Newbie Errors

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So I am still new to BJJ...I am in my first month(I had a little bit of experience with the moves being done TOO me in a previous MMA class lol). I have been able to accomplish a few arm bars and am working on my chokes during our roll sessions(most of the guys are alot better than me except for my friend who is a newbie as well). They have been explaining to me a little bit about the complexities and what I need to do. So I guess I am just curious if anyone has any tips for newbies. This is what I have so far...

1)Breath
2)Calm Down
3)Dont rush the other guy when you cant do anything.

Any words of advice from the more experienced guys would be welcomed since I am just working on the fundamentals right now. I am still fighting that stay on top urge that comes from wrestling and MMA.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Couple of things. First, congrats on getting started!

I highly recommend Stephan Kesting's Roadmap for BJJ. It's specifically designed to give some structure to newbies like you and will help you make sense of the overwhelming amount of information that you will be exposed to in the first year or so you train. http://www.grapplearts.com/roadmap/index.php

I'd also highly recommend my friend Slideyfoot's BJJ Beginner's FAQ. http://www.slideyfoot.com/2006/10/bjj-beginner-faq.html

There's everything from practical advice on how to wash your gi, to vocabulary, to you name it on that FAQ. Well worth the read.

Other than that, listen to your body. Tap early and often. You can't train if you're injured, so if you're in a situation where it hurts but you're not sure why, or you can't figure out whether you're in danger or not, better safe than sorry.

Expect ups and downs. It will feel for a long time like you're not learning anything at all. But believe me, you are. You can't help it if you train regularly. The thing is, everyone else is learning, too. Just keep training and in a month or two, another new guy will come in and you'll recognize all of the mistakes you used to make.

We could talk technique with you, but really, that's best done by your instructor.

slideyfoot

White Belt
Reaction score

eagles51593

White Belt
Reaction score
Also, remember, don't be too focused on just getting the tap. It is always position before submission.

Dagney Taggert

Green Belt
Reaction score
Warm up.
Breathe.
Tap early. Tap often.
Welcome!

And whatever frustration you feel about getting tapped out, or feeling like you are not improving, remember that everyone in your class has been there.

Latest Discussions