Officer Down: A Memorial to Fallen Officers.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Officer Stephen Arkell, Brentwood (NH) PD, EOW May 12, 2014

Arkell was a part-time officer responding to a domestic call alone. Both the fact that he was part-time, and responding alone is not at all unusual for small towns up here in NH.

The call stemmed from people in the neighboring duplex heard the two arguing. Father was in his 80s, son was in his 40s.

Arkell was ambushed gunfire immediately upon entry to the home by the son.

Officer Derek Franek from the neighboring town of Fremont raced over to the home, in hopes of saving Arkell. The son fired multiple times on Franek. Franek was able to avoid gunfire -- possibly because the son had abandoned his vantage point and had gone to set fires at multiple places around the home.

The gunfire punctured town gas pipes, releasing propane in to the home, causing the home to explode in flames during the standoff. Miraculously, Brentwood (and surrounding towns) were able to contain the fire and keep it from spreading to the other side of the duplex.

The father, and Officer Franek, were able to escape without serious injury. The son was believed to be killed by the blaze, and Officer Arkell believed to have died of his injuries.

We will never forget Steve - News - seacoastonline.com - Portsmouth NH

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank You Carol didnt feel right to "like" the post but thank you for posting it

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank You Carol didnt feel right to "like" the post but thank you for posting it

I understand totally what you mean. Meant to post the story when it happened but I think I was too in shock...as was the rest of the state. A local newspaper referenced it as their story of the year, which made me think of it again.

Latest Discussions