Ninjutsu good for security agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuhrer Drumpf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
who has said your karate isn't legitimate?

Because the bulk of my karate came from my stepfather. He's been doing the karate thing since the 1960s and even trained with respected schools in Japan. He taught me karate during my teenage years, but because we opted to practice in regular street clothes and he never awarded me a fancy belt of any kind, many martial artists I've encountered think I'm somehow less legit than them.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Because the bulk of my karate came from my stepfather. He's been doing the karate thing since the 1960s and even trained with respected schools in Japan. He taught me karate during my teenage years, but because we opted to practice in regular street clothes and he never awarded me a fancy belt of any kind, many martial artists I've encountered think I'm somehow less legit than them.
Have you ever heard the term "ceremonial adequacy?" you actually could be more skilled and also less legit at the same time.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so no one on here then, there a lot of fools,around in the world , someone said my dog was rubbish, i just ignored him

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I said the special forces are like the ninja, and then I gave an example showing how. You're the one who brought up elite military skills.
but the "special forces ARE elite troops, with elite skills, if ninja are like special forces they therefore must have elite skills

Fuhrer Drumpf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever heard the term "ceremonial adequacy?" you actually could be more skilled and also less legit at the same time.

I haven't. I don't care too much about belts, though, because belts are highly subjective and prerequisites vary by school. In fact, when Funakoshi Gichin awarded the first ever karate black belts, he himself had no belt.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I haven't. I don't care too much about belts, though, because belts are highly subjective and prerequisites vary by school. In fact, when Funakoshi Gichin awarded the first ever karate black belts, he himself had no belt.
Whether you value them or not, if you have earned one, you have it.

If you go to a university for four years, but don't graduate, you might have the same education as a graduate, or even betyer. but try putting that on a resume. "almost a college graduate" and $4 will get yiu a coffee at starbucks, but it won't help you get a job.

In the same way, you might be a more skilled martial artist, but not as legit.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
as an English man i want people to know that robin hoods wasn't real, but i don't winge on and on about it.

why do you find it necessary to keep citing your heritage, it doesn't make your opinions more valid?

It does if you want to play the weibo card.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
There's no historical evidence of shinobi fighting systems. In pre-modern Japan, the only hand-to-hand martial art around was jujitsu, which was highly varied and stylistic depending on which school or clan or teacher taught it. It's certainly possible that some shinobi may have learned jujitsu techniques, but shinobi didn't care for fighting a whole lot.

I agree that there is a lot of myth and misinformation about this subject so I’ll try to elaborate - please forgive me for a degree of oversimplification to avoid getting into lengthy posts

Different regions in Japan developed styles of combat according to their circumstances, contact with other styles etc
For example in the Kamakura area people were relatively wealthy and could afford good weapons, armour and so on they also had boats and a navy, so the martial arts in that region (eg Kukshinden) focused on armour, weapons and fighting on ships

Perhaps you’re right in that we could classify all of these as jujutsu, bujutsu/budo or similar, but the Japanese had many different terms to distinguish one style from another. Terms like dakentaijutsu (striking focus), jutaijutsu (yielding focus), koshijutsu (focus on muscular system) etc were used historically

The regions of Iga and Koga were poorer, mountainous and relatively ungoverned. As a result they attracted people who were on the losing side of great battles, immigrants from China, Korea etc. The martial arts in that region developed with a focus on surviving against the odds, escaping, using non-conventional weapons and had a large influence from Chinese styles. Over time the warriors from these regions were often referred to as ninja because their skills were different from the more mainstream bushi

There is a great deal of evidence that the people in Iga and Koga fought and had martial arts skills. Eg the stories of Nobunaga and Tokugawa Ieyasu’s encounters with the men of Iga

Last edited:

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi I'm new here! I'm a 20 y/o woman and i am currently a security agent. I'm a black belt in Taekwondo but I actually stopped years ago. I want to go back in martial art and found Ninjutsu. I'm not familiar with this art so wondering if it would be good for someone with my background ? Thanks a lot!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

I was an armed Security office for two years and have some experience with Ninjutsu. Ninjutsu is a great style to learn and I would advise learning it if you can get legitimate training. I emphasize legitimate because it's difficult finding one in Ninjutsu, I was fortunate to find a legitimate one, but they are difficult to find.

What weapons do you carry? Do you carry them on a belt? What type of environments do you provide security for? I would suggest Filipino Martial Arts(Kali, Escrima, Arnis). FMA will teach you striking, grappling, throws, sweeps, joint locks, chokes, pain compliance techniques and weaponry(baton, knives, etc) offense and defense. We have a lot of law enforcement in my Kali class and they absolutely love it. FMA in general is widely taught to Law Enforcement throughout the world. The reason I wouldn't suggest wrestling nor BJJ is because of potential situations like knife wielding opponents, multiple attackers and weapons retention. You need something that will cover many if not all the facets of Private Security.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not the lineage issue again... This is getting ridiculous. The truth lies in the kata, I believe. If it were not applicable or efficient in any way, it would not have existed. I would also like to see what @Chris Parker says, as he's the only reliable & most knowledgeable source here to comment on all things Ninjutsu related.

It's just ironic to me that the people who make the most accusations, know nothing about the subject at hand, nor do they have any physical experience with it.

It's true what they say; "Empty vessels make the most noise".

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not the lineage issue again... This is getting ridiculous. The truth lies in the kata, I believe. If it were not applicable or efficient in any way, it would not have existed. I would also like to see what @Chris Parker says, as he's the only reliable & most knowledgeable source here to comment on all things Ninjutsu related.

