Odd Question

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an odd question. I just tested for my 2nd gup today. Now, in the past, we have been told that we are not allowed to ask if we passed our test or not......the only way you would find out, is if you came to class the next time and the instructors taught you new material. At 2nd gup, there is no new material, so how would one know if they passed or not?

I have a feeling the answer is going to be "when your Sa Bum Nim puts a stripe on you belt" but I was just wondering if there was some way of telling.

Thank you!

So I walked into my masters office after class Monday and asked him, "how come there isn't any new material for 2nd gup?". In which he replied, "that's red belt to ya....it's a rough rank......there's nothing to teach. You do get a new break though. And be tankful that you are learned the Chil Sung forms because we can concentrate on them for the next six months."

So the good news: I passed!!
The bad news: It's gonna be a long six months until I can test again and learn something new. Maybe I should chill out a bit and start going twice a week instead of three times to avoid the threat of getting frustrated and bored.
Thanks to everyone that responded.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I keep wanting to make the joke about waiting until your check clears. But, I think I'll pass on it since you found out your answer.

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I keep wanting to make the joke about waiting until your check clears. But, I think I'll pass on it since you found out your answer.

It would be funny to say that. I'd probably be hated after I said it though.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The other reason I can think of to not publically call out who has passed and who hasn't is also a face saving gesture - for the rare few who fail. By the time you are reccommended to test, you had best be able to pass it, or else something is wrong. A brief time before announcement of passings allows the instructor time to speak with those who failed privately.

Also, I would note that in some schools, the hyung curriculum has contracted somewhat over the years; Kaygee's school appears to be an example of this, as Passai is spoken of in the singular. I was taught Passai So at 3rd gup, Passai Dai at 2nd gup.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I walked into my masters office after class Monday and asked him, "how come there isn't any new material for 2nd gup?". In which he replied, "that's red belt to ya....it's a rough rank......there's nothing to teach. You do get a new break though. And be tankful that you are learned the Chil Sung forms because we can concentrate on them for the next six months."

So the good news: I passed!!
The bad news: It's gonna be a long six months until I can test again and learn something new. Maybe I should chill out a bit and start going twice a week instead of three times to avoid the threat of getting frustrated and bored.
Thanks to everyone that responded.

Now is the time to realize that your job isn't to learn something "new"; it's to REALLY learn all the "old" stuff. This links back to a recent thread about whether there's an end to learning; I'm not going to rehash it completely. Now that you're not concerned with learning a new form or new kicks/punches, it's time to take what you've already learned, and make sure that the lessons of the others haven't been lost.

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Now is the time to realize that your job isn't to learn something "new"; it's to REALLY learn all the "old" stuff. This links back to a recent thread about whether there's an end to learning; I'm not going to rehash it completely. Now that you're not concerned with learning a new form or new kicks/punches, it's time to take what you've already learned, and make sure that the lessons of the others haven't been lost.

Completely understood! As stated, the only way we knew if we passed or not was if we learned something new at the next class, and there isn't any new material to learn at 2nd gup, so I put this thread up asking if there was any way I would be able to tell prior to my Sah Bum Nim placing a stripe on my belt.

I look at the whole 2 years of red belt training as nothing but mastering all of the basics of the art so I can obtain a black belt. And that is what I plan to do....get all of my basics down to the point where they are the best they can be so I can get my black belt and finally start to learn this art!

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The other reason I can think of to not publically call out who has passed and who hasn't is also a face saving gesture - for the rare few who fail. By the time you are reccommended to test, you had best be able to pass it, or else something is wrong. A brief time before announcement of passings allows the instructor time to speak with those who failed privately.

Also, I would note that in some schools, the hyung curriculum has contracted somewhat over the years; Kaygee's school appears to be an example of this, as Passai is spoken of in the singular. I was taught Passai So at 3rd gup, Passai Dai at 2nd gup.

Two things!;

1. I have never seen anyone fail a test in my short two years of being at my school.
2. I would love to know the difference between Passai So and Passai Dai. Is there anywhere that you know where I can see these?

Thanks!

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Two things!;

1. I have never seen anyone fail a test in my short two years of being at my school.
2. I would love to know the difference between Passai So and Passai Dai. Is there anywhere that you know where I can see these?

Thanks!

1. It should be rare, but can happen, particularly with children with various issues. I've only seen one or two occurrences in the last seven years.
2. Passai So. Passai Dai. There are many various forms that all run under the name Passai/Bassai, cropping up across a wide variety of lineages.

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
1. It should be rare, but can happen, particularly with children with various issues. I've only seen one or two occurrences in the last seven years.
2. Passai So. Passai Dai. There are many various forms that all run under the name Passai/Bassai, cropping up across a wide variety of lineages.

So the Passai Dai is the Passai that is taught in my school as "Passai", and it is taught to us at 3rd gup and we do not learn another form until Niachi Sho Dan at 1st gup.
I have never seen the Passai So that you posted before, and it was actually quite an interesting form. I wonder why there are so many variations of Tang Soo Do out there....

chodancandidate

White Belt
Reaction score
In my school, if we don't pass, our instructor re-tests the sections we failed within 1-2 weeks. If you don't have to re-test, then you passed.

It is not proper etiquette to ask your sa bom nim if you passed or failed, but it is wrong of them to keep you in the dark. If you passed, you should know it.