Obsession with Glocks

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't understand what the OP's problem is, some people prefer a particular make of weapon, so what does that mean, other than they prefer a particular brand of weapon, the same can be said of cars, mobile phones, washing machines, shoes, clothes even. We have a choice of many brands for many things, we use our choices as consumers as we see fit. We have particular choices over what authors we read, what television programmes we watch, what sports we do or don't do, we have choices, that's good not bad. That some brands of anything are more popular than others is not a bad thing. I don't think people, on here at least, chose what weapon they want by sticking a pin in the pages of gun publications and buying whatever it hits. They make choices based on what they can afford, what they want in a weapon, what they find works for them, that one particular brand is the most popular choice ( if it in fact is) means most likely that company has done it's market research and provided something that many customers want.
Going along the 'what if' trail is a fruitless one, think about likely scenarios yes but restrict it to likely ones don't go off on 'what if' fantasies.

I don't have any problem. You are making a straw man argument. If somebody wants to restrict themselves to only using Glocks good for them. I know of this guy who not only restricts himself to Glocks but specifically to Glock 19s. I don't hold it against him. As I said in an earlier post, this is just an observation. I am only stating my position as to why I wouldn't do that.

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd suggest that a person become expert with one gun vs worrying about becoming familiar with many. Know how to operate a revolver and a semi-auto, thats it. I wouldn't worry about what brands.

"Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!"

How about becoming an expert with one gun and then becoming an expert with many guns. Years back I did equestrian and on the weekends, when we had class, each weekend you would ride a different horse. Why? Because every horse is different and by learning how to handle different horses you become a better rider. Same thing with cars, every car handles differently and you become a better driver by being able to operate different cars. That's what I was taught when I took driving lessons. You do have your own car which you drive on a regular basis and become really good with but you are still able to drive other cars safely and efficiently. Just like horses and cars every gun handles differently. Sure you might have a primary gun and that you can master but it doesn't hurt to become good with other guns too. Especially considering the fact that someday you might switch your primary weapon for whatever reason. Also, some people, and lots of police officers as a matter of fact, carry a backup weapon in addition to their primary sidearm. I would recommend becoming an expert with your main weapon and to keep training with it but then becoming good with other weapons, but that is just my recommendation you can take it or leave it.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
In what respect though. How many times in a day or night do you need to have to actually to wrestle a gun of someone. It is just common sense to be familiar with a handgun surely. In the same way it is to be with a car so when it breaks down, you may be able to stop the need for a recovery vehicle. Just out of curiosity, how many hours do you spend on the X-Box or PS?

Might I ask what is your background with firearms? I've taken multiple classes at different places so I know what Im talking about. Some of the classes I've taken are all day where you spend 8 hours a day on the range in addition to 1 or 2 hours in the classroom and you shoot over 100 rounds a day. And I don't spend that much time on the X-Box or the PS, I spend much more time on the internet on different sites and on forums such as this one.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have any problem. You are making a straw man argument. If somebody wants to restrict themselves to only using Glocks good for them. I know of this guy who not only restricts himself to Glocks but specifically to Glock 19s. I don't hold it against him. As I said in an earlier post, this is just an observation. I am only stating my position as to why I wouldn't do that.

I'm not making any argument at all, I just don't see why you are going on and on about people preferring one brand over others. Why do we need to know, why would we want to know your position over things like this? You bring up a random subject, harp on about it then get peeved because we don't attach the same importance to your 'position' on things as you do.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might I ask what is your background with firearms? I've taken multiple classes at different places so I know what Im talking about. Some of the classes I've taken are all day where you spend 8 hours a day on the range in addition to 1 or 2 hours in the classroom and you shoot over 100 rounds a day. And I don't spend that much time on the X-Box or the PS, I spend much more time on the internet on different sites and on forums such as this one.

To answer the question, nothing more than a few different air rifles, and a bit of archery and crossbow. Although the latter oft. But there you go again. I've this, I've that. I know someone this or that etc etc. Some of the classes maybe all day, but still you do not proffer any proof on anything. If I said I had a MG42 replica, to the forum a certain amount of leeway has to be given, because nobody really knows. I don't believe you simply put.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not making any argument at all, I just don't see why you are going on and on about people preferring one brand over others. Why do we need to know, why would we want to know your position over things like this? You bring up a random subject, harp on about it then get peeved because we don't attach the same importance to your 'position' on things as you do.

