Non-martial training in martial arts

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i see religious zealots :wideyed: ,,,,,cross fit, vegan's, climate change, flat earth, big foot, weight lifting, running, wheat allergies, its endless. its the human condition of tribalism. its evolutionary biology. everyone has their tribe.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as an aside, whilst in hospital a couple of tears ago, i git friendly with a Muslim lad, who was sweet and kind and generous, he couldnt however stop himself from telling me that taking the Islamic faith would cure very nearly all problems.

i went as far as a attending a few mosques with him, where the most striking feature was what a good work out the Islamic prayer ceremony was, no wonder they felt good after prayer, i took up the exercise and didn't bother with the religion
Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'm thinking about. It's well intentioned, and not really much zealotry in the recommendation. An overstated claim - as you said, something pretty common in MA.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was laughing at your xchanges with tez, as you have exactly the same" take any view but my own as a personal attack posting style.

you need to differentiate, between someone that has a view over than yours and some one attacking you personality.
further more, you need to split people talking in general terms and people attributing a specific view to you
Your discussion style does tend to come across as more than a little dismissive at times, Jobo.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the. Scientific evidence is irrelevant, with or with out scientific evidence of health benefits, you may very well be taking about joining a cult.

cults generaly have some benefits or no one would join in then. First place.
Suggesting something for health benefits, with scientific evidence that it provides health benefits, has nothing to do with cults. It could be a cult being suggested, or it might be a dumbbell workout routine. In both cases, the scientific evidence is patently relevant.

The comparison to cult is your own introduction to the conversation, and isn't relevant to the point.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i see religious zealots :wideyed: ,,,,,cross fit, vegan's, climate change, flat earth, big foot, weight lifting, running, wheat allergies, its endless. its the human condition of tribalism. its evolutionary biology. everyone has their tribe.
In my day, I've been zealous about a few things. I also played Simon Zealotes in Jesus Christ Superstar in college. Type casting, I tell you.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your discussion style does tend to come across as more than a little dismissive at times, Jobo.
I'm being very patient on the. Grounds she is your lady, my views are my own and not a personal attack on her, perhaps you could have xplain that over croissants and wine

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm being very patient on the. Grounds she is your lady, my views are my own and not a personal attack on her, perhaps you could have xplain that over croissants and wine
Ah, she doesn't need any extra patience, man. She'll fight back when she feels the need and drop it when she's done. She's not as fond of arguments as I am, so you probably won't have as many long threads with her.

OP
AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oooh, great! Hey, @gpseymour , I guess I'm your property now! So, is it ok if I don't worry my pretty little head with this anymore? You let me know right after I go paint my nails fuchsia pink.

OP
AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
While the ignorant git stews in his own juices... on the subject of yoga... Does anyone have any recommendation how to smooth out the chataranga when you have a very short torso, arms and legs? You know, to avoid prematurely floomping onto your stomach? I ALMOST have it - ALMOST. I finally got my bicep strength to where I can bring my elbows in slowly and slide forward. But my ending is still too bumpy. I am trying to get to a point where I can go from child's pose into cobra via chataranga without touching the floor with my belly at all. Any advice?

Also, for obstacle course cross-training purposes, I have the damndest time climbing tall obstacles with widely spaced rungs. In most cases, they are spaced for people of normal height - maybe even to challenge them a little. But getting my leg high enough (bad hips) to get up that very first rung is usually rather purgatorial. I've been working on my chin-ups to help myself pull up with my arms, and people at these events are always very helpful, so I often get a hand up, but I would still like to figure out how to get on these things myself. Any thoughts?

OP
AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
no its irrelevant to my point, not irrelevant to the world in general, I'm generaly a fan of scientific evidence , unless its being presented selectivly by a religous zealot, Scientology uses " science" as well
I am not a religious zealot presenting scientific evidence (which I actually haven't seen before - but ok, whatever). I am a regular person who has experience in something and presents scientific evidence to support it. So, again, this comment is irrelevant.

OP
AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm here to give my views, if you want compliments speak to your husband, if your offended by my views, in fact it seems by any view but your own, then you need to look to yourself, and ask is someone calling yoga hockum REALLY worth getting hot and bothered about?
Yes, I am an opponent of ignorance. And when someone makes an ignorant statement - I call them on it. Too bad you expect to make ignorant statements and suffer no consequences. Again - that's kindergarten stuff. I don't think I got away with such silliness even when I was five, and I don't let other people get away with it either.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Suggesting something for health benefits, with scientific evidence that it provides health benefits, has nothing to do with cults. It could be a cult being suggested, or it might be a dumbbell workout routine. In both cases, the scientific evidence is patently relevant.

The comparison to cult is your own introduction to the conversation, and isn't relevant to the point.
no, but just because. It has science doesn't mean its nit a cult,all cults have scientific evidence of benefits

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
i think a lot of ma, has distinct cultish elements to it yes, if the health benefits always our way the psychological issues, is debatable

Have you been reading Larson's Book of the Cults? He describes MA as a cult. Reading it, it sounds like he is talking about Aikido, but he doesn't specifically name any MA, just that all martial arts are cults. As it happens, I don't agree.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
no, but just because. It has science doesn't mean its nit a cult,all cults have scientific evidence of benefits

Amazing. I had no idea you were so knowledgeable in all cults. Still, I don't think I can agree with you. The few I know anything about mostly stick to faith in their beliefs. You did mention the Scientologists above. I have to admit I know very little about them.

But I didn't like L. Ron Hubbard as a writer of science fiction. I am sure I wouldn't have liked his writings on a self-made religion. But that is just me. Any Scientologist is free to disagree for reasons of their own.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you been reading Larson's Book of the Cults? He describes MA as a cult. Reading it, it sounds like he is talking about Aikido, but he doesn't specifically name any MA, just that all martial arts are cults. As it happens, I don't agree.
no i don't think its,style dependent, but yes, there are elements of cult about ma, in general and some in particular,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Amazing. I had no idea you were so knowledgeable in all cults. Still, I don't think I can agree with you. The few I know anything about mostly stick to faith in their beliefs. You did mention the Scientologists above. I have to admit I know very little about them.

But I didn't like L. Ron Hubbard as a writer of science fiction. I am sure I wouldn't have liked his writings on a self-made religion. But that is just me. Any Scientologist is free to disagree for reasons of their own.
people join cults for a variety of benefits, it could be as simple as food and shelter, it could friendship or belonging, but by and large there has to be an advantage to joining, that's then traded off against the aims of the group

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no i don't think its,style dependent, but yes, there are elements of cult about ma, in general and some in particular,
I'll disagree with the "in general" part, and agree with the "in particular" part. There's a lot of areas of MA where there's not much cultishness to be found - no more than in any social group. I don't know if that would be the majority of it, but certainly a large portion.

Latest Discussions