Not the Best of PR for the Police

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that in that case, their abuse of their position as cops was central to the story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Maybe Im missing the abuse part? Calling someone bad names? Ill go back and re-read the story I admit I only glanced over it. But All I saw was a drunk say "stay out of Bellevue and call him names. Shoot that happens to me every day "You better stay out of my neighborhood you &^&%**$##&&^((" These guys paid ALOT for foul language.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everyone deserves off-time, but the people authorized to arrest me should exceed the average maturity level of my neighbors.
Dont disagree and this guy in the story will get punished much harsher then if your neighbor did the same thing at a bar with a woman.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why are a cops actions half the nation away from me any sort of stain on me or my co-workers?

I work for a local municipality....a Town. If a town garbageman in Texas commits a crime are the Garbagemen in my Town somehow "stained"? We are responsible for what we do, not for what the officers next door do.

We don't work for the same employers...we are not a national police force. I don't get the whole "police are...." mentality when stuff like this happens. Maybe the police THERE have issues.

PS- "bunch of public pressure"? The cops on scene sorted things out and arrested the off duty.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE

A bad garbage man can't **** with me the way a bad LEO can. I think that's why people expect a higher standard from cops. They are afraid of "bad" cops not garbage men. A garbage man doesent have the power.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why are a cops actions half the nation away from me any sort of stain on me or my co-workers?

I work for a local municipality....a Town. If a town garbageman in Texas commits a crime are the Garbagemen in my Town somehow "stained"? We are responsible for what we do, not for what the officers next door do.

We don't work for the same employers...we are not a national police force. I don't get the whole "police are...." mentality when stuff like this happens. Maybe the police THERE have issues.

PS- "bunch of public pressure"? The cops on scene sorted things out and arrested the off duty.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE

A bad garbage man can't **** with me the way a bad LEO can. I think that's why people expect a higher standard from cops. They are afraid of "bad" cops not garbage men. A garbage man doesent have the power.

You miss the point....im not comparing jobs, im comparing attitudes towards each as a group. Cops are no more a homogeneous group than any other profession. Why is it that ALL "cops get a black eye" whenever one thousands of miles away ****s up? Not all garbagemen would be tarnished if one in Kalamazoo does something ******.

Why do people seem to act like they think we work for one large police department when they talk about "cops"?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Maybe Im missing the abuse part? Calling someone bad names? Ill go back and re-read the story I admit I only glanced over it. But All I saw was a drunk say "stay out of Bellevue and call him names. Shoot that happens to me every day "You better stay out of my neighborhood you &^&%**$##&&^((" These guys paid ALOT for foul language.
It may not be in the article I linked. A more detailed account below. As they left, they said to the dad who reported their belligerent behavior to the ushers:
"I hope you're proud of yourself because you got two of Bellevue's finest" kicked out and "better watch your *** if you come to Bellevue."
Letting him know they were cops immediately before telling him to stay out of Bellevue is crossing a line. Don't you think?

http://mynorthwest.com/646/2145968/...or-after-getting-drunk-on-Pink-Panty-Droppers

It was pretty bad and got a lot of negative attention in the Seattle area on the news and local talk radio shows.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You miss the point....im not comparing jobs, im comparing attitudes towards each as a group. Cops are no more a homogeneous group than any other profession. Why is it that ALL "cops get a black eye" whenever one thousands of miles away ****s up? Not all garbagemen would be tarnished if one in Kalamazoo does something ******.

I may be wrong, but I don't think they do.

I did notice as I looked for more information on the Bellevue cops incident that at least the Bellevue PD has a code of ethics that includes the following:

Employees, whether on-duty or off will not commit any act intended to bring reproach or discredit upon the department or City of Bellevue.I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all.
I will at all times be civil and courteous to the public and to one another.
It seems reasonable and appropriate to me. Do you guys have something similar?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most PDs will have some sort of "conduct unbecoming" section in their codes of conduct.

We have a code of conduct and a code of ethics at our PD.

However violations of this code don't automatically mean termination. Only that some sort of discipline could be administered.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It may not be in the article I linked. A more detailed account below. As they left, they said to the dad who reported their belligerent behavior to the ushers: Letting him know they were cops immediately before telling him to stay out of Bellevue is crossing a line. Don't you think?

http://mynorthwest.com/646/2145968/...or-after-getting-drunk-on-Pink-Panty-Droppers

It was pretty bad and got a lot of negative attention in the Seattle area on the news and local talk radio shows.
So basically people were pissed because a cop was rude? If it was even the cop that said it. According to the investigation you posted they blamed a female detective and that was reversed and it was a public works worker that said it.

Seems like a stretch to me. Do they even know who this dad is? So how are they going to retaliate against "some guy" they saw in a drunkin stupor at a football game. Cops were rude is the gist of the story. They were punished severely esp the guy that was demoted he will loose money for the rest of his life since that will no doubt effect his retirement.

Latest Discussions