Oils, Liniments, Balms

L-Pro

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello MT members. I was wondering what everyone's favorite oil/liniment/balm was for injuries (bruising, muscle pain, etc).

I have tried zheng gu shui, wood lock oil, and some dit da jow (supposedly) and so far of these three it seemed like the wood lock oil worked best. I have been looking at many different available products, most of which fall under the Solstice Medicine Company. The inactive ingredients vary from one product to the next but I am not versed enough to know what all the ingredients are or what they do exactly.

If you could please help me by telling me which product(s) you use and why you think it/they are the best. Thank you.

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tiger Balm Extra Strength for the win. It smells nice, it penetrates, and it simultaneously soothes muscle soreness and clears my sinuses.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cryogel, some injuries need cold not heat. Works well and smells very pleasantly.
Tiger Balm is good for mosquito and gnat bites as well as headaches.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like Tiger Balm too but I prefer dit da jow. But it's important to have a top quality jow and to use the jow formula specific to your needs. As with any other product, they are not all equal. For bruising, I found the Eight Immortals jow by Shaolin Brand to be fantastic.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use an Aussie product called Pain Away it comes in a cream or a little pump spray bottle.
It contains emu oil , eucalyptus and a couple of other things , it doesn't smell too bad either.

The first I heard about it was that some of the teams in the N.R.L (rugby league) were using it , so I thought I would give it a try.

I've used all sorts of stuff over the years , most of them either asphyxiate you with the fumes or almost burn your skin off , but this stuff really seems to work.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tiger balm and Vitamin C (esther C) tablets. Helps heal those broken capillaries :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Zheng gu shui is, i believe, a menthol product and this would make it something similar to tiger balm. The menthol makes you feel a bit better for a short period of time, but I do not believe it does much or anything to actually aid any healing.

I don't know what woodlock oil is.

dit da jow exists in many forms, and is very useful for brusing and contusions, and conditioning. It's not to be used for cuts and open wounds or broken bones or torn ligaments and more severe injuries of that type.

Back in the day many teachers and healers in China had their own formula for dit da jow, and it was often closely guarded and not passed on to others but for family and close and trusted students. Nowadays, it is commonly available in places like San Francisco's Chinatown. The problem is, it still is not all the same and much of the stuff easily available is mass-produced in places like Hong Kong and Beijing, for mass consumption. I believe these are cranked out daily in high-volume batches,

It's my understanding, however, that a good jow takes time to make. It needs time to brew and stew and whatnot, to become better than the average jow. Sometimes you can get a good jow that is still made by a Chinese doctor, in small batches, with the necessary time involved to make it better than most. This kind of thing is still often not available on a mass-consumption level, and I doubt you'll find it on the internet.

I know there are things on the internet that people feel are good, and maybe they are. I don't know much or anything about them, so I won't comment specifically. But if they are brewed and cranked out quickly, they are not a superior jow.

There are also different formulas that are designed for different purposes. Honestly, I don't know much about that. Supposedly some formulas are better for conditioning in iron palm type training and whatnot, while others are better for "healing" purposes. Personally, I think they are all essentially "healing" linaments, but it is possible that an Iron Palm jow will have some additional qualities that another jow may not have. Again, I'll be honest and just say that I don't really know much about that.

However, if you have a good healing jow, I think you are on the right track. I believe you could use a good healing jow for things like Iron Palm as well. It may not be quite as good as a specific Iron Palm jow, but it's definitely much much better than doing iron palm conditioning without any kind of jow.

It's my opinion that most people are probably not doing Iron Palm correctly and methodically as they ought to. Don't think that simply having an Iron Palm jow will give you Iron palms. It is a long and dilligent training process, combined with proper healing, that leads to iron palm. Jow is just one component of the process.

I wouldn't worry quite so much about specific formulas, as long as you get a good one.

I will put out an offer to folks here on Martialtalk. I have access to a better-than-average jow. I get it from my accupuncturist, and it is made in small, controlled batches by one of his medical teachers here in San Francisco. The man who makes it has been practicing Chinese medicine for many decades. He gives the jow several months to brew, it's not something that he cranks out quickly.

I don't know what his formula is, and I don't know how it compares to some others out there, but I am a believer that it is better than the average stuff that is commercially available. Basically, I and my sifu trust my accupuncturist, and he trusts the man who makes this jow, and that's good enough for me.

If people out there in Martialtalk land who don't have access to a good source of jow, let me know and I can get some and send it to you. Send me a PM and we can discuss.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello MT members. I was wondering what everyone's favorite oil/liniment/balm was for injuries (bruising, muscle pain, etc).

I have tried zheng gu shui, wood lock oil, and some dit da jow (supposedly) and so far of these three it seemed like the wood lock oil worked best. I have been looking at many different available products, most of which fall under the Solstice Medicine Company. The inactive ingredients vary from one product to the next but I am not versed enough to know what all the ingredients are or what they do exactly.

If you could please help me by telling me which product(s) you use and why you think it/they are the best. Thank you.

I have use both Woodlock and Zheng-Gu-Shi..I like WhiteFlower for muscle pains..Good stuff.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
White Flower Oil is like Tigers Balm on steroids...

OP
L

L-Pro

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for responding to my inquiry. I would like to address a couple points that were made.

White Flower Oil: I saw this stuff both online and also at the local Asian Market. From what I've read this is supposed to have a cooling effect. I have considered trying it and will probably buy a bottle at some point to compare with the other products I have.

