Ninja Stars

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Were ninja stars ever actually used? Outside of 80s ninja craze type stuff, of course.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As there have been a few topics of late surrounding the "ninja" and as the original op's seem not to return it does make me contemplate if the posts are actually for the purpose of finding out or are they merely to start of arguments or are we again going to experience a return to the 80's and the rise of the "ninja" again, I say this as there are now in publication many translations (I'm not going there as I ain't qualified to do that) of scrolls etc etc etc and is this again going to revive things that should be left where they ought to be , in the past. I just fear that things are again going to surface that should not and so many people are going to start arguing needlessly

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
are ninja starts still being used in martial arts?
i will assume by ninja STARTS you mean ninja stars...
are they used in the martial arts? in general no. we dont use pointy throwing things in most martial arts. if you want to be specific then i believe (and i could be wrong here we would need @Tony Dismukes to confirm this) throwing stars and spikes were taught in the Bujinkan system. i would believe it still would be taught as one of the many skills in that system.
out side of the Bujinkan and the other break away groups we would be looking at Koryu systems and maybe someone here might know if they include any kind of throwing skills but i highly highly doubt they would use a hollywood "ninja star"

EDIT:
clicking on the OP link you gotta love this sales pitch.
"Now you can feel like a real Ninja in a secret operation without getting caught with this Titanium Khoga Ninja Five Points Throwing Star."

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
...are we again going to experience a return to the 80's and the rise of the "ninja" again...
Would that really be a bad thing? I grew up wanting to be a ninja in the 80s.

I remember I had this awesome ninja t-shirt that I found on the clearance rack at JC Penney’s for 99 cents (that was pretty cheap, even for ‘84) that came with the mask too. My parents just had to buy it for me because it was so cheap. And cool. You have no idea how much time I spent sneaking around the house undetected doing ninja stuff. I even wore it with my macho man Randy Savage sunglasses while break dancing on my flattened cardboard box and blaring Run-DMC’s Raising Hell on my huge boom box. 3rd grade was pretty cool.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Would that really be a bad thing? I grew up wanting to be a ninja in the 80s.

I remember I had this awesome ninja t-shirt that I found on the clearance rack at JC Penney’s for 99 cents (that was pretty cheap, even for ‘84) that came with the mask too. My parents just had to buy it for me because it was so cheap. And cool. You have no idea how much time I spent sneaking around the house undetected doing ninja stuff. I even wore it with my macho man Randy Savage sunglasses while break dancing on my flattened cardboard box and blaring Run-DMC’s Raising Hell on my huge boom box. 3rd grade was pretty cool.

Ummm ok glad ya didn't get caught by mom lol,

Mind you then you could have got her to buy your super duper ninja pants ...........to evade the *** whooping lol

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
i will assume by ninja STARTS you mean ninja stars...
are they used in the martial arts? in general no. we dont use pointy throwing things in most martial arts. if you want to be specific then i believe (and i could be wrong here we would need @Tony Dismukes to confirm this) throwing stars and spikes were taught in the Bujinkan system. i would believe it still would be taught as one of the many skills in that system.
out side of the Bujinkan and the other break away groups we would be looking at Koryu systems and maybe someone here might know if they include any kind of throwing skills but i highly highly doubt they would use a hollywood "ninja star"

EDIT:
clicking on the OP link you gotta love this sales pitch.
"Now you can feel like a real Ninja in a secret operation without getting caught with this Titanium Khoga Ninja Five Points Throwing Star."
Throwing stars are used in the bujinkan however an exception is made in the UK due to our laws banning them.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ummm ok glad ya didn't get caught by mom lol,

Mind you then you could have got her to buy your super duper ninja pants ...........to evade the *** whooping lol
Oh I definitely had the parachute pants* too. Tied up at the bottom to show off my Adidas shell toe high tops.

*Sometimes people confuse the parachute pants and the MC Hammer pants. Different pants, completely different eras.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah but did your ninja skills manage to stop you getting the *** whooping ???

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
MC Hammer trousers - anyone else heard them called sh*tcatchers?

Just me?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MC Hammer trousers - anyone else heard them called sh*tcatchers?

Just me?

lol ummm no just a poor fashion statement (mind you it may involve more colourful words being substituted )

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
if you want to be specific then i believe (and i could be wrong here we would need @Tony Dismukes to confirm this) throwing stars and spikes were taught in the Bujinkan system. i would believe it still would be taught as one of the many skills in that system.
Yeah, the X-Kans teach shuriken-jutsu. (Shuriken can be spike or star shaped.) It's a pretty small part of the curriculum though. I think it can be found in a handful of koryu arts as well, but once again as a minor area of study.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jeezuz, am I the ONLY one who carries three dozen stars secreted about my body, everywhere I go, every day???

‘Cause ya never know when ya might need three dozen stars to get you out of a jam...

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jeezuz, am I the ONLY one who carries three dozen stars secreted about my body, everywhere I go, every day???

‘Cause ya never know when ya might need three dozen stars to get you out of a jam...

three dozen ok hope you never go near a magnet lol

and I assume you wear the black pj's just as an extra insurance to let everyone know your a deadly ninja lol

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
HA shows what you know...we used them in the 70s too :D

Oh and the OP should note; the shuriken are illegal in some states and many municipalities

As are many things that they market as the secret "ninja weapons" ..........get caught carrying them and ya might have a job explaining why

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They (LEO aka PD) took mine....forgot I had in in my leather jacket pocket.... back in the late 70s

ooops ...I guess you didn't read the bit on how to conceal them from the leo's in the training manual lol