NY state knife laws

karatekid3681989

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey I've been training FMA along with a multitude of other martial arts for about 13 years now. Within that training I picked up guidance under Sayoc Kali as knife training. I was curious about the knife laws about carrying knives in public in New York State, or even on the federal level.

Unfortunately, everything I found online was in convoluted legal language. Can anyone tell me, simply, what the laws are for carrying blades on you?

Thanks,
Tanay

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For legal advice, find a well-qualified defense attorney licensed to practice in NYS. Your best bet would be to find one with an interest in firearms laws and other aspects of personal protection.

Many offer low-cost or no-cost consultations.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, everything I found online was in convoluted legal language. Can anyone tell me, simply, what the laws are for carrying blades on you?

Thanks,
Tanay

Unfortunately, knife laws are never simple and straightforward. If you ask 6 cops in any given town/city if a particular knife is legal you'll probably get half a dozen different answers. I'm not just talking about NYC, it's the same all over the country. At seminars from California to NYC, I've asked LEOs about the legality of carrying a Spyderco or CRKT folder and it's amazing how varied and confusing the answers have been.

I still choose to carry but I've had to accept the fact that should I be forced to use a knife for self-defense, the spotlight will be on me as much as on my attacker.

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, knife laws are never simple and straightforward. If you ask 6 cops in any given town/city if a particular knife is legal you'll probably get half a dozen different answers. I'm not just talking about NYC, it's the same all over the country. At seminars from California to NYC, I've asked LEOs about the legality of carrying a Spyderco or CRKT folder and it's amazing how varied and confusing the answers have been.

I still choose to carry but I've had to accept the fact that should I be forced to use a knife for self-defense, the spotlight will be on me as much as on my attacker.

Very True!

The real problem is that if you are carring it "for defense" then it is often construed automatically as a "weapon." So even if it is a legal blade length and legal blade type, because you carry it with the intention of self-defense, it is now a concealed weapon.

Scary and ridiculous!

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Very True!

The real problem is that if you are carring it "for defense" then it is often construed automatically as a "weapon." So even if it is a legal blade length and legal blade type, because you carry it with the intention of self-defense, it is now a concealed weapon.

Scary and ridiculous!

Who says that you're carrying for SD??? YOU are the only one that can shoot yourself in the foot on that one. Don't sell yourself out!

Myself, I used to carry either a 5" or 6" Cold Steel Voyager as an EDC. Now I carry a CS Recon1 or sometimes a Ti-Lite. I also carry a Victorinox SwissTool for utility, but my go-to is 90% of the time a Recon 1.

Now, if some knucklehead suffers an error in soft target selection, and he fits the criteria, he's going to be in trouble. "Good thing I had that nice sharp knife, your honor!"

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

A knife is lethal force. Anytime you defend yourself, most especially with lethal force, you will find your actions closely scrutinized.

That's why I strongly encourage everyone to learn the basic issues of self defense law.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A knife is lethal force. Anytime you defend yourself, most especially with lethal force, you will find your actions closely scrutinized.

That's why I strongly encourage everyone to learn the basic issues of self defense law.

Always good to be informed of self defense laws.

If a woman hits an attacker with her purse, by legal definition, the purse is now a weapon. Let's say she has a kubotan and pops him in the temple and kills him. Given identical circumstances, same attacker, same location, if I use the most innocuous pocket knife imaginable, I'm still going to be viewed differently.

Anything used in a lethal manner is a lethal weapon whether it's a 2x4 or a Bic pen. The problem is that a knife is seen by the average public and LE as something only bad guys use. Just the way it is.