Newbie and feeling like an idiot

Jo-zen

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all
I haven't posted for a good long while. Those who know me would not be surprised. I finally got my yellow belt, yeah! I have also participated in an in house tournament, receiving my very first medal! It was for participating. My dojo is very good about making sure everyone goes home with a medal. I know silly on my part, but I have never had the guts to compete for any type of medal. In fact, my school is one the best schools in San Diego. Anyway, on to my question, or thought or embarrassing TMI. See the thing is I am overweight, which no one cares about, in fact everyone greats me with smiles whenever I go and Sensei is always making sure to give me positive words. The problem is that I fall down all the time, in fact I am really good at the falling down part of class. I can fall three or four times in class. My ankle rolls out from under me. It's becoming embarrassing, no one says anything, but I know it is distracting for the class and then I get embarrassed. Which means I don't show up for class for a couple of days. I know that I need to get over it, but does anyone have any suggestions? Right now, I just pull a judo roll and pop up laughing.

I know TMI, but I had to say it.

Jo-zen

:caffeine:

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jo-Zen,

Well the important thing is that you keep getting up after every time you fall! It would be REAL EASY to just give up and go home and watch TV or do other things but instead- you go to class and keep pushing yourself. My hat is off to you!

The mere fact that you SIGNED UP AND ARE GIVING IT AN HONEST GO IS ALREADY A VICTORY! I would rather have 1 student like you than 20 who may be athletic but never push themselves and never strive to be better than when they walked through the door.

I am not super touchy-feely but I call it like I see/read it and you sir/m'am are a motivation to others who are afraid to take those first steps, and remember....The journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step.

Just keep getting up EVERY time and let nothing stop you from going to class and improving, you might be surprised with the result!

James

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with dianshue on this one, JZ. Let's assume you're right, and you are overweight. I doubt that anyone pays all that much attention, for a simple but devastating reason: they're much too worried about how they themselves appear, whether or they can cut it, and so on. I've come to think, over many years (decades?), that people have a seriously overexaggerated idea of how much attention other people in a group are paying to their self-described and self-emphasized shortcomings. People are on the whole quite self-centered, meaning that they really do think that it's all about them; but the fine print makes it clear that it's `all about them' in negative ways as well as positive ones. So the bottom line is that no one is giving too much of a rat's *** about what's wrong with you, what you're doing wrong, and so on, because they're too busy worrying about other people noticing what's wrong with them.

The truth is, you're probably a lot lower on their radar screen than you think. They have other things on their minds, mostly anxieties about their own performance.

So you should try to relax a bit and not think that when you fall down, or whatever, anyone is smirking about how they would never do that or fussing impatiently that you're holding everyone else up. They're really all thinking about their own upcoming performance on the floor, and all the myriad ways they might bugger it up if they aren't really sharp... and they aren't feeling all that sharp at the moment! :rolleyes: Really, you have to relax and have fun and not think about all the other people in your class (plenty of whom are secretly worrying about how you're going to judge them). As dianshue says, the great thing is that you're doing a demanding, worthwhile thing seriously and, whether you are aware of it or not, are improving steadily. Really, we're all in the same boat, eh?

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you fall down a lot. You clearly aren't doing it on purpose, so I don't think anyone is really bothered. If it was a real problem someone (ie your teacher) would have said something. The important thing is to not lose your motivation because you get embarrassed, keep going to class.

You just got a yellow. You're just a beginner, balance will come with practice. You will come to know what your body can do. Exile has given some excellent advice. Just relax, don't worry about the impression others might have, and focus down on doing what you have to do.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stand back up and say "I meant to do that" in your best PeeWee Herman voice. ;)

Just relax and have fun.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First off, congrats on choosing a course of action and giving it your all! Second, congrats on participating in the in-house tournament, I don't knwo if it was mandatory, but the fact is you again gave it your all!!!
Third - congrats on your recent promotion, keep it up.

Finally, if you are in fact over weight and would like to do something else about it, there is help available. My wife and I are participating in Weightwatchers and although we are still new in that program, I know numerous folks that have lost weight and kept it off through them. I don't want to sound like any more of a commercial so if you have questions, PM me (I'm not a sponsor, just trying to help out).

