No women allowed In this guys BJJ class

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@gpseymour I had a ton of respect for you until today.
i think you maybe taking this discussion far to seriously.

as a cogent adult you should be able to separate a person from their opinions and maintain your respect for them even if you fundamentally disagree with them over some point.

in my numerous interactions with gerry, ive found him to be mostly wrong about nearly everything.:):):) however i respect both him and his right to be wrong

this attitude of personal attacks on character rather than focusing on the point is what is wrong with our world in general and the forum in particular .people just seem to want an echo chamber where nobody disagrees with them, which makes the choice of a public forum with a range of views a bizarre choice of hang out ?

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i think you maybe taking this discussion far to seriously.

as a cogent adult you should be able to separate a person from their opinions and maintain your respect for them even if you fundamentally disagree with them over some point.

in my numerous interactions with gerry, ive found him to be mostly wrong about nearly everything.:):):) however i respect both him and his right to be wrong

this attitude of personal attacks on character rather than focusing on the point is what is wrong with our world in general and the forum in particular .people just seem to want an echo chamber where nobody disagrees with them, which makes the choice of a public forum with a range of views a bizarre choice of hang out ?

Supporting racism is something I take VERY seriously. That's not an opinion I can gloss over.

And I can't put him on ignore, because he's a moderator.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sigh haven’t looked at this thread in a while and see it’s gone from a martial arts discussion to some political petty sniping at each other

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Supporting racism is something I take VERY seriously.
well its your interpretation, which is then obviously a view you believe to be correct, attacking others who have a different view, doesn't make you more right or them less wrong.

it achieves precisely nothing, worse it indicates it a failure of your ability to articulate your point to the level that you persuade others to your point of view

its the first port of call for people who haven't thought through their view, to the point of being able to rest the views of others in a logical manner, so they immediately try to undermine the others view by calling them a bad person

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Supporting racism is something I take VERY seriously. That's not an opinion I can gloss over.

And I can't put him on ignore, because he's a moderator.
I believe you when you say it's important. So, then why aren't you more curious about your own unconscious biases? Honestly, that doesn't make any sense to me at all. You're never going to grow if you aren't open to learning new things.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
well its your interpretation, which is then obviously a view you believe to be correct, attacking others who have a different view, doesn't make you more right or them less wrong.

it achieves precisely nothing, worse it indicates it a failure of your ability to articulate your point to the level that you persuade others to your point of view

its the first port of call for people who haven't thought through their view, to the point of being able to rest the views of others in a logical manner, so they immediately try to undermine the others view by calling them a bad person
You're a bad person. Did it work? Darn it, he's right!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sigh haven’t looked at this thread in a while and see it’s gone from a martial arts discussion to some political petty sniping at each other
Somebody woke up on the cranky side of the bed this morning. I recommend you get a cup of coffee and look up the definition of sniping. Because not looking at a thread in a while, dropping in to take a one line pot shot at the folks who have been discussing the topic(s) is pretty much it. Here's a handy tip for you, for next time. To avoid petty sniping, step one is to not do it yourself.

You're welcome!

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Roger Gracie shared this on his instagram account recently http://www.womenwhofight.co.uk/statement
Pretty much sums it up in my view
Can't believe we're still dealing with this kind of basic stuff in 2020
Well tbh if what was said about a false claim of sexual assault is true then I feel it’s absolutely justified. If it wasn’t true then the guys name was dragged through the mud because of a liar and I can absolutely understand him not wanting to teach women because of this

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well tbh if what was said about a false claim of sexual assault is true then I feel it’s absolutely justified. If it wasn’t true then the guys name was dragged through the mud because of a liar and I can absolutely understand him not wanting to teach women because of this
well i think it was sexual harassment, which is a far more difficult thing to define

on persons sexual harassment is another flirtation, some people push flirtation to the point of harnessing another, whilst being convinced they did no wrong, others find asking them the time of day, let alone paying them a compliment as being sexual harassment

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe you when you say it's important. So, then why aren't you more curious about your own unconscious biases? Honestly, that doesn't make any sense to me at all. You're never going to grow if you aren't open to learning new things.

