Ok, here's one for ya.

Dad of lady Taz!

White Belt
Reaction score
Two fighters (teammates) go to the nationals. Fighter A - First year in 14 -17 has had good success in 13 and under. Fighter B - Older, National team member, with international expierience...including the world games.

Just so happens they are in the same division where on the line is team trials, and jr pan am games. Although I know what the custom is...both fighters compete without a coach, but with so much on the line, as well as giving up quite a bit in expierience etc., What would be your thoughts on fighter A having their personal coach (parent) even though fighter B does not have one and the instructor decides to sit this one out?

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally? I'm in to win. TKD is not a team sport and I'm gonna have every advantage I can find.

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Two fighters (teammates) go to the nationals. Fighter A - First year in 14 -17 has had good success in 13 and under. Fighter B - Older, National team member, with international expierience...including the world games.

Just so happens they are in the same division where on the line is team trials, and jr pan am games. Although I know what the custom is...both fighters compete without a coach, but with so much on the line, as well as giving up quite a bit in expierience etc., What would be your thoughts on fighter A having their personal coach (parent) even though fighter B does not have one and the instructor decides to sit this one out?
I could definitely agree with that option if Player B and the parents are cool with it. I've always had my junior coaches sit in with my players in this situation. I just tell them to tone-down the coaching and to coach their adjustments on the break.

I remember years ago I had to fight a teammate at a state final. My stepfather asked if either one of us wanted to bowout. We didn't want to so we fought. I was his senior. He asked us to keep it safe and respectful with no coaches. My teammate started off fast and was showboating against me. I responded by Double Kick to the face! It got very hot after that....all of my seniors were like "WTF" after the match!!!!! I pointed at my teammate and said, "He brought upon himself and I had to answer back".

I just prefer having junior coaches in their chairs because players can be very tentative, a lesser player wins, or it can get heated like in my case.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally? I'm in to win. TKD is not a team sport and I'm gonna have every advantage I can find.

Taekwondo is a team sport, in more ways than one. People who fly solo don't usually get very far.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, it's a team sport right up until I have a teammate facing me from across the mat. Then the better martial artist wins.

As for "not getting very far", I'll be 19 in a few days and I take my school over a week or so after that. That means whatever you want it to :)

Last edited:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score

Should be an easy fight for competitor B.

I just had this exact scenario at the Stanford open. My daughter and another teammate met up in the same division. My daughter is defending 12-13 light weight champ (2010 JO's). The teammate is new black belt that is pretty good. I coached the other girl and my daughter had no coach. My daughter won 11 - 0.

Now this was not Nationals but it may happen at Nationals. If it does then both girls will have a coach.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ATC you're an instructor correct? So you'd coach this girl as part of your duties anyway?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would let the parent coach the girls, as a school owner I would not coach either of them because it is an individual duty to try and beat each other. But like some has said TKD is very much a team sport without your teammates how could can you truely be.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, it's a team sport right up until I have a teammate facing me from across the mat. Then the better martial artist wins.

That doesn't mean you still aren't part of the same team.

As for "not getting very far", I'll be 19 in a few days and I take my school over a week or so after that. That means whatever you want it to :)

Do you think that's going far, taking over your school?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
ATC you're an instructor correct? So you'd coach this girl as part of your duties anyway?
Well yes, but we normally do no coaches or bow out and do a rock. paper, sissors thing for the gold vs. silver.

I will most likely always coach the underdog or less experienced. If it were nationals, I would coach both from the side, just reinforcing adjustments. Like guard the left side. Setup back kick and so on. But for both. Even though my daughter was one of them.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That doesn't mean you still aren't part of the same team.

Do you think that's going far, taking over your school?

I do, actually, I was proud to be asked. Farther than I ever expected to go, anyway.

All I really mean is I would have no qualms at all having someone coach me against a team mate. My father for example, growing up he used to coach myself and some of my fellow students but he'd always be in my corner if I was competing against someone from our school.

Well yes, but we normally do no coaches or bow out and do a rock. paper, sissors thing for the gold vs. silver.

I will most likely always coach the underdog or less experienced. If it were nationals, I would coach both from the side, just reinforcing adjustments. Like guard the left side. Setup back kick and so on. But for both. Even though my daughter was one of them.

I was curious; my father used to coach a bit too but he was never an instructor. In fact most of us outranked him.