Odd Question

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an odd question. I just tested for my 2nd gup today. Now, in the past, we have been told that we are not allowed to ask if we passed our test or not......the only way you would find out, is if you came to class the next time and the instructors taught you new material. At 2nd gup, there is no new material, so how would one know if they passed or not?

I have a feeling the answer is going to be "when your Sa Bum Nim puts a stripe on you belt" but I was just wondering if there was some way of telling.

Thank you!

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is new material.

Be patient and go to class.

You will find out when it is time

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, perhaps my school is different than yours because I have learned all of the forms (up to passai) and cannot learn Naichi Sho Dan until 1st gup, so, outside of the new break that I will be given, there aren't any new hand techniques, one step sparrings or self defenses as they remain constant throughout red belt (3rd, 2nd and 1st)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We tell people they have passed straight after and award belts, if you've worked hard ( and paid for your grading!) you deserve to be told properly without any of this mystique stuff.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an odd question. I just tested for my 2nd gup today. Now, in the past, we have been told that we are not allowed to ask if we passed our test or not......the only way you would find out, is if you came to class the next time and the instructors taught you new material. At 2nd gup, there is no new material, so how would one know if they passed or not?

I have a feeling the answer is going to be "when your Sa Bum Nim puts a stripe on you belt" but I was just wondering if there was some way of telling.

Thank you!

Is it possible to ask the question just as you have asked (how would one know...) with the instructor in private?

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I guess my school is different than others because we are not allowed to ask. The only way we know would be if they showed us new material next class. We do not receive our rank for 2-3 weeks after test.

For example:
Let's say you are a 5th gup and you just tested on Saturday.......
The way you would tell that you passed would be if my instructor came over and taught you Pyong Ahn o Dahn. If he didn't, then you didn't pass.....

But we are reminded constantly not to ask if we are testing or if we passed/failed.

Thank you for all of your replies. Tang Soo!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For other TSD practitioners - Is this a common practice (not telling a student if they've passed a test or allowing them to ask)? It sounds kind of nutty to me.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats ok , when they ask you "When are you going to pay your training fees?"
You say "Sorry I can't tell you".

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am gathering by the responses that this is not a practice that is common amongst other schools. Thank you for your replies!!

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In Judo you find out right after testing... I think what your school does is rare...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You really shouldn't need to ask. You ought to know. You might not be able to predict your exact score, but you ought to be able to tell pretty close. If you're not sure that you're going to pass, maybe you're testing too soon.

If there really is no new material, then what purpose does the rank hold?

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good question! I learned passai at 3rd gup and I have learned all of the red belt one step sparrings and all of the 21 red belt self defenses and there are no new one steps or self defenses until 1st dan.
The next form I can learn is Niachi Sho Dahn, and you do not get to learn that until 1st gup.

I always thought of 2nd gup as just a rank to show that you are progressing.........

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good question! I learned passai at 3rd gup and I have learned all of the red belt one step sparrings and all of the 21 red belt self defenses and there are no new one steps or self defenses until 1st dan.
The next form I can learn is Niachi Sho Dahn, and you do not get to learn that until 1st gup.

I always thought of 2nd gup as just a rank to show that you are progressing.........

That's how I always viewed the colored belt system...frequent steps to keep a newer student motivated and progressing...untill they reach a point where they are sent to go forward on their own, with less structure and support :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

That really just sort of dances aroud the question, though. If you're not learning anything new, then are you progressing?

Other than generating income for the school, what purpose does this rank serve?

I actually have a pretty good idea what your Masters answer would be, but at 2nd geup you ought to be able to come up with it yourself. I'm prodding you to think about it...

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That really just sort of dances aroud the question, though. If you're not learning anything new, then are you progressing?

Other than generating income for the school, what purpose does this rank serve?

I actually have a pretty good idea what your Masters answer would be, but at 2nd geup you ought to be able to come up with it yourself. I'm prodding you to think about it...
Well, I do know that I have to get better at the basics of what I already know, learn the self defenses and one steps better.....basically, I need to improve everything that I have learned up until this point, but don't I have to do that at every rank?

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You really shouldn't need to ask. You ought to know. You might not be able to predict your exact score, but you ought to be able to tell pretty close. If you're not sure that you're going to pass, maybe you're testing too soon.

This is my experience as well. In all gup testing, you are not told that you passed, per-say, but you ARE told if you did not. So it's passing by omission. All dan ranks are announced right after their test as to whether they have passed or not.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like you have an "old school" teacher. Many people devalue this as it seems this mentality holds little value for others or that it is intellectualized away.

Don't worry about it. Just go back and keep training. You'll know soon enough one way or another - in the meantime and regardless, you need to keep training, improving, etcetera. I guess this won't be the most popular viewpoint, but that's just me.

And please don't read this reply thinking I am telling you to be a martial doormat - keep your integrity and don't be taken advantage of, but in the spirit of warriorship, just keep training ... that, after all, SHOULD BE your focus, not what's on your hips or your tips.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know of some schools that wait until the next week to tell a student they passed. It's supposed to be another test in of itself, teaching patience and self-control.

Not my cup of tea though. We announce the results right away. It's an opportunity for the students to enjoy some deserved accolades and friends and family can take pictures, etc. Why take that away from the students? In the end, enjoyment should be a big reason why we train.

To the OP, don't stress about it. While this practice is an unusual one, if you like your school and see value in your training, just go with it. I'm sure all schools do something that others might find quirky or odd.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, if no one is told their results at the test it makes sense depending on the context. Humility and face-saving for one.

But being discouraged about enquiring about the results later...if you don't mind my asking...are you training under an old-school Korean...or outside of the USA?

In my school, you can't even ask when you are going to test. You just train, and train and train. And one day you're told, 'Oh...the next time you show up wear a brown belt.' And then you keep training and training until one day you show up at the dojo and the headmaster has 'dropped in' from Cuba...

Hi all,

Thank you!

OP
K

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You know, if no one is told their results at the test it makes sense depending on the context. Humility and face-saving for one.

But being discouraged about enquiring about the results later...if you don't mind my asking...are you training under an old-school Korean...or outside of the USA?

In my school, you can't even ask when you are going to test. You just train, and train and train. And one day you're told, 'Oh...the next time you show up wear a brown belt.' And then you keep training and training until one day you show up at the dojo and the headmaster has 'dropped in' from Cuba...

I guess he could be considered "old school" His master was "straight off the boat" from Korea.....barely spoke English. So maybe that is just an old style type of discipline who knows? It's not that big of a deal, it is what it is and it is only a belt. I saw a saying one time that said "A belt only covers 2 inches of your ***........you better have the skills and knowledge to protect the rest of it."

My reason for asking was just to see if there was some way to curb my appetite to see if I passed or not. :)

Latest Discussions