I'm not the one promoting segregation in hospitals. You have no moral high ground here.

This thread was doomed from the start. At the very least, you're going to be talking about sexism. It's not a very long rabbit trail to the other isms.

Racism is bad. People supporting racism is bad. Segregation is racism.

I'm not even going to entertain this. If you support racist ideas like segregation, you get no respect, sympathy, or attempt to compromise from me. Unless you think I should value the opinions of racist people?

There are people in this country who are trying to set us back 80 years on race relations. We've come so far in recent history. Now we're at a point where people are pushing for segregation again. In no way am I the bad guy for saying segregation is bad. In no way am I the bad guy for calling out racists, or those that would enable racism.

This isn't even a subject that should be entertained. This should be squashed like a bug and never suggested again.

Imagine if I had said we should have white doctors that only treat white patients. You know what, let's take it a step further. Let's have white hospitals and black hospitals. Since those doctors won't be working together, we should have white medical schools and black medical schools. Since that works for med school, why not all the schools? School districts are based on where you live, so we should have white neighborhoods and black neighborhoods.

It's a slippery slope. And if we start with segregating doctors, it becomes very, very easy to forget that we're all part of the same human race. Why do we need different doctors if we're all the same?

I don't even know why I have to explain in 2020 why discrimination based on race is bad. I don't know why I have to explain that having black doctor's whose job is specifically to treat black people is discrimination based on race. This should be like explaining that running is faster than walking, or that breathing is harder underwater. These are things that should be ingrained in our culture after centuries of progression from colonial slavery to freedom and equality.

I shouldn't need any more than "racism is bad, segregation is racism, and this is segregation." Everyone who says otherwise is either ignorant or racist. I'm not at all sorry for calling them out on it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
well i think it was sexual harassment, which is a far more difficult thing to define

on persons sexual harassment is another flirtation, some people push flirtation to the point of harnessing another, whilst being convinced they did no wrong, others find asking them the time of day, let alone paying them a compliment as being sexual harassment
I don't know all of the particulars of the situation, only what has been shared in this thread. In the USA, though, "sexual harassment" is a workplace issue. While it can occur outside of work, I don't believe it can ever be unrelated to work. Doesn't mean she wasn't harassed, just that it's not a "sexual harassment" issue. Of course, that's by the by if she worked for the school and taught classes. People in the USA throw the term around a lot, like, "I was at the grocery store and the clerk sexually harassed me." That's not a thing.

And disclaimer, I am only talking about if this happened in the USA. I don't know the rules in other countries.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not the one promoting segregation in hospitals. You have no moral high ground here.

This thread was doomed from the start. At the very least, you're going to be talking about sexism. It's not a very long rabbit trail to the other isms.

I'm not even going to entertain this. If you support racist ideas like segregation, you get no respect, sympathy, or attempt to compromise from me. Unless you think I should value the opinions of racist people?

There are people in this country who are trying to set us back 80 years on race relations. We've come so far in recent history. Now we're at a point where people are pushing for segregation again. In no way am I the bad guy for saying segregation is bad. In no way am I the bad guy for calling out racists, or those that would enable racism.

This isn't even a subject that should be entertained. This should be squashed like a bug and never suggested again.

Imagine if I had said we should have white doctors that only treat white patients. You know what, let's take it a step further. Let's have white hospitals and black hospitals. Since those doctors won't be working together, we should have white medical schools and black medical schools. Since that works for med school, why not all the schools? School districts are based on where you live, so we should have white neighborhoods and black neighborhoods.

It's a slippery slope. And if we start with segregating doctors, it becomes very, very easy to forget that we're all part of the same human race. Why do we need different doctors if we're all the same?

