Non-martial training in martial arts

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well if you dislike lifting weights you still could go the calisthenics route, working on harder variations like the one arm push up. But I highly suggest you put in some type of rowing movement to prevent imbalances, at least put in some Australian pull ups.
The archery engages a whole bunch of muscle groups throughout the back, shoulders, chest, and arms, and because I draw equally on both left and right sides, I am confident that there is a good deal of balance.

In addition, I practice my other weaponry on both sides as well, specifically for that purpose. Sword and saber done both left- and right-handed, spear and staff done on both sides, etc.

My interest in that aspect of training is in developing and maintaining reasonable fitness. I do not have any interest in sculpting and then maintaining a perfect physique.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Enough to counterbalance an overdeveloped/overly strong chest compared to your back?
it depends what you do with it, 5 lbs may be a bit light, but say 15lbs is plenty to cause. Muscle growth strengh increase

OP
AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yoga
Total Gym
and just started an aerobics workout that uses light weights
Drinking tea

Use to weight lift, but I am old and no longer that into lifting heavy weights these days
Isn't yoga fantastic? That is some SERIOUS work. People don't believe me, but I often sweat more in yoga than in my high intensity cardio classes.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn't yoga fantastic? That is some SERIOUS work. People don't believe me, but I often sweat more in yoga than in my high intensity cardio classes.
Hey look around the forum you'll see a thread of a yoga teacher beating her karate brown belt son in a sparring match lol

OP
AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
the son was about 12, the average old lady could fend him off
Jokes aside, it's against my religion to underestimate anyone - be it a 12-year old or a yoga instructor. My yoga instructor could definitely unleash a can of whoopa***. She is a former dancer and competitive athlete. Used to run marathons for fun - including Miami marathon in August. In additional to teaching yoga and functional fitness, she does mountain biking with her husband - also for fun. So, with a bit of training, I wouldn't put it past her to fold an assailant into a proper pretzel pose. :)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jokes aside, it's against my religion to underestimate anyone - be it a 12-year old or a yoga instructor. My yoga instructor could definitely unleash a can of whoopa***. She is a former dancer and competitive athlete. Used to run marathons for fun - including Miami marathon in August. In additional to teaching yoga and functional fitness, she does mountain biking with her husband - also for fun. So, with a bit of training, I wouldn't put it past her to fold an assailant into a proper pretzel pose. :)
well yes, fitness is a much over looked( on here) atributes to defence. A cross of yoga , dancing,mountain biking and running will make anyone a force to be reckoned with

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have started incorporating gentle yoga in the mornings, just sun salutation, some cat-cow and extended child's pose, just to help with stretching, mobility, and relaxation to help with my pelvic pain stuff as it's flaring up again... Reeeeally going through it slowly and breathing deeply throughout, gonna see how it goes.

That and have started the Karate Flexibility and Mobility program from sensei Jesse Enkamp, just twice a week, doing 3x locomotion and stationary exercises and progressing to the next three each week :)

OP
AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have started incorporating gentle yoga in the mornings, just sun salutation, some cat-cow and extended child's pose, just to help with stretching, mobility, and relaxation to help with my pelvic pain stuff as it's flaring up again... Reeeeally going through it slowly and breathing deeply throughout, gonna see how it goes.

That and have started the Karate Flexibility and Mobility program from sensei Jesse Enkamp, just twice a week, doing 3x locomotion and stationary exercises and progressing to the next three each week :)
When you feel up to it, try working in some bird-dogs into your routine - the best time is usually right after the cat-cows. They are great for core and for leveling out your hips.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When you feel up to it, try working in some bird-dogs into your routine - the best time is usually right after the cat-cows. They are great for core and for leveling out your hips.

Running was always my thing along with calisthenics. Weights aren't my thing, either.