Notebooks

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya all.

Does anyone keep a note book for forms? Just wondering. I'm thinking about trying the notbook thing to write down the techniques in each form I learn in TKD.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what my notebook contains -- descriptions of the moves in the forms I've been taught. I have almost nothing in the way of background, history, basic stances, punches, kicks, etc. Well, there are a few handouts we got back in the fall. But then again, I have a book with the basic techniques information that I've annotated with my own notes from class. My notes are pretty much entirely descriptions of how to do forms. Writing down the moves helps me remember them, so I try to keep up with it. Sometimes I get a little behind and have to write two or three sets of new moves at once, but I do try to avoid that. I try to make them detailed enough to be able to reproduce the moves from the descriptions, but I do assume some basic knowledge so that I don't have to describe absolutely everything.

OP
B

bscastro

When I first started martial arts, in TKD and Kali (two different schools), I kept copious notes on every detail. Then about 2-3 years in, I stopped taking as profuse notes, as I figured I would just "absorb" the lessons and eventually hit the same material again.

However, recently (last year or so), I have started keeping a notebook again. I have a spiralbound (actually, a couple but I just use which happens to be closest), and then I transfer (sometimes) my notes to the computer. I also kept a log of my workouts. However, my computer has recently died, so I have been reduced to keeping notes in my notebooks.

I used to get really frustrated if I missed something in my notebook, but now I use it much more casually. If i think of something neat, I write it down. If I forget to write down something, I don't make such a big deal as I used to. However, I try to get the proper terminology down.

Bryan

Latest Discussions