Nicholas Cage names son after Superman

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I heard that Larry "Chipper" Jones of the Atlanta Braves named his son Shea after Shea stadium because he's usually played so well there against the Mets

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Bruce Willis and Demi Moore named their children Rumour and Scout. Although they used the name Scout from the character in "To Kill a Mockingbird" so it had a literary correlation. At least it wasn't named after Tonto's horse.

Penn (of Penn and Teller) named his daughter Moxie Crimefighter, which is probably the worst name I've ever heard.

Although Gin-Gin doesn't seem to like "Apple" I think it's kind of a cute name. I knew a girl named Apple once and the name suited her because it made me think of something light and enjoyable. It's not that different than naming your child Summer.

I think we are in a time where people are very interested in providing a level of individuality to their child. It is less important nowadays for children to carry traditional family names so a name may not be carried from generation to generation.

We are also much more influenced by pop culture and the media than we once were. I mean, my son is named Xander (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and my daughter's name is Paris (which I would like to point out was after the city, not the Hilton). At the time I thought both were unique without being too weird but since then I have seen a rise in popularity of the name Paris. It has also become associated with females even though the name was originally male (as in Paris of the legend of Troy).

I almost named my daughter Willow (yep, still a Buffy thing) or Faith (still from Buffy, not Faith Hill although if you thought that then it proves my point). I even imagine there will be a few young girls named Hermione running around out there.

So, all things considered, I can live with the name Kal-El. If Nick and Alice raise their son to be a good person and he finds happiness in life, more power to them all. And, if he has even an iota of the honor and integrity of his namesake then Kal-El is a good choice.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Actors/Celebs are so WHACK!
No ... PEOPLE are so whack. Okay, well, yes, actors are whack, but it's not unique to the trade, believe me.

I worked for a real estate development firm in So. Cal. and once worked with a gal whose name was Ima. I didn't think much of it until she told me her last name ... Slutsky. I couldn't believe it - I'd heard jokes about names like that and scoffed at her and tried to pry her real name out of her. She got tired of me really fast and I found out later from a friend in H/R that she had in fact given me her REAL NAME. Her parents were not famous by any means, nor were they actors nor musicians nor artists. I can't imagine what they were thinking.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That guy from Korn named his Kid "Pirate"

That makes me mad.

The Bastard beat me to it.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why, Techno? Trying to save such a great name for your own kid?

Take heart. I hear that "Buccaneer" and "Sea Scoundral" are still available.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My favorite name through the years was a little girl I delivered who named her SINSEMILIA after her favorite recreational substance. I also new a woman once named Ima Hoar but she married into that name.

Jeff

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Dweezil & Moon Unit Zappa did pretty well by themselves, didn't they?

Bruce Willis and Demi Moore chose some unusual names too, if memory serves...and then there's the Phoenix siblings.
when you're named dweezil it sure is nice to be be born a multi-millionaire.

Jeff

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
I also knew a woman once named Ima Hoar but she married into that name. Jeff
Occasionally there is something to be said for breaking with tradition and keeping one's maiden name. lol

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mornin
Kenpodoc said:
when you're named dweezil it sure is nice to be be born a multi-millionaire.
Indeed it is - especially when you're growing up and need a body guard because your schoolmates don't believe your dad is a famous rock n' roll artist because he's dead.

My first two given names are states ... maybe I qualify for federal subsidy ..... :rolleyes:

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Take heart. I hear that "Buccaneer" and "Sea Scoundral" are still available.
Ooooooo ... I LIKE Buccanner ... say, I like Buccaneer ... Have I mentioned I really like Buccanner??

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you like it that much, feel free to use it. I've had all the kids I can handle.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
If you like it that much, feel free to use it. I've had all the kids I can handle.
:rofl: That's a GOOD one! :rofl:
I have three ranging in ages 7 - 16. We affectionately call the youngest "Finito."

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always figured that anyone named Dick Butkiss would *have* to group up pretty tough; no suprise he ended up as a pretty tough football player

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Butkiss was the man. according to legend Vince lombardi who was a believer in the play and not the personalities made one exception to running certain plays. the reason "Butkis will be there"

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have 3 yr old twins, a boy and a girl. Done deal though I love them dearly.

I should have named my son Daffodil. That way I can be sure he'll study martial arts with me just for the self-defense.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
I have 3 yr old twins, a boy and a girl. Done deal though I love them dearly.

I should have named my son Daffodil. That way I can be sure he'll study martial arts with me just for the self-defense.
A boy named Sue ~ Johnny Cash

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, since I wont have to worry about naming kids, its kinda a moot point (it takes two to make em, I am told)

But I always said if I had some, I would name them "Stupid" and "Ugly"...

That way, when they wrote their names on tests, Last Name First, First Name Last... it would read:

Boyer Ugly,

and

Boyer Stupid.

:D

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
A boy named Sue ~ Johnny Cash
I always thought it was spelled Souix?? Like the First Nations?? But then again, I've never bought a country album in my life that I've listened to without wincing (sorry - I'm a rock child).

Latest Discussions