To recap - CONGRATS on all of your achievements thus far and look forward to further progress and if you need help with other issues, there is help available. Be patient and keep training!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have gotten some serious advice that I cannot add too except KEEP ****ING TRAINING..Don't worry about it...I am and was always for the longest time a little overweight, I didn't let it bother me...If a fell it was no biggie..I wore an ankle brace and that helped..Ask Exile, he's met me ..I am a big guy and very lethal on the dojo floor...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What everyone else said! and I think it's amazing you can do a judo roll! I can only do judo 'landings' and I have to be thrown first. if I fell over actually I should when I fall over I sort of crumple in a heap. Trust me everyone falls over in martial arts, I haven't seen a karate class where someone didn't, with the things we do it's easy to over balance. We have a professional MMA fighter, 19 years old very talented but if he tries a front kick he leans too far back and without fail falls backwards onto the floor. We fight MMA, in a ring on most fight nights and I've seen many fighters who've have tripped on the way in, it's a mixture of nerves and adrenaline, several have gone flat on their faces in front of hundreds of people.
It's sounds as if you have a great class, it really is true that people are worrying about themselves far more than they worry about anyone else in the class. If you have some complete beginners in your class take a quick peek at them and you will find out that you have already learned more than you think you have! without being judgemental you will find yourself mentally 'correcting' their moves in your head because you see, you have progressed! You will always progress, all the black belts on here will tell that we are all still progressing!
As for weight, I put on far more than I'm comfortable with and am having a hard time shifting it, perhaps we can start a support group as I'm desparate to get fit for July and meeting people!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jo-Zen,

The mere fact that you SIGNED UP AND ARE GIVING IT AN HONEST GO IS ALREADY A VICTORY! I would rather have 1 student like you than 20 who may be athletic but never push themselves and never strive to be better than when they walked through the door.

I know you have already gotten tons of great comments from everyone, but I wanted to throw mine out here as well! :)
I think the fact that you are TRYING so hard is probably why you are falling. Anytime I see an adult beginner fall (which is NOT all that rare at our school) it is because they are putting their ALL in to a kick and end up kicking themselves right off their feet. In fact, if every beginner was giving their all (as it sounds you do) everyone would fall on occasion. You are putting everything in to your technique, and that is how you are going to improve the fastest. Keep at it, don't be embarrassed and be confident that eventually you won't be falling any more (and you'll probably be better than those students who never fell)....assuming you keep going to class that is! :)
As stated above, my favorite students aren't those who are naturally good at martial arts, but those who really work hard.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a fell it was no biggie..I wore an ankle brace and that helped..Ask Exile, he's met me ..I am a big guy and very lethal on the dojo floor...

Lethal on or to the floor?:)

On a more serious note -- the original poster may want to consider an ankle brace if they're having problems with their ankles not supporting them. Wrestling shoes might be another option.

But it's normal for people to fall or stumble or have problems learning new skills, especially if they involve balancing in new ways. And kicks are definitely new ways to balance for most of us!

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Okay, I will say that what is in front of you, the prize, is so precious that you must continue to practice. You may not realize how good it is to benefit from exercise (especially exercise that is interesting to do, like Martial Arts). Also, you will gain self confidence and make good friends who will be friends perhaps for the rest of your life.

So, you have to ask yourself, am I going to persevere or not? Now, if this was very easy to you, then the success of continuing would not be as great. Because you are challenged in this big way makes the victory more sweet.

It comes down to this --> the prize is attainable, it is possible, not impossible. The only enemy you must defeat is yourself. If you do continue to go to class and practice, you will get the payoff. If you give up, then, no, you will not.

I sincerely hope that you will continue, and get this good payoff. It will be more than worth it, you will see. Mark my word. I may not know a lot of things, but this I know certainly.

Don't let anything keep you from this experience!

Robert

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OH!!!

If you were not serious about this, you would not post here, you would just simply give up!

my school is one the best schools in San Diego.
Good. Then, when you succeed, all of the other students take joy. This is a group effort in that way. When you get better kicks, the whole group has had a hand in that, and take pride!

YOU GET IN THAT SCHOOL AND START THROWING KICKS!!!

OP
Jo-zen

Jo-zen

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow, thanks! I was really nervous about posting as I really don't want to say these things in class and I wasn't sure how it would be received here.

The funny thing is, I guess our Sensei noticed this problem was bothering me in yesterdays class. He came up with comments like: I thought I was only one that did that, or I did that last week. I think he sees what you all have commented on and that is I still show up and is giving me the sign that I am doing just fine. I'm not sure if I believe him, but I do see the reason behind it. Just someone taking the time to tell me it's ok, really helps.

Thank you all!

Eric7_27

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi all
I haven't posted for a good long while. Those who know me would not be surprised. I finally got my yellow belt, yeah! I have also participated in an in house tournament, receiving my very first medal! It was for participating. My dojo is very good about making sure everyone goes home with a medal. I know silly on my part, but I have never had the guts to compete for any type of medal. In fact, my school is one the best schools in San Diego. Anyway, on to my question, or thought or embarrassing TMI. See the thing is I am overweight, which no one cares about, in fact everyone greats me with smiles whenever I go and Sensei is always making sure to give me positive words. The problem is that I fall down all the time, in fact I am really good at the falling down part of class. I can fall three or four times in class. My ankle rolls out from under me. It's becoming embarrassing, no one says anything, but I know it is distracting for the class and then I get embarrassed. Which means I don't show up for class for a couple of days. I know that I need to get over it, but does anyone have any suggestions? Right now, I just pull a judo roll and pop up laughing.