Hot vs. Cold: I read the comment that was posted about the need for cooling action versus heating action. From my research so far it seems that the cooling products should be used for acute injuries where as the heating products are used for remnant pain or injuries. If someone could expound more on this that would be great.

Vitamins: I have heard that the best Vitamins are A, C, E, and K. I am also interested in learning about "healing foods" and I've also known broccoli to be a superfood having probably the highest all-around nutritional value of all foods. Someone also suggested Omega 3s like fish oil.

Dit Da Jow: I currently have half of a bottle of Five Photo Brand Dit Da Jow that someone gave me. One of the replies on this thread mentioned that Dit Da Jow should not be used on cuts, etc. but this seems to be contradictory to everything that I've read. The bottle itself even says that it is an antiseptic for cuts, scrapes and burns so I am confused about this stuff. I have seen the Shaolin Brand Dit Da Jow online as well but I'm sure that knowing someone who can make it would be much better than something mass produced.

I also encountered a product called BIOFREEZE that has a cooling action and is also endorsed by the US Judo team. I tried some from a sample packet someone gave me and this was pretty good and intense.

Another but of information I came across mentioned overdose, especially in regards to Methyl Salicylate. I don't know how much of an liniment would need to be applied to reach this level but I thought it was interesting that it was mentioned.

If anyone has any other suggestions or would like to discuss some of these points I would be grateful to hear your input. Thanks again!

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Reaction score
I have to say that I have always been a dit da jow for external injuries and dit da wan for internal injuries.

I have been making and useing jow for over 20 years.

I have been selling strong dit da jow for various injuries for over 10.

If anyone is interested you can visit my site or contact me via pm here.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dit Da Jow: I currently have half of a bottle of Five Photo Brand Dit Da Jow that someone gave me. One of the replies on this thread mentioned that Dit Da Jow should not be used on cuts, etc. but this seems to be contradictory to everything that I've read. The bottle itself even says that it is an antiseptic for cuts, scrapes and burns so I am confused about this stuff. I have seen the Shaolin Brand Dit Da Jow online as well but I'm sure that knowing someone who can make it would be much better than something mass produced.

Hmmmm, I've always heard not to apply jow to open cuts. As far as Sholin Brand, it is not mass produced in the way you're thinking. My Sifu makes it a batch at a time. I believe Dale knows of him.

Whatever you find that works for you, please let us know. :)

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dit da jow for bruising. I've got some strong stuff I bought from Brendan Lai decades ago which I save for the deep bruises.

Tiger Balm is good for the sore muscles. Years ago, I got a product called Golden Cup balm, made in Thailand. Have not seen it lately, but it was really good for sore muscles, too. Especially (for some reason) sore calf muscles.

OP
L

L-Pro

White Belt
Reaction score
I heard an interesting piece of information this past Tuesday. I brought up that on the bottle of Five Photo Brand jow that I have it states that it is to be used for cuts, scrapes and burns. I was told that this description is used for legal purposes only. I was told that a product claiming to help move qi would not be approved for sale in other countries, especially USA.

On another note regarding Dit Da Jow I also heard on Tuesday that its main function is to disperse blood and qi and that Zheng Gu Shui is used to draw blood and qi to an area. I have heard about using Dit Da Jow and Zheng Gu Shui in alternation for injuries.

I know that certain products have a cooling action while others have a warming action. I had a thought...not sure if this is right or not but if it is then it would make sense. My thought was that products with a cooling action would disperse blood and energy and that warming products would draw blood and energy. My thought was based on basic physiology: when we get cold our furthest extremities are first affected as the body naturally draws blood to the core and when we are hot skin can become flushed equating to blood being drawn toward the surface of the skin. Once again, it was a thought but if someone could confirm or deny this for me that would be great.

I saw an interesting point in the previous post about a Thai balm that tends to work better on calf muscles particularly. I've been noticing that the different balms and oils that I have each seem to be more effective on different parts of the body.

I am still experimenting with different products. I currently have Wong To Yick (woodlock oil), Imada Red Flower Oil, White Flower Oil, Kwan Loong Oil, Po Sum On oil, Dit Da Jow, Zheng Gu Shui, Tiger Balm, White Monkey Holding Peach Balm, and Iodex Double Power.

Dagney Taggert

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like the Tiger Balm patches.

Another good healing potion (though not an oil or linament) is an Epsom Salt bath. I buy the 1/2 gallon boxes and dump the whole thing into a bath for a long soak. You can also add lavender oil or eucalyptus oil.

During intense training periods I drink a dash of organic Apple Cider Vinegar with powdered minerals in a 16 ounce glass of water before I go to bed. My BJJ friends think I am nuts, but I swear by this recipe for keeping my ph and mineral levels running evenly.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I use the same stuff I rub down the race horses with. Absorbine, Cool Green, Blue lotion, and Dynamint. There are other concotions that I put on cuts like Green Wound Cream ( bought from vet) that contain a mix of antibiotics and steroids that heal cuts in a day or so and neato compounds that can be mixed up a pint at a time that will heat and then cool. You find this out what works when you have your hands and feet broken on a regular basis and the stuff you rub the horses down with or use to treat thier owies takes away the feeling that your hands are full of broken glass. Sometimes DMSO can carry topical steroids and anti-inflamitories to the site. Not recommened but sometimes you must do what you must do.
lori

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DMSO can also carry dangerous bacteria to the site, Lori. I knew a vet who treated several horses for infections caused by DMSO. I would never use it on a horse, much less myself. PLEASE be careful with that stuff!