Nitpick, I wont take it personally, I promise.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This isnt the greatest demo out there, but one that I think was done better than most. It shows flank to inside control with resistance and explanation breakdown. Are there things that could have been done better? Sure, based on our personal preferences, but at least we get to see in this video the actions being performed in real time without having to imagine it. Nitpick away, lol.

Reactions: KPM

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good example of "getting the angle" very similar to what is done in TWC!

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting there's a lot of kenpo type movements in there that I recognise. It's good to work like your doing but I'd say you should also do proper weapon placement minus the power so you can put the right attack in those spaces. Not saying you don't just a point

OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting there's a lot of kenpo type movements in there that I recognise. It's good to work like your doing but I'd say you should also do proper weapon placement minus the power so you can put the right attack in those spaces. Not saying you don't just a point
Just for clairification this isn't a video of me, my branch or anyone I know. That being said I agree about the weapons, though I would not reduce power along with it. There are many traing devices that reduce risk of injury ,that can be bought or made, that allow for full throttle training.

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay, you asked me to nitpick. Happy to indulge.

Did you notice how widely the defender's feet get separated in the first onslaught. This severely limits his side to side mobility.
If you need to lunge to the side, bring both legs with you. You might need them.

Good training exercise, tho'.

OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, you asked me to nitpick. Happy to indulge.

Did you notice how widely the defender's feet get separated in the first onslaught. This severely limits his side to side mobility.
If you need to lunge to the side, bring both legs with you. You might need them.

Good training exercise, tho'.
I rewatched it because I didn't pick up on it the first time. Now I'm going to nitpick, it was a pefect missed opportunity to sweep the leg.

Great, now I have "Sweep the leg Johnny!" stuck in my head. :)

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
My 2c from watching the first 30 sec.

This is clearly a demo, the guy in the gear obviously has no intention of trying to hurt the person practicing, and sadly I think in doing so he is doing the "WC" guy a disservice.

There wasn't a lot of bridging work, just a general sense of rushing in. While that type of smothering tactic can work, it'll get you clobbered against a decent counterpuncher, or if the guy doesn't "give up" as you hit him.

The palm strikes in the beginning are also delivered at full extension, it's clear he's trying to not hurt the guy vs land a good strike.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
This isnt the greatest demo out there, but one that I think was done better than most. It shows flank to inside control with resistance and explanation breakdown. Are there things that could have been done better? Sure, based on our personal preferences, but at least we get to see in this video the actions being performed in real time without having to imagine it. Nitpick away, lol.

So I guess we know what to do if anyone in the street ever throws a lazy slow motion jab at us and leaves it hanging out there extended for a few seconds.

The more you know I guess..

OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So I guess we know what to do if anyone in the street ever throws a lazy slow motion jab at us and leaves it hanging out there extended for a few seconds.

The more you know I guess..
What!? That's exactly how the kids at the group home do it, they even wear the same type of helmet. The only difference is that those kids drool more and occasionally soil themselves, takes grappling right out of the equation. :)

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
20170605_183713.png

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are trying to flank and counter a taller guy. Don't stand right at their punching range.

People try to do what was done in that video in real time and it ends badly.

I think people believe that if you cut the distance short before you flank. You have more time to enter.

What happens is the other guy has no reason to go forwards. And just sits at that range punching your head off.

OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are trying to flank and counter a taller guy. Don't stand right at their punching range.

People try to do what was done in that video in real time and it ends badly.

I think people believe that if you cut the distance short before you flank. You have more time to enter.

What happens is the other guy has no reason to go forwards. And just sits at that range punching your head off.
Perhaps, but if you cut the flank short it makes for a better fajita. Smaller pieces are easier to chew.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with drop bear on range.

The video title says this is for fighting taller attackers.

Bad idea to stand immobile at the end of their punching range (right where they want you), where they can hit you, but you can't hit them.

In the first exchange, the defender plants his feet in a super wide stance and does the matrix to avoid and swivel around those punches.

Vulnerable to all sorts of things doing that, not the least of which is that left punch that looks like it could well have landed if the attacker intended it to (might even have landed), and knew how to punch...

At the same time, the defender is also reaching out and chasing the hands which leaves him with arms away from his head while doing the matrix which doesn't move his head far enough to avoid the punches.

I think if any of those punches had had intent, they likely all would have landed. At least the jab-cross combo would have knocked him out before he got outside of the third punch.

Tactics in the second exchange were much better, but I don't know why the attacker bent over to hide for no reason before even being hit. Defender also goes up on his toes to overreach, which means not as much power, and again vulnerable if he's not fighting a coward.

Better footwork and management of range needed so that when you enter it can be in a mobile, but solid stance and at the right range for you to counter.

OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with drop bear on range.

The video title says this is for fighting taller attackers.

Bad idea to stand immobile at the end of their punching range (right where they want you), where they can hit you, but you can't hit them.

In the first exchange, the defender plants his feet in a super wide stance and does the matrix to avoid and swivel around those punches.

Vulnerable to all sorts of things doing that, not the least of which is that left punch that looks like it could well have landed if the attacker intended it to (might even have landed), and knew how to punch...

At the same time, the defender is also reaching out and chasing the hands which leaves him with arms away from his head while doing the matrix which doesn't move his head far enough to avoid the punches.

I think if any of those punches had had intent, they likely all would have landed. At least the jab-cross combo would have knocked him out before he got outside of the third punch.

Tactics in the second exchange were much better, but I don't know why the attacker bent over to hide for no reason before even being hit. Defender also goes up on his toes to overreach, which means not as much power, and again vulnerable if he's not fighting a coward.

Better footwork and management of range needed so that when you enter it can be in a mobile, but solid stance and at the right range for you to counter.
My guess is that he bent over prematurely so as to not take one in the jewels for the sake of a demo. I've been on the recieving end of over eager performers looking to "make it real" for the crowd on their complacent dummies. Not saying definatively that this is the case, but would be my first guess.