May as well put Captain Kirk in there somewhere.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was talking about in the USA I didn't think it was used as a military sidearm although I wasn't sure about other countries, but if you say it is than I stand corrected.
It was DESIGNED to fulfill an Austrian Army procurement contest. That's part of why it takes no special tools to do a detail strip. The hole in the middle of the old Glock "tupperware" box? That was so that they could be stacked on a rod and secured with a padlock. It wouldn't have taken you more than a few seconds to do an internet search to learn this...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lets say that for whatever reason you don't have access to your primary weapon and you have to use a backup gun? Maybe you have to use a friend's gun or even a gun that you managed to wrestle off a bad guy. If you're not familiar with the gun than you're in trouble. That's why I think its a good idea to be well rounded and familiar with all sorts of different guns. Also, it gives you more to choose from when picking out a gun for yourself.
You know what I'm going to do with a gun I took off a bad guy? Secure it. I damn sure ain't gonna try and shoot it. God only knows if it's loaded, if it's in proper working order... If we're still fighing, and I take the gun from him -- I probably am no longer justified in using lethal force. So, I only need to know enough about other guns to make them safe.

If we're in a gun fight, and I want to use my partner's gun? He's probably going to be less than willing to share since he's likely using it.

And, if I'm going for my own backup weapon -- I damn well better be familiar with it!

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You bring up a random subject, harp on about it then get peeved because we don't attach the same importance to your 'position' on things as you do.

Im not peeved, I never was. I just want to see other people's viewpoints on Glock obsession, which some people have posted good responses.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was DESIGNED to fulfill an Austrian Army procurement contest. That's part of why it takes no special tools to do a detail strip. The hole in the middle of the old Glock "tupperware" box? That was so that they could be stacked on a rod and secured with a padlock. It wouldn't have taken you more than a few seconds to do an internet search to learn this...

Than maybe they should've used it as the standard sidearm for the Army instead of the Beretta A1 which can be a bit complicated to use, just a thought.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know what I'm going to do with a gun I took off a bad guy? Secure it. I damn sure ain't gonna try and shoot it. God only knows if it's loaded, if it's in proper working order... If we're still fighing, and I take the gun from him -- I probably am no longer justified in using lethal force. So, I only need to know enough about other guns to make them safe.
What if the bad guy has friends with him? Or what if, after being disarmed, he pulls out another weapon?

If we're in a gun fight, and I want to use my partner's gun? He's probably going to be less than willing to share since he's likely using it.
What if he's out of commission?

And, if I'm going for my own backup weapon -- I damn well better be familiar with it!

That's another reason to be good with multiple weapons, because I would think your backup weapon wouldn't be the same kind as your primary sidearm.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Really. Very interesting there. Shall do some reading :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not peeved, I never was. I just want to see other people's viewpoints on Glock obsession, which some people have posted good responses.

I don't think anyone has agreed with you that it's an 'obsession' though. You haven't given any evidence that it is.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having looked at the Glock company it seems it's less that it is an obsession with Americans rather it's clever promotion and advertising by the company. (I think there's a vague insult in there somewhere saying that Americans are 'obsessed with Glocks) There does seem to be an interesting story behind all of the popularity however. I don't know what Americans think of it all though.
Glock s Secret Path to Profits - Businessweek

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What if the bad guy has friends with him? Or what if, after being disarmed, he pulls out another weapon?

What if he's out of commission?

That's another reason to be good with multiple weapons, because I would think your backup weapon wouldn't be the same kind as your primary sidearm.
Forgive some bluntness.

You might note I said "probably no longer justified" not absolutely. Factors such as other assailants, continued aggression, injuries all go into that equation. But I still have a hell of a time figuring out why I'd rely upon an unknown weapon, in unknown condition. The damn thing could be an Airsoft or the like for all I know... I worked a attempted robbery once where the crook pistol whipped his intended victim when the victim resisted. The pistol literally fell apart, and we recovered most of it. No ammo -- and no firing pin!

The rest of it? Pretty much fantasy land. If my partner goes down, I might use has magazines -- but I have my own gun. And, being a fan of Glocks for professional carry -- there's a really good chance a backup I carry might just be a Glock, too. Especially because the full size mags for Glocks fit in the baby Glocks.

Latest Discussions