Not to stir the pot, but...

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just a question because I'm kind of curious. Does anyone know why BJJ is listed here under "competitive arts" while Judo and TKD are not?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because we don't have a section for Brazilian arts, but do for JMA and KMA.

OP
allenjp

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Because we don't have a section for Brazilian arts, but do for JMA and KMA.

Not that it offends me, but wouldn't Brazil be part of the western world?

It seems it might be appropriate to include it under western arts. I dunno, I guess it really doesn't matter, but there are A LOT of people who study BJJ without any intention of competing, or interest in the sport side of it.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score

geographically, yes, brazil is part of the western world. but when historians, anthropologists, etc say "western" they are usually refering to europe & most of north american, i.e., predominately white societies. between bjj, caporiea (i can never spell that), and lute livre you could argue for a latin martial arts section, but i think it would be splitting hairs. bjj has to go somewhere, & it is the fastest growing competiteve martial art, perhaps second to mma.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just a question because I'm kind of curious. Does anyone know why BJJ is listed here under "competitive arts" while Judo and TKD are not?
I thought this was a little funny, too, but chalked it up to the close association that BJJ has with MMA.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of the 3 TKD gets the most discussion, with Judo and BJJ much quieter. If either were as active as IKD, we'd reorganize things a bit.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's right. That would be me. I love a good ground game.

It seems it might be appropriate to include it under western arts. I dunno, I guess it really doesn't matter, but there are A LOT of people who study BJJ without any intention of competing, or interest in the sport side of it.

LordOfWu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'll throw my completely unqualified and probably wrong opinion in here, but in a sense I like it because bjj takes a different approach than most TMA in promotion. Unlike TKD or Kenpo (the two I am familiar with so I'll stick to those) bjj does not in general test and promote students based on learning specific techniques in a curriculum. Rather promotion is primarily based on your performance against live and resisting opponents, and many bjj schools promote and even rely on comptetitions both inside and outside their schools to help them determine if students are effectively able to perform and use the techniques they know.

I don't so much feel (for me at least) that it's association with MMA makes it a competetive style as much as the style itself. Obviously I'm so new here I can't say if any of this is why it was placed in that category, but in my mind I'm OK with it.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even if you don't compete, the training is intrinsically competitive.

I don't think its placement matters, it is what it is and what general heading it falls under isn't really relevant IMO.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've never seen how competitive Judo is. (although I've watched a practice, & been almost kicked in the balls by a 6th degree black belt. Even though he told me to back up & I was backed up in the position he told me too. Funny story for everybody else.) I had toe prints on my inner thigh for two weeks. There is a lesson in there to take a position out of the way as to not get hit by accident.

But BJJ from what I've seen is always working against somebody so that is about as competitive as you're going to get so I feel its placed correctly.

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
But BJJ from what I've seen is always working against somebody so that is about as competitive as you're going to get so I feel its placed correctly.

BJJ is the only art ive really seen where you can spar with your opponent 100%, everything is allowed and all moves, no pulling punches, you can use all your strength and technique, so yes I think its not only competitive I think its one of the most consistently competitive arts there is, if not THE