I don't even know why I have to explain in 2020 why discrimination based on race is bad. I don't know why I have to explain that having black doctor's whose job is specifically to treat black people is discrimination based on race. This should be like explaining that running is faster than walking, or that breathing is harder underwater. These are things that should be ingrained in our culture after centuries of progression from colonial slavery to freedom and equality.

I shouldn't need any more than "racism is bad, segregation is racism, and this is segregation." Everyone who says otherwise is either ignorant or racist. I'm not at all sorry for calling them out on it.
I'm glad to hear you're staunchly opposed to racism. So, then why do you think black people should be forced to see white doctors? Why don't you support demands for hospitals to hire more black doctors specifically so that they can see black patients?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

well now youve decided to accuse me as supporting racism, it does seem to deefault mode of operation to divergent views

why cant you have a grown up conversation with out just try to label desenting voices as being racist

ive spent time in some of those dark corners of the internet, using logic against white supremacist, and you know what they did, when i demolished their logic, they accused me of racism, it really is the default position for half wits

we have reach a point in human evolution where the vast majority of people can agree that racism is wrong

what we cant currently do as a society is to agree what racism is and what to do about it, whilst nearly every body agrees that something should be done

so we have the ridiculous position of anti racists calling other anti racist, racists for disagreeing with them, and i wasnt even disagreeing with you on your main point, just disagreeing about the way you are conducting yourself

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know all of the particulars of the situation, only what has been shared in this thread. In the USA, though, "sexual harassment" is a workplace issue. While it can occur outside of work, I don't believe it can ever be unrelated to work. Doesn't mean she wasn't harassed, just that it's not a "sexual harassment" issue. Of course, that's by the by if she worked for the school and taught classes. People in the USA throw the term around a lot, like, "I was at the grocery store and the clerk sexually harassed me." That's not a thing.

And disclaimer, I am only talking about if this happened in the USA. I don't know the rules in other countries.
well if he was at work, its a workplace issue.

it doesnt have to be your place of work, just somebodies who is involved in it

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you're staunchly opposed to racism. So, then why do you think black people should be forced to see white doctors? Why don't you support demands for hospitals to hire more black doctors specifically so that they can see black patients?

If someone feels "forced" to see a white doctor, they're racist. I don't think we should pander to that. I'm not even going to entertain that as an acceptable request.

How would it sound if I said "I don't want to be forced to be served by black people. I only trust whites." That would be horrible.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well now youve decided to accuse me as supporting racism, it does seem to deefault mode of operation to divergent views

why cant you have a grown up conversation with out just try to label desenting voices as being racist

ive spent time in some of those dark corners of the internet, using logic against white supremacist, and you know what they did, when i demolished their logic, they accused me of racism, it really is the default position for half wits

we have reach a point in human evolution where the vast majority of people can agree that racism is wrong

what we cant currently do as a society is to agree what racism is and what to do about it, whilst nearly every body agrees that something should be done

so we have the ridiculous position of anti racists calling other anti racist, racists for disagreeing with them, and i wasnt even disagreeing with you on your main point, just disagreeing about the way you are conducting yourself

I've very clearly said I'm for equality. Others are for segregation. It's not very difficult to see the problem here.

I also highly doubt you destroyed anyone with logic, because I've yet to see you do that to anyone.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've very clearly said I'm for equality. Others are for segregation. It's not very difficult to see the problem here.

I also highly doubt you destroyed anyone with logic, because I've yet to see you do that to anyone.
you dont seem capable of any thought outside of well rehearsed rhetoric

we live in a very unfair society, its unfair to lot of people for lots of reasons, but mostly because its a capitalised society which are unfair by definition, however counties that have rejected capitalism seem to end up unfair as well, its maybe not a solvable problem

any attempt to make it less unfair for any particular demographic will have other demographics complaining that its now unfair for them

the UK police forces attempt to be more inclusive of gender race and sexual orientation has, meant its now accused of race, gender and sexual orientation discrimination for people who dont now fit the quota system

and of course it is unfair, but is it a better unfairness than the one it replaced,,, dont know, but at least they are trying