It's just ironic to me that the people who make the most accusations, know nothing about the subject at hand, nor do they have any physical experience with it.

Chris Parker has never worked in security, but he seems to know about ninjutsu. Important distinction there. Others in this thread are very experienced in security, but not as knowledgeable about ninjutsu.

You’re on the right track, but I’d suggest being a little more discriminating.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If it were not applicable or efficient in any way, it would not have existed. It's just ironic to me that the people who make the most accusations, know nothing about the subject at hand, nor do they have any physical experience with it."

I don't see your point if it's not applicable it wouldn't exist. What about the Wushu forms post boxer rebellion in China? I don't believe that just becomes a forms exists it is automatically valid as an applicable form. There are too many forms that have been created and are still being created to state that. There are also Martial Arts frauds you have to look out for in life that will trick and deceive you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't see your point if it's not applicable it wouldn't exist. What about the Wushu forms post boxer rebellion in China? I don't believe that just becomes a forms exists it is automatically valid as an applicable form. There are too many forms that have been created and are still being created to state that. There are also Martial Arts frauds you have to look out for in life that will trick and deceive you.

The most obvious distinction there is magic. So for example if horoscopes didn't work then why do they exist?

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The most obvious distinction there is magic. So for example if horoscopes didn't work then why do they exist?

Another example for a quality gradient would be weapons. If I'm choosing what knife to buy for everyday carry, I can only choose from knives that exist. I can buy a cheap 5 dollar one from the flea market, or a higher quality knife for 60 dollars. However; if I apply that rational then both knives are of equal quality for the sole reason that they both exist.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chris is very knowledgeable about ninjutsu, but he's hardly the only one here... Brian and Hyoho (just as a two examples) both have a great deal of knowledge about the Koryu arts.
Chris has (so far as I know) never worked in security. Brian has LEO experience. But even given those facts, it's also important to remember that the laws in your area might very well be totally different, resulting in drastic changes in how security issues are approached.

Fuhrer Drumpf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Whether you value them or not, if you have earned one, you have it.

If you go to a university for four years, but don't graduate, you might have the same education as a graduate, or even betyer. but try putting that on a resume. "almost a college graduate" and $4 will get yiu a coffee at starbucks, but it won't help you get a job.

In the same way, you might be a more skilled martial artist, but not as legit.

I disagree. Universities are accredited. Karate schools have nothing comparable to measure quality; John's blackbelt might be from a Mcdojo and Steve's blackbelt might come from having trained four hours a day for ten years. The belt system is a modern concept that is completely subjective and would have been totally unrecognizable to karate guys a century ago.

Also, why should I recognize your belt? Since there is no such thing as an objective blackbelt, you having one really tells me nothing about your skill. All it tells me is that you completed what your particular teacher considers the prerequisites for a blackbelt as per the standards he invented for his particular school.

I know karate. If someone wants to learn what I know, I'll teach them. I don't see why a belt is necessary.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I disagree. Universities are accredited. Karate schools have nothing comparable to measure quality; John's blackbelt might be from a Mcdojo and Steve's blackbelt might come from having trained four hours a day for ten years. The belt system is a modern concept that is completely subjective and would have been totally unrecognizable to karate guys a century ago.

Also, why should I recognize your belt? Since there is no such thing as an objective blackbelt, you having one really tells me nothing about your skill. All it tells me is that you completed what your particular teacher considers the prerequisites for a blackbelt as per the standards he invented for his particular school.

I know karate. If someone wants to learn what I know, I'll teach them. I don't see why a belt is necessary.
I wasn’t sharing an opinion. I was explaining a concept. It’s not really an agreed or disagree thing. The college degree was an example. Any kind of certification, regardless of how rigorous, fits. Black belt is a binary thing.

You’re getting yourself all mixed up with a lot of irrelevant trivia. The concept of ceremonial adequacy is not complicated, and it explains how one could be both more effective and less legitimate at the same time. If you think about it, you’ll realize that most of your post actually supports the concept.

Fuhrer Drumpf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wasn’t sharing an opinion. I was explaining a concept. It’s not really an agreed or disagree thing. The college degree was an example. Any kind of certification, regardless of how rigorous, fits. Black belt is a binary thing.

You’re getting yourself all mixed up with a lot of irrelevant trivia. The concept of ceremonial adequacy is not complicated, and it explains how one could be both more effective and less legitimate at the same time. If you think about it, you’ll realize that most of your post actually supports the concept.

I'm not "getting mixed up." Why should I recognize your belt? Is there a universal standard of belt grading that I'm unaware of, and did your teacher adhere to it? And, if so, can you verify this?

How can I know your karate is legit?

Why should I care if it is or not?

I don't mean to come across as an ***, btw. These are honest questions. I'm unsure why your belt makes you legitimate, or why it deserves the recognition of anyone outside of your school.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not "getting mixed up." Why should I recognize your belt? Is there a universal standard of belt grading that I'm unaware of, and did your teacher adhere to it? And, if so, can you verify this?

How can I know your karate is legit?

Why should I care if it is or not?

I don't mean to come across as an ***, btw. These are legitimate questions. I'm unsure why your belt makes you legitimate, or why it deserves the recognition of anyone outside of your school.
You don’t have to recognize anything. That’s one of the irrelevant bits. And I don’t think you’re an *** at all. I just think you are mixing things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.