Nick Cerio Kempo

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
More differences than similarities...That whole interview seemed wacky to me-

Cerio trained with Professor Chow for 3 weeks total, 2 weeks on one occasion and 1 week on another. Yes, professor Chow singed a 5th dan certificate for Cerio, but it was in "cerio's" system not Professor's. Professor Chow regretted giving some of the rank cert's. that he signed, he did so for money as he was VERY poor and he thought that if the rank was not in "his" art, that it was not a big deal.

This does not mean that Cerio was not an outstanding martial artist, just that his training with Professor Chow is often overstated, or completely inaccurate.

Hope this helps-

thatdude

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm actually a student of a direct student of Nick Cerio. The guy's name is "Clairemont Poulain" and he's the student taht Mr. Cerio offered his 10th dan to replace him at the moment of his death. Mr. Poulain has a chain of schools in the province of Quebec (Canada), with a few thousand students.

My personal experience of Nick Cerio's Kenpo is absolutely great. It clearly has the chinese influence of his lineage ancestors.

The highest rank Cerio promoted anyone is 8th dan.

Gokyu401

White Belt
Reaction score
Somewhere around here in the dark, dank library on Farmer Mountain (where I reside)... I have a copy of a book that Nick Cerio put out with his wife and several others doing techniques.

He wasn't politically correct, he had his own methodology, he created his own outcomes... He had a method that he called "Fist Law"... It really is Kenpo. It's just not Ed Parker Kenpo.

I love Kenpo as much as anybody else, but like the use of the English language, Kenpo is as open to interpretation and usage as all of the hundred of thousands of words in English... And funnily enough, at the end of the day, despite intonations, usages of words, dialects, and "twangs", we all tend to understand one another.

If you are unfamiliar with Cerio Kenpo, I would suggest that you visit the class. If that is too much of a problem due to shyness, unsurety, or whatever, send me a PM, I'll send you my copy of his book so you can check it out, and perhaps, make a more informed decision.

Just some thoughts.

Dan
Is this book you have The Master's Text? If so, would you be willing to share it or even send pictures? I started NCK when I was 10 years old and my Uncle was Nidan at our dojo. He had a copy of The Master's Text and when he passed I couldn't find it...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is this book you have The Master's Text? If so, would you be willing to share it or even send pictures? I started NCK when I was 10 years old and my Uncle was Nidan at our dojo. He had a copy of The Master's Text and when he passed I couldn't find it...
Unfortunately the individual to whom you are replying passed away several years ago.

Latest Discussions