as a sport! Judo V wrestling very much like UFC circa 1993 (style v style). But bringing in this class of athlete is exciting.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez - I look at the photo and I see a well conditioned body in GREAT shape. Have you seen pictures of anorexic people. Real anorexic people? Do a google, I think you'll see what I'm talking about. I love you Tez but but this is not representative of anorexia.

Did I say she was anorexic? No, I said it was the anorexic look which is 'fashionable' in the media, the size 0 look. she is far too skinny, ask any woman. Her hips are bony, she has no boobs and no backside, sure she has a flat stomach but she's still skinny. As for the photo I'd suggest you go across to the womanes section here and look at the threads about the portrayal of women in martial arts for womens' points of view on this.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The face is lovely but the body? Large shoulders and hipbones jutting out like an anorexic. Certainly no boobs or backside, disappointing that it's a look thats being hyped buying into the skinny thing rather than the athletic look of Kyra Gracie. Has it been airbrushed?
Oh and I'm not jealous of the Rousey look. I'm not against that type of photo there's some very nice ones of male MMA fighters but I am against hyping the anorexic look.

Tez - Yes you ARE calling her anorexic. Am I missing something here? Google Anorexic.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez - Yes you ARE calling her anorexic. Am I missing something here? Google Anorexic.

I'm afraid you are missing something, I'm not saying she's anorexic at all, if I thought she was I would say so not just say her hipbones stick out like an anorexics, which they do. I don't know if you are aware of fashion and girl's 'role models' in the media or the furore about the size zero models. The airbrushing of pop and film starts so that they look ultra thin. It's been a huge worry for womens group's and parents for a while now that the 'role models' for girls is that of a very thin female. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-essential-nutrients-warns-food-watchdog.html
http://www.divinecaroline.com/36/111724-body-image-media
http://cjr08.wordpress.com/2008/06/...al-of-the-thin-ideal-contributes-to-anorexia/

Rousey standing there in a ring girl pose looking as skinnny as she does is a negative portrayal in more than one way. She's not anorexic but her body in that photo is sending out the 'you've got to be thin' messages.
There are two very good threads on the portrayal of women in the martial arts in the women's section. There's also a very good photo of Rousey on there where she's not looking like a skinny ring girl.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a good photo.

tumblr_m6pim1HrVD1qd5r6yo2_1280.jpg

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
no i dont think you are.

she's an athlete, she's just 'fit' no more no less. considering the fact she has to maintain a weight to fight in a particular class accusing her of perpetuating an anorexic 'body image' is ludicrous.

knowing nothing about tez, from what im reading here it looks like a case of the green eyed monster.

and tez you cannot argue with that statement as i didnt actually say you were jealous, i just said it looks like you are. (see what i did there? ;))

i dont mean it anyway, just trying to make a point.

saying 'looks like an anorexic' = saying 'she is an anorexic'

no other way i can see it. arguing semantics.

great shot above btw, definitely some meat on her bones there.. she looks great

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, it's the green eyed monster because I don't like one photo of her but do like another a lot? The weight issue with her has been discussed already, Cyborg and her fans believe she's dropped weight because she wants to avoid fighting Cyborg, Rousey's side on the other hand say she is fighting at a good weight for her right now. You puts your money where you think the line lies. Looking at her, regardless of the weight cutting issues I think she's cut too much.
If I said someone has a face like a horse does that make them a horse? Nah don't think so, don't read into words something that's not there I said her hipbones look like an anorexics simply because they do, she looks so much better with a bit of weight on, she looks fit, attractive and a great role model for girls and young women who as I teach martial arts to young teenage girls I'm most concerned about, I want to be able to say to them 'look at this for a great female fighter and athlete' I don't want to show them someone who looks like a skinny ring girl, I want the girls to have positive role models not negative ones like the size xero celebs. It's a serious issue not a case of oh she's jealous :( that argument is always used by men. For all you know I may be gay and enjoy looking at women's bodies, just not skinny womens ones!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tez3... I get what you are saying...it is a shame that women have to sell their sexuality like this...Ronda really did not want to do this...she was concerned about naked pictures getting out...some showed up on youtube...she was not happy...she did an interview the Day of the film session...she did not look this thin...probably around 140...they airbrushed the crap out of this photo...that photo is not reality...it is sad....isn't being a great athlete good enough!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez3... I get what you are saying...it is a shame that women have to sell their sexuality like this...Ronda really did not want to do this...she was concerned about naked pictures getting out...some showed up on youtube...she was not happy...she did an interview the Day of the film session...she did not look this thin...probably around 140...they airbrushed the crap out of this photo...that photo is not reality...it is sad....isn't being a great athlete good enough!

Cheers for that!
It's as I said the cult of the size zero, why on earth airbrush her, she is looks really good in the non airbrushed photos!. I wouldn't object to nude photos if she wanted to do them but show her as she is, a fit professional MMA fighter not a thin little waif with a 'helpless' expression on her face, for goodness sake she has just destroyed someone in the cage celebrate that or is that too threatening? I suspect it's that aspect they are trying to 'sell' - that she's not really that good at what she does, she's really just a helpless little girl looking for a big strong man to look after here....as if! They should get over it and 'sell'/promote her as what she is a professional fighter who, while in my opinion needs to round her game more, is perfectly bankable doing what she is doing.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have a daughter....and I don't want her to ever have to sell herself this way!

spartan_woman

White Belt
Reaction score
Rousey is one of my role models. Perhps the best since my first role model, Cris Cyborg, got caught out cheating. If Ronda doesn't persuade all you men that women can fight for real, nobody will. She's wonderfully tough and aggressive. She doesn't worry about breaking an arm if that's what it takes. I want to be more like her!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rousey is one of my role models. Perhps the best since my first role model, Cris Cyborg, got caught out cheating. If Ronda doesn't persuade all you men that women can fight for real, nobody will. She's wonderfully tough and aggressive. She doesn't worry about breaking an arm if that's what it takes. I want to be more like her!

All you men? Lol, this woman can fight too. I know a lot of female fighters all of whom are good role models. The men on this site do know women can fight that's never been in doubt. Rousey will be fine if she can persuade the magazines etc not to airbrush her, she looks good as she is and doesn't need to be made to look thinner to appease magazine editors.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ronda Rousey is a great fighter and I am hoping that She gets more fights. I am also looking for her to be tested standing up ...Nobody is going to be able to stay with her on the ground at this point...

It does not appear that the female fighters thus far have a take down defense to deal with her...if someone can keep it standing she might get beat...until then first round arm bars!

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ronda Rousey is a great fighter and I am hoping that She gets more fights. I am also looking for her to be tested standing up ...Nobody is going to be able to stay with her on the ground at this point...

It does not appear that the female fighters thus far have a take down defense to deal with her...if someone can keep it standing she might get beat...until then first round arm bars!

She imposes her game plan, I don't mind her not demonstrating her standup game. That said I want to see her standing-she trains with the Diaz brothers who have good boxing.

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
She imposes her game plan, I don't mind her not demonstrating her standup game. That said I want to see her standing-she trains with the Diaz brothers who have good boxing.
aye, she's been asked about it before and shes just said that the ground is her best technique so why not use it :)

she still has good striking though and thats what she concentrates on now. to quote 'i've had 10 years experience on the mat so im working on my standup'

last female boxer she trained with she broke her jaw.. she's certainly not lacking in striking ability

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
She has been talking about her striking! Nobody has been able to keep a fight with her standing. I am looking forward to the day that happens. She needs to grow!