Ok Clear to start working out

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Feeling better but this week I have only lost 2 lbs. With that being said I dis-appointed in myself, wanted to average at least 6-10 pounds a week.

6-10 pounds a week is not healthy - 2-3 is the recommended rate for those who want to lose weight and keep it off. Slow and steady is much healthier, and also easier to maintain in the long run. Also, as you continue to increase your exercise, you need to ensure that you eat enough, or you'll have other problems as well - among them, eating too little puts your body into starvation mode, and causes it to hold onto all the fat it can. Bear in mind, too, that muscle is denser than fat, but it weighs more too. You should ask your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist or dietician.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I strongly support this advice. Just as a background, I'm a nationally certified fitness instructor. 2-3 lbs/week is a healthy rate.

To gain 95 pounds (no matter the lack of physical training) shows that the diet and eating habits are very unbalanced from what your body requires. Unfortunately, most people don't understand proper nutrition. So, I'm not picking on you, Terry. Most people follow the "unbalanced diet" trend. It has to be a lifestyle change in eating, not just a temporary fix.

So, as a help to your effort, spend a few dollars to get on track with a nutritionist. From my experience, proper diet is about 90% of the weight-loss battle.

R. McLain

6-10 pounds a week is not healthy - 2-3 is the recommended rate for those who want to lose weight and keep it off. Slow and steady is much healthier, and also easier to maintain in the long run. Also, as you continue to increase your exercise, you need to ensure that you eat enough, or you'll have other problems as well - among them, eating too little puts your body into starvation mode, and causes it to hold onto all the fat it can. Bear in mind, too, that muscle is denser than fat, but it weighs more too. You should ask your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist or dietician.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Thank you Kacey I have a dietician all ready, I have set goals high so I cannot fail, realisticly 3-4 pounds a week is what I want and that is fine with my doctor and dietician. I just want to get back to being around 200 instead of 270 and one day maybe if GOD is willing I will be back at 175 now that would be great.

buldog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Even 3-4 lbs a week is alot, especially if you are coming off an injury that really reduces your ability to hit the cardio real hard. I started out at 250 about 4 months ago(with 3 weeks off due to reinjury) and I am currently at 230, so about 5 lbs a month. My goal is 185 and I figured about a year to take it off safely and let my body adjust so I can keep it off. Just let your body tell you how hard you can push it and don't get discouraged when you hit a plateau. I was stuck at 235 for almost 3 weeks and then all of a sudden I was down to 230 in 3 days and not doing anything different. Do you have access to a stationary bike or eliptical trainer? they are much lower impact than running and may be a better option at this point in your rehab. Good luck and we'll compare pictures when we reach our goals.
Scott

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even 3-4 lbs a week is alot, especially if you are coming off an injury that really reduces your ability to hit the cardio real hard. I started out at 250 about 4 months ago(with 3 weeks off due to reinjury) and I am currently at 230, so about 5 lbs a month. My goal is 185 and I figured about a year to take it off safely and let my body adjust so I can keep it off. Just let your body tell you how hard you can push it and don't get discouraged when you hit a plateau. I was stuck at 235 for almost 3 weeks and then all of a sudden I was down to 230 in 3 days and not doing anything different. Do you have access to a stationary bike or eliptical trainer? they are much lower impact than running and may be a better option at this point in your rehab. Good luck and we'll compare pictures when we reach our goals.
Scott

We shall see in a year where I am at. Hopefully about 200 lbs. Thank you for your concern and post.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
11/30/2004

Workout today was riding stationary bike for thirty minutes, knee's where swollen. 100 crunches ab lounger, 50 sit-ups. 100 Jump-n-jacks. 25 push -ups. walked for twenty minute around the workout floor. Lifted light wieghts with twenty reps. finished with stretches. Tired but not as sore today, maybe I need to do the bike insteed of running.

buldog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad the bike might help lessen your pain. Do you ice it afterwards? Most people know they should but rarely do they actually take the time to do it(guilty as charged as i'm typing this). The ice really helps with the pain and swelling and quickens your recovery time.
Scott

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad the bike might help lessen your pain. Do you ice it afterwards? Most people know they should but rarely do they actually take the time to do it(guilty as charged as i'm typing this). The ice really helps with the pain and swelling and quickens your recovery time.
Scott

For the most times Yes but maybe once or twice a week it is just a brother.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I know running can be very good for you but I have never been able to understand WHY people persist at it when their body (knees) are telling then not to.

I use to work with a guy that refused to stop running even after 2 knee surgeries per knee. OK so he can run now but when he is 70 he will be lucky if he can walk.

If it hurts and persists and gets worse then it is best not to, a bike is good to. I use to run but I could not run on the road I only ran off road but now, multiple injuries later I have relegated myself to the treadmill inside and walking outside

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dec.1st 2007

It was the same routine as yesterday but added no running only the bike so knees are better today. Also as a side to trainingI put up Christmas light outside and inside and the tree. So a double workout today.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
December 3rd 2007

Started out with stretching and then walked about 1/2 mile

Rode exorcise bike for 30 minutes

100 crunches on ab lounger

jump rope for 15 minutes

Did set of three kicks: roundhouse, sidekicks, backkicks, axe kicks and then crescents.

finished with another brisk walk and stretches.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
December 4th 2007

Rode thirty minutes on bike then did 100 crunches ab lounger

Then worked on all poomsae

Then went though all one steps

Ended with jumping rope for thirty minutes

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes it is worked out the 5 and 6 the same as the previous days.

The 7 and 8 I was sick with the flu like so I really did nothing, Sunday was Yolanda Birthday and church but walked about two miles at the mall.
Yesterday the 10 went back to workout again, walked for a mile did 100 crunches and only threw 10 od each kick per leg. Wprked on SD and poomsae for anothe hour and then came home for bed.

Sorry about not updating this everyday will not let it happen again.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't worry about updating it every day, Terry - people only ask because we care, but we'd rather you work out than write about it.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are right Kacey but I need to keep track as well.

Today 12/11/07

Rode exorcise bike for thirty minutes walk another thirty. Did 100 crunches and only twenty five push ups. 100 jNj, did another ten kicks with each kicks on both legs and then worked the heavey bag for twenty minutes.

Latest Discussions