TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For those following WT's new competition poomsae, a new video just dropped yo:

Of course, more at the wiki: Bigak Il Jang

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
These new forms are just weird to me. They seem to flip-flop theme wise all over the place. I break martial arts down into three categories: combat, sport, and art. In general, I categorize forms as the "art" part of martial arts, but "kata" can also be drills to practice technique for combat or sport.

As an example, at my school we have:
*Palgwe forms, designed to teach deep stances and the handwork used in self defense, as well as one-step punch/kick/grab drills designed to drill self defense. The principle here is deep stances, hard strikes to soft targets, and effectively controlling an encounter.
*Competition team, complete with drills that focus on Olympic-style sparring competition and tactics, to include shallower, quicker stances, quick kicks and headshots.
*Demonstration team, with stylized forms to music, Taekwondo dance, and then advanced kicking demonstrations with kicks that have no practical purpose

The Beegak forms seem to just jump around from practical techniques to sport techniques to flashy "look what I can do" techniques with no real rhyme or reason. It reads like the golden retriever puppy, saying "Sparring, fighting, slow motion kick, sparring, flashy combo, fighting, sparring..."

I guess the idea is to show all that Taekwondo has, but could they have at least made it make sense? Put in some poetry. Let each section be its own thing. First part of the form: traditional style poomsae. Second part: sparring style. Third part: slow motion techniques. Fourth part: solo self defense drills. Fifth part: flashy kicks.

This would still get all the different aspects of Taekwondo into the form, but at least it would make sense.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
At last, a practical punch in poomsae (sliding forward 1-2)!

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My attempt at a diagram, from watching the videos. Bee-gak Il Jang It's not entirely obvious from the diagram, but this is an I-shaped floor pattern.

Latest Discussions