Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ninjutsu Forums Reorganization

We are currently reorganizing our Ninjutsu forums. We've merged the old General and Traditional sections into this unified area, and are launching a new section called Koryu Corner to focus on that aspect of the arts. We will have some stickies out shortly with more information, as well as clean up the outdated ones currently hanging around.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is there a particular reason for this or was it just time to update?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Changes in the traffic and usage patterns, and a bit of a desire to refocus and take things in a little different direction to hopefully generate more traffic and content.

When we originally set up the Ninjutsu area, I just pulled the definition from the old rec.martial-arts faq. We later split it into 3 separate areas, 1 for the *kans, 1 for "American" and 1 for 'everything else ninjay'. The American one turned into a mess, and has been locked and archived for years. The traditional based folks were spending more and more time in the general area as the 'I saw a movie and thought it'd be cool to be a ninja' folks were phased out by the traditional 'foot in mouth' method. So having 2 sections that were mostly discussing the same thing, became redundant.

Bruno approached me with some ideas to restructure and we've been bouncing them around in the back for a bit, and decided to launch and revamp.

Worst case, we get a bit more concentrated traffic in 1 section, and a more specific focus on the Japanese aspect, along with the traditions, evolutions, and so on.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
As Bob already mentioned: the 2-forum approach to ninjutsu didn't really work anymore because discussion topics just got posted in both forums, making it non-obvious what was supposed to go where.

There was also not really longer any point in having 2 different definitions of 'ninjutsu'.
We've all come to a concensus that for something to be called ninjutsu, it has to have its roots in the arts originating from the Iga and Koga regions, which were associated with ninja clans.

Having the 2 forums sometimes led to the situation where people argued that the 'ninjutsu snobs' should stay in the traditional forums and the ninjers should be able to call their system 'ninjutsu' in the general ninjutsu forum without being annoyed by the 'snobs'.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I could see the logic there. So do we have a special place for the bozos that want to take 2 years of karate, read an outdated book by hayes and found their own "ryu"?

...we wouldn't want to leave those people out now would we?:uhyeah:

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
That could go into the 'horror stories' forum underneath the 'great debate', I suppose.

Latest Discussions