Not again... please make these people go away

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All (well deserved) mockery aside, I'm curious what those students experience.

zDom said:
I would hazard to guess they were feeling an aversion to making bodily contact with their master.

Many of us (and certainly Xue) have worked with chi enough to experience some weird phenomena. I don't believe what's on that film was really some sort of chi voodoo magic, but the students had to feel something. Otherwise they wouldn't have fallen down.

To what do we attribute this? Gullibility? Cynical manipulation? A desire to belive? Mass hysteria?

... I'd have to agree with zDom on his reply (above)... It's a mystery why so many fall for this I mean you'd want to go over there yourself and just have fun with the guy... you charge him... he makes a gesture towards you... then you ... drop dead of a (fake) heart attack (he thinks... oh crap I killed him)... or even better... break into a song and dance routine on the spot; "Overture, dim the lights, this is it, the night of nights... " (Bugs & Daffy song)...

or even more realistically... stand there and hold your hands out... :idunno: and say... "uhh, now what?" ... SOMETHING to make his students realize they'd been suckered.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
you mean this guy in Japan?

Man. That was really sad and really hard to watch. Can you imagine how stupid you'd feel if you studied and studied and mastered this "martial art," just to have some joe shmo MAist come along and completely decimate it? I feel terrible for the students of these "martial arts."

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
All (well deserved) mockery aside, I'm curious what those students experience.

Many of us (and certainly Xue) have worked with chi enough to experience some weird phenomena. I don't believe what's on that film was really some sort of chi voodoo magic, but the students had to feel something. Otherwise they wouldn't have fallen down.

To what do we attribute this? Gullibility? Cynical manipulation? A desire to belive? Mass hysteria?

Gullibility, desire to believe, taking advantage of those easily lead, hero worship, etc.

Any number of things but I do not believe that this guy can do what he has his students believing he can do. The guy in Japan had the same type of followers that all fell down and on occasion he had them do little controlled dances with his great powers of Qi but he was a fake. Most unfortunately for him a fake that started believing he could actually do it and it got him hurt. But it is not the guy in Japan or this guy I’m worried about it is their students that go and pay for this HIGH level training and one day find themselves in a situation where they try and use it to protect themselves and they get hurt or worse.

I have had one of my teachers demonstrate what he called projecting qi but it was for all intensive purposes a warm feeling that could be attributed to proximity and just normal body temperature.

My Taiji sifu once directed my force past him and I ended up 6 feet past him and to this day I do not know how I got from point a to point b but it was most certainly done with contact, very light contact with an incredible sensitivity to the direction of my force, but still there was contact.

Internally I tend to believe in Qi but to project it for self defense... nope, I do not buy it.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am waiting to see a serial "mole" sneak into as many of these schools as he can and play along until a big media event, then just embarrass the crap out of one of these masters by knocking him on his can in front of the cameras. See how many he can do.

Id pay to see that.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those guys staggering about waving their arms remind me of excited chickens in the henhouse. People acting like that do not really want to learn martial arts, they just need their apetites for mysticism, costumes (belts with those uniforms?), being part of a special comunity etc sated. In short, a support group.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree with you Cirdan, that they are in it for the mysticism and I believe also the feeling that they are learning something that no one else is tapping into. Wouldn't we all like to find something that used no contact whatsoever and decimated our attackers without the need for weapons? Unfortunately I can't see that it exists, strength of will along with chi/ki isn't going to throw anyone across the room without them truly believing in it, and that's where the danger lies, only a true believer will be affected.

So really it's a course in how to attack or defend against anyone who trains with you, it's only effective in self defence if someone is scared of you to start with and believes you are "magical".

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't see that it exists, strength of will along with chi/ki isn't going to throw anyone across the room without them truly believing in it, and that's where the danger lies, only a true believer will be affected.

So really it's a course in how to attack or defend against anyone who trains with you, it's only effective in self defence if someone is scared of you to start with and believes you are "magical".

Reminds me of how the Souix thought their "magical breastplates" made of bone would stop the whitemans' thunderstick......they REALLY believed it....Goes to show that belief no matter how strong isn't the end all....there better be something more tangible (skill sets) to back it up...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goes to show that belief no matter how strong isn't the end all....there better be something more tangible (skill sets) to back it up...

That's a salient point there.

I have experienced for myself the way that the mental conditioning ki represents can allow you to surpass your subconsciously imposed limits. Such useage tho' is a universe away from my being able to break boards or stop an assailant via my force of will alone :eek:.

To stretch the parameters of the thread a touch, part of iaido is the development of fine sensitivity to your surroundings and the intent of others. That in itself seems mystical i.e. that you can divine that a person is about to attack before they actually show any outward signs that they're going to do so. But that is not what you're doing, you are reading a number of very small signifiers that everyone gives away but you do so below the level of conscious perception - that's why you say that you 'sense' it rather than 'see' it.

I can well believe that some of these fellows students develop such sensitivity and thus 'feel' the Masters arcane power emissions (ROFL) - that's extended situational awareness tho' rather than the 'Force'.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am waiting to see a serial "mole" sneak into as many of these schools as he can and play along until a big media event, then just embarrass the crap out of one of these masters by knocking him on his can in front of the cameras. See how many he can do.

Id pay to see that.

That's funny. I was thinking about this thread last night and came up with the same idea. Even though it would be mean, it would demonstrate to the students that these guys aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hands up people - I'll take a waiting list ;)

That would be funny and better still, it'd expose these people. I am not saying they don't have anything useful to teach, but it should be part of something else, not a be all and end all.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well if any of you go trough with the mole plan, please give the master a wedgie in public while you have the chanse. For his own good. :lol2:

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I came across this on another site and all I can say is

You have GOT to see this.

Now, I don't know very much about taichi, but couldn't projecting that much ki/psychic force with locked elbows be hard on the elbow joints? :)

Thank goodness he was willing to use his Healing Powers to help his defeated opponent after the match!

This could be the Next Big Thing! Watch out, UFC! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is some of the worst stuff I have seen. I'd be happy to front him in a demo

Cheers
Sammy:asian:

Kythkyn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So... all I have to do is make constipated sounds at people as they rush me and I too will be a master? Cool, that'll save me a few years of training, no?

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting that this BS doesn't make it over this side of the pond....Imagine going into any city in the US and trying to pull off this stuff....But then again look at some of the TV shows that have the Religious Healers......I guess it COULD make an impact here........

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Was he supposed to be throwing people with the power of Chi? I think I saw that on Stargate once.

Latest Discussions