Nice to see this forum's finally getting some traffic

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
There has been more traffic in the past days than in the entire last year, almost, which is nice.

I started learning Japanese a while ago. Hiragana and katakana, and some basic . So far I can recognize / write all hiragana and make some very short sentences. Still working on katakana. My calligraphy is still attrocious atm.

I thought of posting here earlier but the forum was pretty much dead, then.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm afraid that my learning curve with Japanese has tapered down to nought at present.

I was doing well and being diligent in my practise of the Hiragana and Katakana but I have allowed the computer game Lord of the Rings On-line into my home and it devours hours with voracity :(.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Japanese is atrocious at best but I try!
icon6.gif
I found however when in Japan that every third person spoke decent English so getting around really was not a problem. It also helped that in Tokyo the signs were in Romanji (ie. Romaji) However once out in the country things were a little harder!
icon6.gif

OP
Bruno@MT

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm afraid that my learning curve with Japanese has tapered down to nought at present.

I was doing well and being diligent in my practise of the Hiragana and Katakana but I have allowed the computer game Lord of the Rings On-line into my home and it devours hours with voracity :(.

This is exactly why I don't play games anymore.
I'd love to play WOW but I just know that once I start, I'd waste huge amounts of time on it. It's been a long while since I played any computer game.

I already have little enough time to waste.
What time I have left I spend in my basement working on razors, reading books (fantasy mostly) or something else tangible.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Believe it or not, many years ago I was learning Japanese as well and I was told I was doing pretty well by a few Japanese speakers. But then I just stopped and I don't really know why.

Now I am learning Chinese, since my wife and were family are from there. But here's the thing, my wife, who is a native Mandarin speaker who speaks English.....also speaks Japanese.

She also teaches Chinese at the local community college and over half of her students are usually Japanese, due to the similarities in the writing systems

OP
Bruno@MT

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've made a habit of taking my Japanese learning material with me when I go to meetings. Usually, half the meeting is about topic which do not concern me, and I use the time to practise. That way it takes up less of my free time, and I make better progress.