New to Wing Chun

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with the guys who say to look around and not discount other arts. Personally, I'd love to try out Aikido, Iaido, Kendo, or Judo (which I may be starting in the near future).

I would say to try finding people through meetup.com, or some other means of networking, but if you're not comfortable even giving your general location out (much less meeting up with someone) that might not work.

simplewc101

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hey Zengatsu,

The guys here have said some good things.
I recommend reading through all the threads here at martial talk to learn about the basics of Wing Chun.
There's a ton on info on here about principles, theories, techniques, and lineage.

My opinion:
- focus on getting fit (maybe start for 2-3 months with P90X or Insanity)
you can strive for(start slow):
run 5 mi (8.05km) in 40-60 minutes 4 times per week
run 3mi (4083km) in 18 min
20 pullups - no time limit (if you can't do five, have someone help you til youcan)
100 crunches in 2 minutes (start at 3 sets of 20)
70 pushups in 2 minutes (start at 2 sets of 20)
Jump rope for 30 - 60 minutes (start at 12 w/ 1 min break 2 times)
- find some class that teaches punching. It doesn't matter what it is, just learn how to punch right now. Take Muay Thai or Boxing or something.

If you are set on learning Wing Chun move somewhere where there is a good teacher when you are old enough to do so.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you saying you can learn WC from a book? I've just gone over to JKD and despite over 20 years experience in martial arts I very much need an instructor to teach me. I understand the theories, the point of doing techniques in a certain way etc but dear me actually learning the techniques you very much need an instructor to show you. I'm enjoying the challenge but I believe WC would be very difficult to learn from a book especially for a beginner.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
You cannot really know how Wing Chun works through books. You can get mistaken ideas until you actually feel it. No replacement for experiencing something.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Are you saying you can learn WC from a book? I've just gone over to JKD and despite over 20 years experience in martial arts I very much need an instructor to teach me. I understand the theories, the point of doing techniques in a certain way etc but dear me actually learning the techniques you very much need an instructor to show you. I'm enjoying the challenge but I believe WC would be very difficult to learn from a book especially for a beginner.

Allow me to fix that ...

hjb wing chun

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I would really like to learn Wing Chun, but I really have no idea how. I'm 100% determened to learn Wing Chun. The problem is that there are no Wing Chun schools where I live. How would I possibly learn Wing Chun? Is there any books or something you guys recommend? I can't afford a wooden dummy. I really have no idea on what to do. Please help me out guys.

I'm 16 years old with no martial arts experience. I'm also a little chubby so I get easily tired. I have had bad health the past 2 years. ( 25% bodyfat )

Basically; I'm a fat loser that wants to learn Wing chun. No schools where I live and can't afford a wooden dummy. What to do?

You're not a loser. Lose the negativity. Won't help you in Wing Chun or life. Just move forward and work hard. It will stink while you're doing it but you'll feel better after.

You can build a wooden dummy for cheap. Check out you tube; there are multiple ones. Some branches use the dummy only to teach the hands; but the vast majority of schools teach the 3 forms, dummy, pole swords, etc. You can learn from working with the dummy but it will be limited. You would also not be able to grasp a bunch of concepts that someone can teach you hand to hand. If you're really that interested I can post some videos as I am teaching my friends, but you're going to learn way faster working with someone. At minimum you will need a training partner. The less attitude they have, the better.

Let me know if you're interested.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, HJB, Welcome to the forum. With your positive outlook, you'll fit right in here. We're the WC/VT/WT forum where people actually get along and try to foster some mutual respect. BTW on another post you talked about striking to the throat with "bil tzes and sats". "Sats" (Sat-sau/Shat-sau, Shat-geng-sau) isn't a term I've heard used a lot except in groups coming out of a WT background. On the other hand "bil tze" is a spelling used by the TWC people, isn't it? What's your lineage?

hjb wing chun

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey, HJB, Welcome to the forum. With your positive outlook, you'll fit right in here. We're the WC/VT/WT forum where people actually get along and try to foster some mutual respect. BTW on another post you talked about striking to the throat with "bil tzes and sats". "Sats" (Sat-sau/Shat-sau, Shat-geng-sau) isn't a term I've heard used a lot except in groups coming out of a WT background. On the other hand "bil tze" is a spelling used by the TWC people, isn't it? What's your lineage?

Thanks for the welcome. Sat gang sau=throat cutting hands; the hit with to the neck with the cutting edge of the hand. Same as Shat-geng-sau or apparently also known as fak sau. I was taught by 2 students of Jason Lau; they were Eddie Berger and Rob Bailey. Later I trained with Jason Lau for about a year. Jason's given Chinese name is Lau Wai; he learned from Jiu Wan, who studied under Yip Man.

Wingsingh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Zengatsu. If you search Master Wong on YouTube, he's got various free wing Chun lessons you can learn from. Likes other have said self-learning is not ideal but if you put some time in you'll definitely gain some benefits. Good luck to you.