Oils, Liniments, Balms

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
On another note regarding Dit Da Jow I also heard on Tuesday that its main function is to disperse blood and qi and that Zheng Gu Shui is used to draw blood and qi to an area. I have heard about using Dit Da Jow and Zheng Gu Shui in alternation for injuries.

More accurately this would be to disperse stagnated xue and qi. Otherwise it acts to smooth qi flow. Appropriate use of die dajiu (跌打酒) is for trauma, not for sore muscles. The other liniments and oils/lotions are better suited for that.

I know that certain products have a cooling action while others have a warming action. I had a thought...not sure if this is right or not but if it is then it would make sense. My thought was that products with a cooling action would disperse blood and energy and that warming products would draw blood and energy. My thought was based on basic physiology: when we get cold our furthest extremities are first affected as the body naturally draws blood to the core and when we are hot skin can become flushed equating to blood being drawn toward the surface of the skin. Once again, it was a thought but if someone could confirm or deny this for me that would be great.
Not exactly. When we talk about cold, damp, heat, wind, phlegm, fire, etc. we are not speaking about it in the same manner that western thought would think. Both cooling and warming liniments can disperse and/or tonify. It is dependent upon application, ailment, and substance. For example some die dajiu is cooling and some are warming, some only disperse stagnated xue and qi/smooth qi, while other have tonifying qualities. This is the difference between a training die dajiu (applied before training) and a recovery die dajiu (one used to heal trauma. Sometimes to tonify one must first cool or sedate.

I saw an interesting point in the previous post about a Thai balm that tends to work better on calf muscles particularly. I've been noticing that the different balms and oils that I have each seem to be more effective on different parts of the body.
This is due to the jingluo (经络) or meridians in the areas, some liniments are more appropriate to use on certain parts of the body than others because of the energetic qualities of the jingluo and the nature of the trauma to the area.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
DMSO is dangerous if not used properly. You need to make sure that what you apply the liniment with is sterile and that the area you are applying it to is disinfected. It is very effective, however there is a very good reason (as Stacy has already pointed out) as to why it was pulled from the market for human consumption. Just be aware of the dangers in using it, and best of luck to you in your training.

I would also like to address that in your training you should not be breaking bone, rather strengthening it. There are many things you can do to help this along, so that your training no longer debilitates you.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ahh I am not breaking bones training in MA's but with the horses. Race horses tend to be very very fractious and getting your toes and tarsle bones broken as well as your hands is just going to happen. There is no way around it. The beasts are too hot, too strong, too fast and too unpredictable to keep safe all the time.
lori

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been using Blue Emu the last week or so and it made my shin splints and calf pain go away VERY quickly. Usually they take much longer to heal.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know the real science behind Emu Oil as I have heard several people say it's very good. That and arnica for bruises.
lori

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know about all these products marketed specifically for ma's.. . For bruises, look for any linament that has arnica montana in it. Arnica is the best vulnerary I have found, and often times if I apply it right after class, I don't even bruise to begin with. **DO NOT USE ARNICA OVER OPEN WOUNDS OR INGEST!**

As for muscle soreness, tiger balm works alright, tei fu lotion works okay too, but I typically use biofreeze. Basically most of these muscle soreness lotions, creams, and gels' main active ingredient is typically wintergreen. Wintergreen's most phyto-active compound is methyl salicylate (chemically very similar to aspirin).

30 mL (about 1 fl oz) of oil of wintergreen is equivalent to 55.7 g of aspirin, or about 171 adult aspirin tablets (US).

Anytime anything is swollen after class, ice it for 20 minutes on the hour. Icing within the first couple of hours significantly reduces healing times and severity of injury.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Arnica works by stimulating the activity of white blood cells that perform much of the digestion of congested blood, and by dispersing trapped, disorganized fluids from bumped and bruised tissue, joints, and muscles.

Arnica is known to stimulate blood circulation and can raise blood pressure, especially in the coronary arteries. So is you are on BP medication or tend towards the high side, be careful using this product, or use something else.

I don't know about all these products marketed specifically for ma's.. . For bruises, look for any linament that has arnica montana in it. Arnica is the best vulnerary I have found, and often times if I apply it right after class, I don't even bruise to begin with.

The same results can be found with a good diedajiu

**DO NOT USE ARNICA OVER OPEN WOUNDS OR INGEST!**
While the former is true, the latter is not. Certainly don't ingest the cream, however the pellets are made specifically to ingest, and is used to treat wounds of all sorts.

Anytime anything is swollen after class, ice it for 20 minutes on the hour. Icing within the first couple of hours significantly reduces healing times and severity of injury.
This is the accepted western/allopathic method, it is not the accepted TCM/eastern method. The Chinese have a saying ice is for dead men. Applying ice does help with pain and inflammation, it also introduces cold into the body (one of the pernicious influences) which is one of the hardest to expel from the body in the chronic stage of the injury/recovery. TCM indicates heat. I ascribe to alternating ice and heat.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Xinglu,

Arnica of any kind is poisonous to the body, the pellets you are referring to are homeopathic, meaning there is no arnica actually in them.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
The vast majority of arnica creams/gels/ointments are homeopathic as well. In fact you typically can't go to the stores and get the herbal form in anything other than oil.

It is also indicated for internal use (as herb not homeopathic) for certain heart disorders.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The vast majority of arnica creams/gels/ointments are homeopathic as well. In fact you typically can't go to the stores and get the herbal form in anything other than oil.

It is also indicated for internal use (as herb not homeopathic) for certain heart disorders.

I agree with both of your statements. However, IMHO, I would never encourage the layperson to ingest arnica montana (herb, not homeopathic) due its potential dangers to the body.

I use a non-homeopathic preparation for external use in my office and for personal use. I agree that the majority of arnica creams on the market are homeopathic preparations, but I believe it is due to the risk of the cream being used on open wounds.

The dosage for internal use, as you well know, is very small.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't encourage laypersons to use herbs or homeopathics to self treat. Especially if they are on medications or currently on other supplements, as there are interactions to consider.

This is why I make it habit to have have a long conversation about supplementation with each and every one of my clients.

Latest Discussions