Ninja Course

D

drunkenfist

I was wondering about this home study Ninjutsu course.I was curious and went to a "dojo" where the guys claimed they learned Ninjutsu.They are of course willing to teach you for a starter fee of $200.I found the price steep so I researched where these guys were "trained" so to speak.It did'nt take much doing but I found out they were trained by tape.After finding out that much I was not going back.I bought the same course they learned from so I was wondering does it work.I have other martial arts training so learning this won't be hard at all.
If it's not good I can send it back for a refund so I'm not out anything.I am not paying these guys for something I can do myself.They were charging kids $60 a shot to come hang out at his house for a "camp".I was just wondering.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are alot of home study courses in every art. Its a shame that people have to use such cheap tactics to rip off others. True, nowadays, anybody can order a black belt and get a fancy diploma printed up. Definatley do your homework and research any school that you consider going to.

You could probably contact the main org. and find out if they have any record of these people teaching in the area.

Mike

OP
D

drunkenfist

The homestudy course is Richard Van Donks of the American Bujinkan.I was just looking for something to play around with at home.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes...it's how I originally got involved in the Bujinkan. I ordered and watched/practiced the first three tapes until a teacher showed up locally in my home town.

It's better then nothing. But when I did have in-person instruction, a lot of the material that I'd orginally picked up from the videos needed to be "unlearned". My opinion is that Richard Van Donk's demonstrations and understanding conveyed on those tapes is lacking...regardless of his mega-dan ranking.

OP
D

drunkenfist

I've gone over them a few times and picked up a few things but nothing life changing.I've mostly just picked up a few new ideas for sparring.I was not impressed with those that teach here.
It looks to be a cool art but my time is really in Kung Fu and Tae Kwon Do.All of my instruction at both places does not even cost half of what these guys wanted.They were very rough around the edges as far as teaching and martial arts knowledge.I told the guy that I took Tae Kwon Do and he kept saying I see alot of Karate.Maybe it's based on Karate concepts but the 2 arts are very different in looks and execution.All I need to see is a Tae Kwon Do roundhouse and I can imediately tell but they could'nt.
They were very intent on degrading the art saying your taking a exspensive aerobics class or girls do that art.They had absolutely nothing good to say about Kung Fu either.They put me in with a "higher" ranking student for 2 man training on my first class.
The one dude was like teach little missy here our art and then said pain was good.He said he was going to kick my butt because other martial arts are weak.I asked the dude how did he want it Korean,Chinese,or a combo meal.Everything my Sifu taught me these dudes did not teach them how to handle very well.I'm not degrading the Bujinkan but these guys were dorks.I'll stick with the videos.

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Neither do I but just for the benefit of doubt...who, where and when??

People just Loooooove smacking the Bujinkan!

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
It does seem a tad far fetched. If it be a respectable school this wouldn't happen. Bujinkan or any other school of Ninjutsu (not only the Booj being pushed)
I'd say with the starter fee etc, being a member of the Kan it doesn't sound too right. Mind you I am also a member of an independent org, most of their prices are not that high either.

But to be fair I have been to a dojo in the last 2 years where this was the case to a degree, but it was a visit not a possible training future.

However someone with a background in TKD would find Taijutsu rather boring. As for the pain is good claim, I have always found the TKD practitioner one to say that more than a BBT practitoner, as far as ego issues go.

Just my senseless babbling

OP
T

The Psycho Guy

Please don't hijack threads...use the humor forum.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Thanks for directing me to the "Real Ultimate Power," website...it was funny as hell, smart, and--if anybody troubles to read about the author--honest, at least apparently.

I just wonder if the "hate mail," was real or made up...

OP
L

Lawman9

One of my students purchased Van Donk's videos. He puts a lot of information on them. I think they are great as refreshers and knowlege builders, but nothing replaces a teacher. You can learn a lot of the kami from the tape but until someone shows you why you use them, they are confusing.
They would be great to have in your library for references though.

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree...Videos and books are great for refreshers and reminders but to truly understand what is happening and going on...well as I posted in another thread...here is a quote from Hatsumi Sensei that sums it up greatly!

"You can only understand if you've had the technique done to
you. It's like food. You can't describe the taste, but if you've
tasted it, you know what it is. You have to personally
experience it to understand."
- Masaaki Hatsumi

Latest Discussions