New with some questions

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by shellie, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Flea

Flea Beating you all over those fries!

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Hi ladies,

I just came across this thread and I wanted to say thanks. It's a great conversation and it's been very helpful to me in my own journey.

Flea

2. imitation_vanilla

imitation_vanilla Yellow Belt

The best class for you is one that feels comfortable and has good instruction and safety. If *anyone* treats you roughly, get the hell out of there. In a good school, you will feel respected and encouraged. There's a difference between using significant resistance/force appropriately to train and pulling crap that could hurt someone.

I deal with a lot of social anxiety, so when I went to a BJJ school, I wasn't sure how that would go--it's very hands-on, getting VERY close to people and lots of touching. But the instructors (all male) were so professional and it's-not-a-big-deal that I had no problem. It may be different for you, especially since the experience was so recent. I'd encourage you to shop around--many places will have a free introductory class so you can check out the school and get a feel for its vibe.

Happy hunting, and I applaud you for taking this step!

3. imitation_vanilla

imitation_vanilla Yellow Belt

It very much depends on the martial art. We don't touch the face in BJJ, at least that I've seen, but we do choke-holds, which would most likely NOT be your cup of tea. Don't be afraid to ask instructors about any concerns or things you're not okay with.

4. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Just FYI, the original post was made 9 years ago and the person who posted it hasn't been on the site since 2007. She's probably not going to ever read your encouraging remarks.

I see you've been responding to a lot of old threads. If you click on the "Active Topics" link on the top of the page you can see which threads are currently active. You might also consider posting a thread in the "Meet and Greet" section to introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about your training.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tames D

Tames D RECKLESS

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Pam, If you are reading this, I miss you!!!