Newbie Kenpo Question?

ldgman1970

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well I have checked out a few styles and tonight after going to class at Larry Tatum's studio I think I am going to give Kenpo a try. When I was talking with one of the instructors he said that most people attend two group classes per week and usually do one or two privates per week. I haven't taken an organized martial art in about 16 years but the last time I did I don't think taking a private lesson was all that common unless you really needed it, is this kind of the norm now or does it depend on the studio?

Thanks

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ldgman1970 said:
Hi all,

Well I have checked out a few styles and tonight after going to class at Larry Tatum's studio I think I am going to give Kenpo a try. When I was talking with one of the instructors he said that most people attend two group classes per week and usually do one or two privates per week. I haven't taken an organized martial art in about 16 years but the last time I did I don't think taking a private lesson was all that common unless you really needed it, is this kind of the norm now or does it depend on the studio?

Thanks
Sounds like a good deal to me. For most studios, private lessons are considered additional study and an extra charge on top of the regular tuition. If he offers privates along with group classes as the package deal and this is within your price range, I'd grab it. Larry Tatum has an excellent reputation as an instructor. He also makes sure that all the other instructors who teach at his studio are "on the same page" so they teach well too.

- Ceicei

T

tsunami

Are the private classes included in the monthly fee? Are you allowed to attend all lower belt group classes? In my experience privates were only if you wanted to get extra attention or refine specific skills. Some schools are different. You should be able to attend as many lower belt classes you want. Privates usually cost extra and are not really required in the beginning except for an introductory class.

Good luck! George

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
ldgman1970 said:
Hi all,

Thanks
Hi ldgman1970,

First let me say good choice on Larry Tatum's school, I've seen his videos for years and his speed, skill, knowledge, and explanations are great. He's been said to be (in the kenpo community) the teacher of blackbelts, and I, for one beleive it. I'm in Boston, and would love to pick up and go out there to train under him directly. As far as the private lesson issue you've raised, it more depends on the individual. If you have the money and time to do so, I would recommend at least 1 per week, in addition to the group classes.

R

rmcrobertson

My general understanding about Mr. Tatum's is that most students do a private class and a couple of group classes each week, though some do not, and that everybody's welcome to come in and train any time we're open...and by the way, it has been my experience that folks are pretty much always happy to help each other out.

But then, I'm biased. See you there....

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah- I think it depends on the studio and also on the individual. Some students feel they get enough info. just from their classes, others like to work on something specific they may feel like they need clarification on, etc. It's been my experience over the years that private lessons are not free- but maybe some studios offer this option as a perk to their regular tuition. At any rate, Kenpo is a very good art.......I highly recommend it!! :)

Latest Discussions