Jo-zen

trust me- first off- don't worry about it. At times it can be funny, but really only because everyone knows what it's like to fall down. I especially have had plenty of experience falling down- mostly on new kicks. One time I was sparring and fell down like 4 times but 3-4 times I scored my point on my way down :) all the kids laughed but I just reminded them who got the point ;) for tips- I'd suggest making sure you don't lean back too much when you kick, but work on your balance. Try holding up your leg and focusing on something while you throw slow kicks. This over time will greatly improve your balance as it has with mine.

If you're doing like turning kicks, once again, you'll want to make sure you don't lean back too much. It's like a Top. Ever seen a toy top spinng? The ones that go the longest aren't always the ones that spin the fastest, but the ones who's center of gravity is tight and even. A top that wobbles won't spin for long and before you know it- it falls down. So try to stay up right when you spin around or throw your kicks. Hope this helps.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
trust me- first off- don't worry about it. At times it can be funny, but really only because everyone knows what it's like to fall down. I especially have had plenty of experience falling down- mostly on new kicks. One time I was sparring and fell down like 4 times but 3-4 times I scored my point on my way down :) all the kids laughed but I just reminded them who got the point ;) for tips- I'd suggest making sure you don't lean back too much when you kick, but work on your balance. Try holding up your leg and focusing on something while you throw slow kicks. This over time will greatly improve your balance as it has with mine.

If you're doing like turning kicks, once again, you'll want to make sure you don't lean back too much. It's like a Top. Ever seen a toy top spinng? The ones that go the longest aren't always the ones that spin the fastest, but the ones who's center of gravity is tight and even. A top that wobbles won't spin for long and before you know it- it falls down. So try to stay up right when you spin around or throw your kicks. Hope this helps.

This is our lads problem, he won't stretch and while he's a very talented fighter he's actually quite stiff. He doesn't 'do' front kicks and if he tries he bends his front knee swings the back leg up, leans back and bang he's flat on his back. We do laugh at him as it's his own fault but no one laughs at anyone else as we all know how it feels, sometimes though you are so engrossed in what you are doing believe it or not you don't notice if someone falls over.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I saw a Master Instructor take a fall once. He was wearing socks. No one laughed, though, because there is not time usually for such laughing nonsense. People are trying to learn, and usually are pushed to their own limit, as class continues.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Every post in this thread is valuable and contributes something very positive.

I'll just add a couple of things that I don't remember seeing above, so may be helpful. First, as the last post shows, practice is just practice; no one is perfect, that's why we practice. That's the place to make blunders, and as exile and others said, classmates probably notice and remember your 'blunders' much less than their own.

Second, when I started out it was not my ankles that gave me problems, but something close--my knees. I found out after a few years of practice (wearing braces in the meantime) that forms (which I hated, but that's because I wasn't taught the applications--another story and many good threads on the subject :)) had strengthened my knees to the point I didn't need the braces any more.

So, congrats on the medal, the yellow belt, the courage to hang in when most would quit, and just keep on keepin on. Good things are already happening, things which you may not even know have been going on until a few years down the road.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have a technique which defends against a wrist grab from two opponents on either side. The first part of it calls for catching their wrists and then doing a crossover step to the right side, pulling them down as you follow with a kick to the opponent on the right. I was doing this technique in front of the class for my track test and my gi pants got under the heel of my left foot on the crossover step. As I kicked with my right foot, my left foot followed and I landed flat on my back. Embarrassed as hell, I did the only thing I could do - punched straight up in the air and kiai'ed. My instructor said, "nice job, but you forgot to cover out." :rofl:

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I salute you for sticking with what you enjoy.:highfive:

We all fall down, it's the getting back up and keep going thats important.

Do not be concerned about being overweight, you will find that there are quite a few overweight MA.

Training will help in that area too. When I started I was a good 50lbs heavier than I am now and not exactly the most graceful in my movements. The warm ups were a chore for me. I spent many sweaty exaughsting classes, just trying to keep up and every time I fell down I just kept getting up. When I didn't want to get up anymore the encouragement of my friends and classmates kept me going.

9 yrs later I'm still going, and anyone no matter who I train with, will always get all the help and encouragement I have to offer the same as it was kindly given to me.

Keep up the good work!!!

-Marc-

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know that I need to get over it, but does anyone have any suggestions? Right now, I just pull a judo roll and pop up laughing.

Jo-zen

Hi!

I understand you perfectly. I have flat feet (also known as pes planus or fallen arches) and it's specially hard for me to keep equilibrium, to have accuracy in my kicks and don't talk to me about jumping! LOL

When I joined taekwondo, it was so embarrasing at the beginning, but I really wanted to success, so I kept trying and I improved a lot. It was easier because my instructors and other students were so supportive! So, don't worry, everyone falls and everyone gets up, it's a natural part of martial arts ;)

And if you're really worried about your overweight, maybe it's time to visit, for example, a doctor specialist in human nutrition who can help you. Because this is important not only for martial arts but for your entire life.

Best wishes,

Latest Discussions