Nishiyama

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe I got lucky yesterday. While in Columbus, my wife pointed out a little bookshop lodged in an old church. Loving books, I stopped there and lingered for a bit.

Upstairs, in one of the used book areas, I found several tomes involving karate. I selected one to purchase. Now, I selected it for three reasons:

1) It had a linen cover

2) It was marked $1.95 (US)

3) I recognized the name, Nishiyama

I looked at it closer when I got home and checked it on the web. It is, indeed, Karate by Hidetaka Nishiyama Amazon Link. Moreover, it's marked 'First Edition, Fourteenth Printing' inside the first page.

Lucky, lucky me :)

I also bought The Essential Tao. I lost my other copy.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Good deal! I love getting old books.

I would've bought it for the cover alone. Now, I see it's listing for $49.95 on amazon...I'm even more tickled.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mmmmm...old book smell...hell, new book smell...books are great...

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
You've got me interested in going to some of my old haunts and scouring the shelves :)

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a book that tells me about "The Places You Will Go". It has an odd sort of rhyming canter but is apparently written as a powerful motivational tool.

The illustrations haven't been very useful but it has good self-defense advise. For instance, it cautions me to "not go down any not-so-good street".

Is this a good reference source for training?

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
I have a book that tells me about "The Places You Will Go". It has an odd sort of rhyming canter but is apparently written as a powerful motivational tool.

The illustrations haven't been very useful but it has good self-defense advise. For instance, it cautions me to "not go down any not-so-good street".

Is this a good reference source for training?

I have long said, 'I will practice in a box/I will practice with a fox/I will practice here or there/I will practice anywhere'.

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
You've got me interested in going to some of my old haunts and scouring the shelves :)

It's going to be a new passtime for me, as well.